How to Get a Good Deal on a 2018 Wrangler JLU

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster
You take a test drive, mentioning your knowledge of the steering issue. You show the salesman how it wanders on the highway. You tell the salesman/sales manager that you will not buy one with this issue. These sales people ARE AWARE of this issue. They will try to minimize the issue and try to get you to agree that YOU (not your wife or other less experienced drivers) will be able to drive it and enjoy it even with this small? issue.

At this point, if you really need to have it, offer about 30% below MSRP. You may be surprised at the deal you will get.

My motivation for posting this: I want to purchase a JLU without the steering issue and JEEP/Chrysler has so far been unwilling/unable to fix it.

I have driven 5 Jeep Wrangler JLU's at 5 different dealerships in 2 states and all 5 had the "loose" "wandering" steering issue. The build dates (posted on inside of driver's door frame) ranged from 4/18 through 9/18. I love the JLU, and was prepared to buy or lease the one built 9/18, as it was just delivered to the dealer and I figured that the steering issue would be corrected on it. It was not and I was a bit upset.

So, after driving the 9/18 built JLU, I test drove 2 JLU's in another state and they both had the steering issue. At one of these dealerships, they seemed willing to give me a great deal after I complained about the steering. So, I'm passing this strategy on to you.
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
You might love the idea of a JLU, but you don’t love the JLU- just the opposite, actually.

It sure sounds to me like it’s time to move on and buy a different car. What you just described is way more time spent than I’d be willing to devote to try to convince myself that I’ll be happy with something that, if I was completely honest with myself, I know I’d never be happy with. Each time the steeeing, or some other thing, deviated a small amount from your impossible to meet expectations, you’ll be upset. Man, trust me when I say this.. It just isn’t worth it.

Also, when a person like you leaves a car dealership, they mock you. Why? Because they have hundreds, some dealerships probably even thousands, of extremely happy JL customers referring friends and family to come in and buy one.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
What the hell did I just read?

OP
OP

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster
You might love the idea of a JLU, but you don’t love the JLU- just the opposite, actually.

It sure sounds to me like it’s time to move on and buy a different car. What you just described is way more time spent than I’d be willing to devote to try to convince myself that I’ll be happy with something that, if I was completely honest with myself, I know I’d never be happy with. Each time the steeeing, or some other thing, deviated a small amount from your impossible to meet expectations, you’ll be upset. Man, trust me when I say this.. It just isn’t worth it.

Also, when a person like you leaves a car dealership, they mock you. Why? Because they have hundreds, some dealerships probably even thousands, of extremely happy JL customers referring friends and family to come in and buy one.

OP
OP

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster

Sponsored

OP
OP

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster
Your critique of my point on steering has some merit. I notice that the picture of your JL is a 2 door. Does your car wander left and right when you are driving in a straight line? Maybe the JL does not have the issue where all JLU's seem to?

I'm retired and spend more time than most on due diligence.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Your critique of my point on steering has some merit. I notice that the picture of your JL is a 2 door. Does your car wander left and right when you are driving in a straight line? Maybe the JL does not have the issue where all JLU's seem to?

I'm retired and spend more time than most on due diligence.
My 2 door drives really well as long as you are respectful of the fact it’s a Wrangler and as such it’s not going to steer like just about any other vehicle built. But, to answer your question, in a straight line my Jeep is really predictable.

Due diligence isn’t a bad idea at all- we all did some before we bought our JLs. My only point was if you are hyper sensitive to something, and then you begin to fixate on it, you can find yourself never being able to enjoy yourself. You’re perhaps looking for a fault that really isn’t a fault at all. This is what can happen to a certain type of shopper who digs too deeply into forums like this one.

That’s why I suggested you maybe look at something different. I suspect there’s a good chance that you don’t like it because of the way it steers, not because it has a steering problem.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
There is a steering problem with some of the new JLs. I have experienced it first hand. The wheels constantly shimmies back and forth. The steering also reacts strange when you turn the wheel.

However, what you are describing sounds more like regular jeep steering. Jeeps require more attention to steering and tend to follow the lines, bumps, dips etc in the road more. It will not ride or handle like any other vehicle. Some people cannot get past this, for others it is driving a jeep.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
SOOOOOO......DID YOU GET 30% OFF MSRP!?!?!?

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
Just curious, but did you also make sure that the Tire PSI was at about 35-37 and not still at 45+ as they are when delivered to the dealership? But, beyond this, I agree that the steering in general is not like other vehicles (I've owned 6 vehicles so far and my JKU for the last 4 1/2 years, to me the JLU I test drove had much better steering than my JKU, and I test drove that back in February when I ordered mine; yes still waiting on a Feb. order).

Sponsored

Champ306

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JK, 18 JL
I want my time back for reading this post.

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Go to the OP's house. Mention you are aware of this thread. Show the OP how reading this thread was a waste of your time. If he does not offer to reimburse you enough for your time threaten to go to another user's house.
Feels like I just read this strategy elsewhere. In context of different things. Where could that be?
Sponsored