How to have Alternator charging at 14 V constantly ? Dual batt setup

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Does anybody know how to make the alternator charge at 14V constantly? Have a dual battery setup and having some difficulties charging the second battery if driving short distances daily. I know some others have installed dual battery setup as well, wondering if they have similiar issues..
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why you want to keep the battery at 14v? During my short distance drives, I'm always at 14-14.2v.

OP
OP

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why you want to keep the battery at 14v? During my short distance drives, I'm always at 14-14.2v.
Fridge runs 24x7 off the 2nd battery and noticing if driving around town (daily commute) not charging all the way.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Fridge runs 24x7 off the 2nd battery and noticing if driving around town (daily commute) not charging all the way.

The battery from the factory is an AGM type battery. The second battery that you installed? Is it an AGM also?? When I install batteries I find sister batteries. AGM charge a little differently then flooded cell batteries. Never mix the two. ie AGM deep cycle with AGM deep cycle. Flooded cell with flooded cell. I hope this helps

OP
OP

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The battery from the factory is an AGM type battery. The second battery that you installed? Is it an AGM also?? When I install batteries I find sister batteries. AGM charge a little differently then flooded cell batteries. Never mix the two. ie AGM deep cycle with AGM deep cycle. Flooded cell with flooded cell. I hope this helps
I should have been more specific. I installed a Genesis dual battery system with dual Odyssey AGM batteries. The second battery I have wired to fridge and accessories. The second battery only charges when the main battery has a reading of I believe 13.1V. Therefore with the current alternator charging profile of the JL, it takes a long time for the second battery to adequately charge IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Haha yeah I really needed the 4 door with two toddlers so the tj was out. And used jkur's in my area were just about the same price of my jlur. Ill just live with it if I can't find a work around.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Has anyone asked Genesis about this? It seems like a problem if their dual battery setup isn't being charged properly by our alternators. I am looking into this dual battery setup for piece of mind, but I have been hearing of issues related to keeping them charged properly, which defeats the purpose.

OP
OP

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone asked Genesis about this? It seems like a problem if their dual battery setup isn't being charged properly by our alternators. I am looking into this dual battery setup for piece of mind, but I have been hearing of issues related to keeping them charged properly, which defeats the purpose.
I sent an email but never got a response..

I did some research on the IBS (intelligent battery system/sensor) and found that by simply disconnecting the sensor connector going to ibs module (black box sensor on battery ground) I am able to get consistent 14v+ charging. As always YMMV.

Sponsored

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35

I did some research on the IBS (intelligent battery system/sensor) and found that by simply disconnecting the sensor connector going to ibs module (black box sensor on battery ground) I am able to get consistent 14v+ charging. As always YMMV.
But any issues with codes or battery light?

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

I would be leary of doing this. I am not for sure how Genesis system works but I don't think their dual battery kit controls amps to the second battery but works on voltage, for example when using an ACR (Automatic Charging Relay). So when your main battery is charge fully and your second battery has a low SOC are you going to over charge the main battery? I would be curious to know this. IMO the best way to do accomplish charging the second battery for your situation is a DC2DC charger. But I can only assume when you purchased the Genesis you had your refrigerator in mind.

OP
OP

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I would be leary of doing this. I am not for sure how Genesis system works but I don't think their dual battery kit controls amps to the second battery but works on voltage, for example when using an ACR (Automatic Charging Relay). So when your main battery is charge fully and your second battery has a low SOC are you going to over charge the main battery? I would be curious to know this. IMO the best way to do accomplish charging the second battery for your situation is a DC2DC charger. But I can only assume when you purchased the Genesis you had your refrigerator in mind.
Never dived into too much battery charging theory but when the voltage is 13.7 and above( don’t recall exact voltage) the circuit is closed so they are in parallel therefore load balancing and charging both at the same time. I use a trickle charger when parked for long durations at home. The charger is connected to both batteries as that’s what genesis recommended on their web site. Or should say I did, I’ve since built up a tundra and moved the fridge there with rtt and solar plus jackery. All I know is I’ve had it this way for about two years now and never had an issue. The agm batteries like to be charged with higher voltage from what I read. As always YMMV. Looking back if I just wanted to run the fridge I would of went the jackery route, but at least I won’t have to worry about the small 2nd battery dying haha
Sponsored