How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Sting Grey Rubicon 4xE
You can pull off the side panel of the dash (what you see when you open/remove the door), and route the cable under that panel. It would leave a bit of cable poking up by the A-pillar, but at least it's not by any of the controls.
Sponsored

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks @dbp512. You had the right idea about routing the monitor cable. I did a dry run of the monitor harness cable as follows:

1) Removed the Instrument Panel End Cap
2) Removed the kick panel covering the door wiring harness down by the footwell.
3) Routed the Monitor harness cable down to that area.
4) Put the end cap and kick panel back on.

Once the cable is down there, it is just a matter of routing up to where the video interface is located.

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen Instrument Panel End Cap Left

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen Instrument Panel End Cap Removed

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen monitor cable routed via end ca

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen monitor cable routed via end cap 2

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen Monitor cable exiting door wiring harness area

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen put end cap back o

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen view of cable with door closed

Last edited:
OP
OP
C.Sco

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good! Now I need to do something like that with my cable.
I'm glad there's a quick-disconnect in that cable so this can be done really easily without have so cut and redo any wiring.

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My time and the weather finally aligned today to where I could get the power hooked up and tested it with just one camera. Hopefully the planets align again soon so that I can install all four cameras.

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1710707045404-hs
Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1710707053495-00

OP
OP
C.Sco

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the sun shield? I think I got one too but I didn't ever end up trying it out, so far sun glare hasn't really been an issue

Sponsored

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like the sun shield? I think I got one too but I didn't ever end up trying it out, so far sun glare hasn't really been an issue
I'm going to give it a try for a while. It doesn't seem to interfere with my hands on the steering wheel, so that is a good thing. After I get all the cameras hooked up, I will look for a sunny day and test it out on a trail. Will then try it both with it on and off.

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @C.Sco, quick question on the bullbar mounted camera. From the pics you posted, it looks like you have the camera pointed at the ground directly in front of the bumper. For rock crawling, that makes a lot of sense. Do you still find that optimal or have you made any adjustments since first setting it up?

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1711059253256-cf

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1711059291905-lr

OP
OP
C.Sco

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @C.Sco, quick question on the bullbar mounted camera. From the pics you posted, it looks like you have the camera pointed at the ground directly in front of the bumper. For rock crawling, that makes a lot of sense. Do you still find that optimal or have you made any adjustments since first setting it up?

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1711059291905-lr

I do still have it like that, although since the camera mount is hinged, I can always just tilt it up by hand real quick. But I do generally prefer it pointed down like that, it lets me see everything that the hood is normally blocking. I do wish the camera had a slightly wider angle like a fisheye lens, but it works okay as is.

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do wish the camera had a slightly wider angle like a fisheye lens, but it works okay as is.
This one should work as a wide-angle camera for the bullbar. $159 @ stinger and other sources. I may look into getting this myself at some point later, but for now I will just get things set up with the included cameras.

https://catalog.echomaster.com/catalog/ahd-cameras/phd5n1
UNIVERSAL MULTI-CONFIGURABLE AHD/CVBS CAMERA KIT
PART# PHD5N1
$159
Viewing Angle: 170 degrees

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@C.Sco, I replaced my bullbar camera with the 170 degree Stinger camera included with PHD5N1. Here is the difference:

140 Degree View:
Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1712523453787-8

170 Degree View:
Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1712523495676-qv

Now I just got to get some more nice days like today, so I can install the three underbody cameras.

Sponsored

OP
OP
C.Sco

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@C.Sco, I replaced my bullbar camera with the 170 degree Stinger camera included with PHD5N1. Here is the difference:

140 Degree View:
Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1712523495676-qv

170 Degree View:

Now I just got to get some more nice days like today, so I can install the three underbody cameras.
Oh man that's way better. I'm gonna have to pick up one of those cameras

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man that's way better. I'm gonna have to pick up one of those cameras
The nice thing is you can use the same bracket the current camera is using. Makes it real easy. Also, you don't need to hook up the extra wire harness it comes with.

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Sting Grey Rubicon 4xE
Alright giant yellow duck-jeep, you've clearly spent quite some time looking into all these systems and components. I have a question you might be able to answer (or anyone else if they know). It looks like that camera uses a small 5 pin, as seen in this pic from their site:
PHD5N1-71.png

Is that some sort of standard CCTV plug? I have a camera system from a Japanese company (Akeeyo) which uses similar looking plugs I haven't seen before. I really like both the cameras and screen it uses, but it's limited to 2 channels. I'd ideally find a way to add another pair of cameras to cover my rear sides, exactly like these. If the systems can easily interface with one another, I might have to play around with my jeeps' camera toys.

RubiDukkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like that camera uses a small 5 pin

Is that some sort of standard CCTV plug? I have a camera system from a Japanese company (Akeeyo) which uses similar looking plugs I haven't seen before.

I really like both the cameras and screen it uses, but it's limited to 2 channels. I'd ideally find a way to add another pair of cameras to cover my rear sides
All I know about the plugs is they are called 5-ping mini din plugs. I googled "Waterproof Automobile Camera 5 pin Mini Din Male Female Plug" and get a number of hits.

Jeep Wrangler JL How To: Install Stinger 4-camera DVR system & Echomaster 7" screen 1712619935218-de

Other than adding the 170 degree wide angle camera, I purchased the same system that @C.Sco has installed on his Jeep. Our monitor has two channels, but the system only uses one. The video interface has four camera inputs and one monitor output, which isn't 5-pin mini din.

You might have to contact Akeeyo support and ask them if they sell an interface or another rear view mirror/monitor that supports four inputs. I myself contacted Stinger support before adding the 170 degree camera to make sure it was compatible with the existing system. Good luck.

OP
OP
C.Sco

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The nice thing is you can use the same bracket the current camera is using. Makes it real easy. Also, you don't need to hook up the extra wire harness it comes with.
Just ordered one. Another upside is that now I have a spare camera to keep in my glovebox for when I inevitably smash one on the trail someday!
Sponsored