How to identify Sailcloth or Twill Mopar top

Dragonheart

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahra
I may be buying a top here close to town. The owner is not sure if it is the sailcloth or the twill version (it is off of his 2018 JLU). Is there part number stamps on it or on a tag somewhere that I could have him look to verify? It is about 45mis each way so before I drive over there was hoping to verify it is the twill version. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I may be buying a top here close to town. The owner is not sure if it is the sailcloth or the twill version (it is off of his 2018 JLU). Is there part number stamps on it or on a tag somewhere that I could have him look to verify? It is about 45mis each way so before I drive over there was hoping to verify it is the twill version. Any help would be appreciated.
Twill is a heavier fabric and softer to the touch - but that doesn't help from 45 minutes away. If you can get a close up picture in advance, the twill top will have perpendicular lines in it (like corduroy) while the sailcloth with have a flatter diamond pattern. It also looks blacker than sailcloth if its been in the sun for some time. A skeptic would say if the seller "is not sure" then its safer to presume it is sailcloth, since twill costs more, would've been an optional upgrade, and carriers a better warranty.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

ive had both.

sailcloth is more of a charcoal-grayish black. twill is BLACK. the twill looks and feels like a premium material. sailcloth almost feels like a canvas material.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It's really vinyl versus fabric. And the sailcloth will be a much lighter shade of black, pretty much grey in my opinion.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Twill is a heavier fabric and softer to the touch - but that doesn't help from 45 minutes away. If you can get a close up picture in advance, the twill top will have perpendicular lines in it (like corduroy) while the sailcloth with have a flatter diamond pattern. It also looks blacker than sailcloth if its been in the sun for some time. A skeptic would say if the seller "is not sure" then its safer to presume it is sailcloth, since twill costs more, would've been an optional upgrade, and carriers a better warranty.
Agreed. We have both in our house - my wife's JLUS has the dual-top group so that comes with the twill top. My JL has the sailcloth top. The sailcloth just has a rugged, all-business look about it. The twill is most definitely a more luxurious-looking top. Also, the sailcloth lets in a little more road/wind noise on the highway because the twill has an extra layer of cloth on the inside.

@Dragonheart make sure you know what top it is before you agree on a price - a used sailcloth top should be priced lower than a twill top.

OP
OP

Dragonheart

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahra
Thanks all for the quick feedback!

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Yes it’s Twill, the sunlight on the back makes it look light.
Gregj

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Its hard to check it without putting it on a jeep. Check that you have all the parts and bolts.
Will do! Wonder if I should ask to see if I could install it in the seller’s driveway to make sure nothing is broken?
Sponsored