Sponsored

How to install Rubicon take off suspension on Sport S

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Have you gotten an estimate? My local shop is charging $200 for 2 hours which is cheaper than the tools I’ll need to buy
Where is that? I'll have to get a quote from them. I have all the tools but thats cheap enough where I wouldn't even bother
Sponsored

OP
OP

Whoisalejo

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Nice!
I need an inch or so lift so my engine skid doesn't hit my axle, what would you recommend between Rubicon take offs and a spacer lift? Prices seem to be about the same.
The way I see it, more suspension beats a spacer lift since it'll give you that much more travel. Granted an inch and a half isnt all that much, but every little bit helps

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
There is no need for spring compressor or to remove brake calipers.

The brake lines are held in place in two places. One close to the wheel hub, fastener going towards center of hub, and farther up on the frame. Remove both and you have plenty of flex to remove a 4inch spring and install. Yours are much shorter.

You will also have to disconnect the FAD connector on the front,, and the vent hose to the axle for both axles.

Go slow and watch your lines. Having 2 floor jacks makes life easier. Otherwise proper use of a jack stand will help.

Don't try to do it with tires on. It's possible, but the extra working space will save time. Maybe a good time to rotate tires too!

Overall process:

Raise jeep and support on frame. Tires should be in the air.
* remove tires
* loosen upper and lower control arms, front and back.
* loosen track bar frame side and axle side
* remove swaybar lower links (18mm) on front both sides.
* disconnect fad, lockers, air vent and all retainer clips on the axle
* loosen brake line retention.
*loosen shock upper bolts

*Raise axle to support on one side with a jack stand or spare floor jack
* raise other side, remove shock lower bolt, and slowly lower. Watch brake lines, and adjust where need so that they do not bend or kink.

*remove spring. Pay attention to top of spring mount. It must be seated with the nubs going thru holes in spring housing. Use tape to hold in place if required.

*replace spring perch if required. Pay attention to orientation. The spring end should hit the perch to be properly held in place from twisting.

*raise axle while watching spring seat and clock.
* reconnect lower shock, tighten bolt then loosen slightly
*repeat other side
*reconnect fad, locker, air vent, brake retention
*put tires on
*lower vehicle to ground.
*shake and bounce jeep. Do this on all 4 sides.
*torque control arms, track bar, shocks, and swaybar links

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There is no need for spring compressor or to remove brake calipers.

The brake lines are held in place in two places. One close to the wheel hub, fastener going towards center of hub, and farther up on the frame. Remove both and you have plenty of flex to remove a 4inch spring and install. Yours are much shorter.

You will also have to disconnect the FAD connector on the front,, and the vent hose to the axle for both axles.

Go slow and watch your lines. Having 2 floor jacks makes life easier. Otherwise proper use of a jack stand will help.

Don't try to do it with tires on. It's possible, but the extra working space will save time. Maybe a good time to rotate tires too!

Overall process:

Raise jeep and support on frame. Tires should be in the air.
* remove tires
* loosen upper and lower control arms, front and back.
* loosen track bar frame side and axle side
* remove swaybar lower links (18mm) on front both sides.
* disconnect fad, lockers, air vent and all retainer clips on the axle
* loosen brake line retention.
*loosen shock upper bolts

*Raise axle to support on one side with a jack stand or spare floor jack
* raise other side, remove shock lower bolt, and slowly lower. Watch brake lines, and adjust where need so that they do not bend or kink.

*remove spring. Pay attention to top of spring mount. It must be seated with the nubs going thru holes in spring housing. Use tape to hold in place if required.

*replace spring perch if required. Pay attention to orientation. The spring end should hit the perch to be properly held in place from twisting.

*raise axle while watching spring seat and clock.
* reconnect lower shock, tighten bolt then loosen slightly
*repeat other side
*reconnect fad, locker, air vent, brake retention
*put tires on
*lower vehicle to ground.
*shake and bounce jeep. Do this on all 4 sides.
*torque control arms, track bar, shocks, and swaybar links
it can be done without a spring compressor. I use them because I have them. Autozone also rents them.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Where is that? I'll have to get a quote from them. I have all the tools but thats cheap enough where I wouldn't even bother
Just a local shop a few blocks from me but I wouldn’t recommend them because my lca bolts came loose. They need 190lbs of torque. Had to order deep sockets and impact it myself.

What I recommend is go on google maps and start calling shops from nearest to farthest for estimates. That’s what I did

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
harbor freight spring compressor cost like 30 bucks maybe less then 20 onsale looks like it will kill you but gets the job done.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Spring compressors are great tools, but require some education and care with use. There are vehicles that require the use of compressors, such as those with struts.

Jeeps don't require compressors, following the procedure I outlined.

If you have them, they can save time. Just don't let this happen to you.
received_143996890891021.jpeg