exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
We thought it would be beneficial to start a resource thread explaining how to install ExoShield ULTRA and provide some resources handy if you recently purchased our product! If this seems like something you'd be interested in purchasing, at this moment we have an active 20% off code for forum members (for our online store only). CODE: NOMOREQUACKS20

First, WHAT is ExoShield ULTRA?

ExoShield ULTRA is our DIY windshield protection film kit made specifically for Jeeps (currently fits JLs, JKs, and JTs). We've been making windshield protection film for a while now, but we made ExoShield ULTRA specifically for flat, vertical windshields that have a tendency to break. It’s actually 60% thicker than our original GT3 film, maximizing the impact resistance so that Jeep owners can drive without worries.

The Installation Process
  1. Clean it. Thoroughly and I mean thoroughly clean your windshield, surrounding body panels, and the wipers. This is critical to prevent any sort of contamination sandwiched between your glass and the ExoShield film. We recommend a glass cleaner or alcohol-based solution. Then following up with a quick clean with soapy water with extra attention on flushing out the gaskets.
  2. Initial positioning. With the purchase of our toolkit, we provide a soapy solution to allow shifting of the film while it lays on your glass. Spray the solution and position the film (liner on the outside) to check the fit.
  3. Releasing the liner: Next up will be peeling back the plastic liner. Peeling it back halfway across the windshield & spraying the film with soapy water. Then re-placing the film back to its natural state. Then repeat the other half.
  4. Prep the film: With the liner side facing out, you will then roll up the film (very tightly) and reclean and wet your windshield with the soapy solution.
  5. Apply the film/Reverse Roll it: This starts the application of the film itself! Release a corner of the liner (with the film side facing out) and place the film adhesive onto the glass. This is where it gets easier with two people, unroll by gently pulling the liner while guiding the film into place.
  6. Final Positioning: Check the spacing, ensuring there is a 1/16” gap between the film and the edge of the windshield all the way around.
  7. Tacking: Squeegee time! Using a squeegee, squeegee across the center of the film horizontally to tack the film. This will be a great way to keep the film in its place while you focus on getting all of the moisture out!
  8. Final Squeegee: Firmly squeegee all fingers, bubbles, and excess water from the film.
  9. Finishing Touches: Touching up the edges may be necessary. Use a heat gun and a soft squeegee to make sure all fingers and edges are down! BAM! You’re done!
Installation Help-
Would it be better if you have some pictures to follow along with? Check out our installation card: HERE!
We also have videos that you can follow along with to make sure you get the perfect install: "how to" video & other installation tips!
Want a professional to do it? We have shops all over the world that can take care of the installation for you: Find your local installer to do it for you!
All-around help page: HELP!!
Sponsored

wingnut60

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Have not tried Exoshield, but do have RacingOptics film. DIY resulted in bubbling; they replaced, had tint shop install, now as advertised. Before the corrected install, had a rock hit, no damage. Did the film after losing 2 windshields towing behind motorhome. These films work, just not sure they can be done right by amateurs. Did not know of this Ecoshield prior to finding RacingOptics.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Have not tried Exoshield, but do have RacingOptics film. DIY resulted in bubbling; they replaced, had tint shop install, now as advertised. Before the corrected install, had a rock hit, no damage. Did the film after losing 2 windshields towing behind motorhome. These films work, just not sure they can be done right by amateurs. Did not know of this Ecoshield prior to finding RacingOptics.
I did this one as a DIY and it worked out good: https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

Sponsored

Jimgolf1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Same here. I installed Racing Optics film last week on a brand new windshield that never left the garage and can't get rid of the spots. It looks great for the 1st day and then tons of spots the next day. Some have gotten smaller. I'm going to put it out in the sun a few days and give it another week before ripping it off and trying another brand. I'll update as I work with them or try different one.

wingnut60

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
I am convinced I did not spend enough time and arm strength to squeegee the film on. I too had lots of gray/blue spots starting third day, they all disappeared, but then had some separations at lower edge and a big one on top. This time, professionally applied, at 12 days it is perfect. Good luck.

wingnut60

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
3 weeks today, film is perfect. Had another rock hit, no damage.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

If you already have minor pitting on your windshield can this be applied, or will it look awful?

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
If you already have minor pitting on your windshield can this be applied, or will it look awful?
Great question!! Small pits can be filled in by our film and it will lay just fine over the windshield without issue. But we do not recommend installing it if any cracks are forming/present!
Sponsored