ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Dude, LOVE that signature! Hilarious!
I can’t take all the credit, there was a B6G member who had a very similar signature, but something about a Bronco rendering a wrangler powerless. Pure foolishness, I tell ya. Ain’t no cowboy worth his salt what can’t break a bronco.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about this particular instance or just any survey in general?
In general I suppose. I'm in the industry so I know the feeling. My advisor starts to talk about the survey when I pick up my Jeep from the dealer and all I can do is reassure him it will be taken care of. He can rest at ease and know i've got his back.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I've worked in marketing/customer service for 16+ years. I know a few facts about those surveys that should factor into how you answer it:
  1. Almost NOBODY actually completes them. Most companies have a whole metric that just tracks whether or not people bothered to respond at all.
  2. Happy Customers rarely respond - they just don't take the time, cause they're happy
  3. Upset Customers ALWAYS respond - it gives them another outlet "to be heard"
  4. Typically, the results factor into a salesperson's bonus, commission, and/or performance review.
  5. They almost NEVER factor into any position higher than the frontline, at least not individually. For example, YOUR survey has a direct impact on YOUR SALESMAN. It averages into a metric that the GM is held against, but has little DIRECT sway in his metric, as the GM would be judged against the entire dealership's survey results.

If you have any reason to not mark 100%, 5 stars, 10s, or whatever the metric, and *maybe* 1 'measure' below max on 1-2 items (i.e. one 4-star answer, or an 8/9 on something), you should absolutely 100% contact the *SALESPERSON* and let them know. At least give them the chance to make it right.

But rating them poorly does basically nothing to the GM. It makes a *huge* difference to the sales guy.

You should also NOT mark "all A's" if you had a crappy experience. Be truthful, just know the above so you know who it affects.

ALSO - if the survey says you'll be entered in for a chance to win [whatever it is], you should always, 100% take the time to do it. See #1 above.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
When I asked whether the odometer number could be changed to match what was on the vehicle when delivered, he first said that there was no way for him to verify the odometer. I offered to take a pic or for his delivery guys to tell him. Then he said that it would not be "notarized." I pointed out the form did not require a notary. That is when he said I did not have to sign but if I did not, they would drive the vehicle back to the dealership. I suspect he was just unprepared to be questioned about this issue and was making up excuses on the fly, but the threat to remove the vehicle did not sit well with me.
You're trying to drive a thumb tack with a freakin sledge hammer!! Get on with life and stop acting like some poor victim. You approved the driver delivery which means it was yours when it left the dealer. Next time, get it yourself.

This is a classic example of 1000 "at-a-boys" negated with one "oh shit"!!

Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I got an email with the "Jeep Dealership Experience Survey." I gather this is important to the dealer as I had earlier gotten an email asking me to call the sales manager or general manager if I was going to give anything other than the highest possible marks to the dealer. Just looking for others' perspective regarding the issues I had to see if I am perhaps looking at this the wrong way.

On the plus side, I found the sales manager (the person I dealt with) to be pleasant on the phone and did not try to rush me. The pricing was among the most competitive around (just over 10% below MSRP on a custom order), and he did respond to my emails for status most of the time appropriately. He is a high volume dealer and there were no hidden fees or games on pricing or hard sells for extras or a warranty or what have you. I also had trouble with getting my control number from the Tread Lightly website (which really sucks) and he helped with that and solved the problem. When it came time for the vehicle to be delivered, the pricing given for delivering the vehicle to me (to save me the long trip to the dealer) was very fair.

On the negative side, the issues I had were mostly minor. He was slow at times (usually one or two days) to respond to emails and he occasionally did not respond at all. If I called him and he did not pick up, I would leave a message but don't think he ever returned a phone call, which was frustrating at times. But it was really the final paperwork/delivery that left a bad taste in my mouth though perhaps I am overreacting. He quoted me $500 to have the jeep trucked to me or he could have the jeep driven to me for $250. I asked his opinion and he told me he had no issues with his folks delivering it by driving it. I asked him about damage and he said that any damage that occurred on the way to me would be on them. So I took the driving it to me option for less money. The paperwork included an odometer statement that the jeep had only 5 miles on the odometer. I called him and told him that I thought my warranty would start with the mileage on the jeep when I took possession and that there was nearly 300 miles on the odometer and that I did not think it was right that I should have to sign a false statement that I was taking possession of the jeep with only 5 miles when that was clearly not the case. I admit I did not ask about this issue in advance, but thought that since any damage that occurred prior to delivery was on them (which he confirmed) I thought warranty would start on delivery. There was also no way for me to know what the mileage was on it prior to the trip as his delivery folks got lost (another nitpick, they were supposed to call me prior to arrival but they said they were not given my number). His position on the odometer statement was that I did not have to sign it but if I did not sign it as is (he would not change it) that they would drive the jeep back to the dealership. This is what left a bad taste in my mouth. Had I known that the miles driven by his delivery were going to be charged against my warranty and that I would have to sign an odometer statement that was false, I would have had the jeep trucked to me. Last nitpick was that I saw (in advance) that there was a "binding arbitration" clause in the contract. I asked about this and was referred to the GM of the dealership who told me that this was required but that if I did not like the result of arbitration I could file for a "trial de novo" and have a trial if I wanted. I did some research and consulted with a lemon lawyer (as those rights are what I was wanting to preserve given some folks have had to use the lemon law on 4XE vehicles) and the lemon lawyer confirmed that the arbitration clause was indeed enforceable and no "trial de novo" was available for a voluntary binding arbitration. Since the lemon law is against the manufacturer and not the dealer here, that did not matter, but I did not like being told false information by the GM (who should have known better).

