How to identify an e torque engine

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2020 Wrangler. My wife has a 2018 Sport. I have seen differences between the engines on our respective Jeeps. For example, her's has two bottles of a pink liquid on either side of the window washer fluid bottle. Mine only has one. I cannot see an alternator on her engine. She gets better gas mileage than I do. (But that could be because of my lead foot). I am sure there are other differences but I do not have her Jeep here to look at.

Does she have an e-torque setup? And exactly what is e-torque?
Sponsored

Overkill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.camaroheaven.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon; 2018 JLU Sahara; 2002 TJ Sport; 2005 GMC 2500HD; 1969 Camaro (blue); 1969 Camaro (red); 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne K20
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Wrangler. My wife has a 2018 Sport. I have seen differences between the engines on our respective Jeeps. For example, her's has two bottles of a pink liquid on either side of the window washer fluid bottle. Mine only has one. I cannot see an alternator on her engine. She gets better gas mileage than I do. (But that could be because of my lead foot). I am sure there are other differences but I do not have her Jeep here to look at.

Does she have an e-torque setup? And exactly what is e-torque?
Here's a thread that talks about the different pieces of the BSG (belt starter Generator) e-Torque engine. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...hybrid-system-components-mgu-cables-ppu.2140/

It is basically a generator that normally charges the 48 volt battery that then charges the 12 volt battery that is used for normal things in the Jeep. When taking off from a stop, up to 1500 RPM, the 48 4olt battery pushes power back to the BSG which turns the engine to help it get moving easier. BSG/e-Torque is sometimes called a mild hybrid since it is using the battery, but not like a full hybrid does.

Here's the engine bay of my 2019 2.0 BSG.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to identify an e torque engine 20200828_171428

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Both 2.0’s I assume? If so her’s is an e-Torque, the third coolant bottle is for the 48 volt battery and the BSG. Hers will have a large battery pack on the left side of the frame opposite the gas tank. And have much smoother ESS events.
Gregj

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Both 2.0’s I assume? If so her’s is an e-Torque, the third coolant bottle is for the 48 volt battery and the BSG. Hers will have a large battery pack on the left side of the frame opposite the gas tank. And have much smoother ESS events.
Gregj
I would not know a 2.0 if I drove one. I thought I understood Jeeps until we bought hers in 2018.
Oh, and the second coolant bottle is for the water to air intercooler and turbo.
Gregj
Well, I do not have that second bottle and I have a turbo.
I drove a 1979 CJ7 for about 10 years. Things have changed!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I would not know a 2.0 if I drove one. I thought I understood Jeeps until we bought hers in 2018.

If you have a turbo, you have a 2.0.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Oh, and the second coolant bottle is for the water to air intercooler and turbo.
Gregj
Maybe on those, the 3.6 etorques also have a second Coolant bottle as the battery itself is liquid cooled/heated

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD

Turbo charged four cylinder engine, the engine cover has 2.0L on it. Other available engine was a 3.6 L v-6.

e-Torque wasn’t available on the 3.6 in 2018.
Gregj

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Turbo charged four cylinder engine, the engine cover has 2.0L on it. Other available engine was a 3.6 L v-6.

e-Torque wasn’t available on the 3.6 in 2018.
Gregj
OK understand. I am still getting used to the lingo you guys use.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
2.0 = approx 124 cubic inches, give or take a few.
3.6 = approx 226 cubic inches, give or take a few.

eTorque is the Belt driven Starter/Generator

A turbo charger is forced air induction which uses exhaust gas velocity to spin a turbine inside the tubo housing that creates a vortex of air that is then sent into a cooler, then into the intake side of the engine. This compressed air pressure acts as in a similar way that a supercharger does. The amount of air forced into the engine then equals and engine with about double the displacement, depending on the turbos ability to produce boost, under full throttle. This is a simplified explanation.

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
2.0 = approx 124 cubic inches, give or take a few.
3.6 = approx 226 cubic inches, give or take a few.

eTorque is the Belt driven Starter/Generator

A turbo charger is forced air induction which uses exhaust gas velocity to spin a turbine inside the tubo housing that creates a vortex of air that is then sent into a cooler, then into the intake side of the engine. This compressed air pressure acts as in a similar way that a supercharger does. The amount of air forced into the engine then equals and engine with about double the displacement, depending on the turbos ability to produce boost, under full throttle. This is a simplified explanation.
I understand what turbo does.

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
What lingo do you use to describe an engine displacement?
I have never learned the metric conversions for engine displacement or tire size. Still don't know why they changed it. Yes, I am very old school.