Sponsored

How to install radar detector without powered mirror or HomeLink buttons?

raiken1

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2Dr
Hello all,
I just purchased a Sport S 2 door about 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to find a way to hardwire my radar detector without any luck.

I don’t have a powered mirror, HomeLink buttons or aux buttons. I have checked the wires above the mirror and none seem to be 12v. The wires to the mirror are 12v, but are always hot. Do I have any options other than wiring to a cigarette lighter?
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Well your second option is probably run the wire top, down the passenger side, go through firewall and use an “add a fuse” in the fuse box.

I do this on many cars but they usually have the fuse box inside the car so running through the wire wall makes it a little more challenging.

That would be your best bet. I have a Rubi so I had power by the mirror and the entire project took me all of about 15 minutes.

OP
OP
raiken1

raiken1

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the idea. I had thought of that too. I could also run one to the cigarette lighter in the trunk. I was just curious if there may be something else I could tap into in the driver or passenger areas. I also tapped into my power mirror in my previous vehicles, but not an option now.

ChicagoShoop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well your second option is probably run the wire top, down the passenger side, go through firewall and use an “add a fuse” in the fuse box.

I do this on many cars but they usually have the fuse box inside the car so running through the wire wall makes it a little more challenging.

That would be your best bet. I have a Rubi so I had power by the mirror and the entire project took me all of about 15 minutes.

Which wires did you use to tap into the mirror? I’m thinking about doing the same. Not for speeding but when I travel in Wisconsin they pull over Illinois plates for going like 5 over. It’s nuts.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
Wouldn't there be power in the driver's a Pilar if you have the garage door opener that you can tap into?

OP
OP
raiken1

raiken1

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have the garage door opener, so the only power is constant for the visor light.
Sponsored