Am I wrong to have trouble leaving highest possible marks on the survey given the above experience? I have not called the sales manager or GM since delivery. Appreciate any thoughts.
As I understand it, the warranty technically starts at the odometer reading whenever the vehicle is titled over to you, not when it is delivered to you. The odometer reading is recorded with the NC DMV as part of the titling process, the paperwork for which DOES have to be notarized. I would guess that he wanted the vehicle to be officially "yours" before it left the dealership, and therefore it needed to be titled and the odometer reading recorded at that time.

It's unfortunate that he didn't explain that particularly well to you. But it's over and done with, and there's no rolling back the odometer or changing what was recorded with the NC DMV. I highly doubt you'll have issues at 30,200 miles that you weren't having at 29,900, so I wouldn't stress about that too much. I'd be more concerned with the exact date the warranty begins rather than the mileage, personally.

Was the binding arbitration clause in the finance/lease contract? Usually in NC there's no purchase contract other than the bill of sale, so I find that very odd. Not thrilled about random arbitration clauses, though they're almost unavoidable these days.

My personal stance on surveys is -- I fill it out if the experience was really good or really bad, otherwise I ignore it.

OP
OP

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
As I understand it, the warranty technically starts at the odometer reading whenever the vehicle is titled over to you, not when it is delivered to you. The odometer reading is recorded with the NC DMV as part of the titling process, the paperwork for which DOES have to be notarized. I would guess that he wanted the vehicle to be officially "yours" before it left the dealership, and therefore it needed to be titled and the odometer reading recorded at that time.

It's unfortunate that he didn't explain that particularly well to you. But it's over and done with, and there's no rolling back the odometer or changing what was recorded with the NC DMV. I highly doubt you'll have issues at 30,200 miles that you weren't having at 29,900, so I wouldn't stress about that too much. I'd be more concerned with the exact date the warranty begins rather than the mileage, personally.

Was the binding arbitration clause in the finance/lease contract? Usually in NC there's no purchase contract other than the bill of sale, so I find that very odd. Not thrilled about random arbitration clauses, though they're almost unavoidable these days.

My personal stance on surveys is -- I fill it out if the experience was really good or really bad, otherwise I ignore it.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Most issues arise from a lack of communication. I am leaning towards just not filling out the survey. I would give pretty good marks, but not sure I could give perfect 10's across the board so better to ignore it.

Regarding your question on the binding arbitration agreement, it is in the middle section of the "retail buyers order." I was unsure if the lemon law procedure in NC was against the dealer or the manufacturer. Once I determined it was the manufacturer, the clause then did not bother me. I just did not want to be limited only to the option of arbitration if a lemon law situation were to arise. I hate arbitration clauses but they are increasingly close to ubiquitous.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
If they entered the expect mileage into the system and they totaled the your Jeep during the delivery. If it had less mileage than the what was entered, the dealership could be a lot of hot water.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I'm not sure I understand what the concern is here. Is it that the dealer gave a bunch of test drives in your custom order prior to driving it to you? I.E. the dealer is a lot less than 295 miles away?

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It sounds like this dealership bent over backwards for you in regard to all aspects of the process.

They did you a huge favor by driving the jeep to you and you're going to bitch about the warranty starting with 300 miles??? You realize if you were to hire a vehicle transport carrier it would cost you $600+ and there is no guarantee when they will pick it up or drop it off?

Honest opinion, you sound like a spoiled brat that expects the world to revolve around you.

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
Sorry for the long post.

I want to address the binding arbitration. The binding arbitration is done in low of a court trial to resolve issues. The issue you need to be concerned with is that who is paying the arbitrator. In most cases it is the manufacturer who is paying them which in some cases will cause a bias. If you are like most people prior to going to the GM you give the money that you deposit /pay in full prior to seeing that document. If so you can sign it put note on the master copy by your signature put a note that this was presented after the initial payment was made and hacpve the dealer initial. What this gives you is a right not to choose arbitration. If you are financing any of the purchase it is presented prior to you signing the note it is considered a non term. This arbitration doesn’t do anything to the dealer. The arbitration is for the manufacturer since the dealer has indemnification for any manufacturers issues. They are just the agent for them.
I had this when we purchased my wife Kia Sportage in May. We paid by bank check to the sales manager. Waited for the fincan e manager who handled the paperwork. He handed me each paper which I read and either agreed to sign or not sign. i did not sign thecarbitration form. He questioned me and agreed that I did not have to sign. I saw him when I picked up the plates and they have since changed the way they do the financial payment. it is now done at the time when all paperwork is complete. I did get a cal from the Kia District Manager and explained. To him.
i did have an issue with the odometer reading saying it had 6 mikes on it when in fact it had 54 miles. I knew that based on the cars being moved around between the storage lot and the sales lot. They corrected the reading in the paperwork with no,issues.

Also inspect the vehicle prior to signing the paperwork and providing final payment of any issues you see.
just so you know I do contracts as part of my job.

best of luck

RCSDJeep

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6L
Sounds like you got a great deal and a dealership that went the extra mile. I would have gladly paid to have someone deliver my JLUR the 350 miles I drove it home but my purchasing dealership did not offer that service. It's obvious to me that the warranty would start at the time of purchase, not delivery. I recommend you give the dealership a perfect rating and use this experience as a lesson learned on your next purchase.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

One of the worst jobs I ever had is being a Director of Service for an RV dealership. 99.99% of the time the customers that you tried the hardest to please gave you the toughest surveys. This feels eerily similar.

Amazing deal and “I’ll bring it to you” but you want to hammer them because you were too cheap to have it trucked and apparently too busy to get it yourself.

Perfection is never a reasonable expectation and you will be disappointed almost always, but expecting a great effort and being nice during the process is reasonable. It sounds like they did that.

Take care of them on the survey and maybe you’ll get 12% off on your next Jerp.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.