Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Wasn’t the issue with the 12991 that they wanted to reduce turbo coking? Maybe they’re trading increased internal wear for decreased turbo wear?
I would bet the real deal is that the MS-12991 keeps the DPF cleaner, lengthening it's lifespan.
Over on the oil forums where all the "experts" hang out, there's a big debate going about that. They are of the belief that API SN oils do not belong in a diesel engine, and the MS-12991 oils also do not belong since they are high in SAPS content. Those guys are of the opinion that FCA is just trying to get to the end of warranty period with the best fuel economy possible for CAFE scores, and they don't really care if your engine or emissions system dies at 101,000 miles.

It really does have the owners over a barrel. Do you run a diesel oil which is healthier for the engine and sacrifice 100,000 miles of warranty coverage? Do you run the spec'd oils to protect warranty, knowing that it's causing the engine to wear faster? What a mess.....
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Over on the oil forums where all the "experts" hang out, there's a big debate going about that. They are of the belief that API SN oils do not belong in a diesel engine, and the MS-12991 oils also do not belong since they are high in SAPS content. Those guys are of the opinion that FCA is just trying to get to the end of warranty period with the best fuel economy possible for CAFE scores, and they don't really care if your engine or emissions system dies at 101,000 miles.

It really does have the owners over a barrel. Do you run a diesel oil which is healthier for the engine and sacrifice 100,000 miles of warranty coverage? Do you run the spec'd oils to protect warranty, knowing that it's causing the engine to wear faster? What a mess.....
For us, this is the answer. I have no intention of ever getting rid of this Jeep, so engine longevity makes way more sense to me.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Id be hesitant about putting anything in my tank that was from the counter of my local parts store...regardless of what ppm the sulphur content is of the diesel thats available to me.

Diesel is and always will be a light oil so why wouldnt it lubricate? im interested in extending my engines life but dumping snake oil into the tank of a 70K jeep is not for me...

If the fuel pump grenades that would suck but warranties are there for a reason. just stick to quality fuels, recommended oils and filters you should be good. Mine has been great so far and going on 10,000km. The EGR and DPF are not ideal but why would you want to dump more nitrogen oxides into the world? especially in its current state...thats just me though.
Ok guys, start the flaming.
I had a 2000 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. It had the crappy VP44 injecor pump. I used Dino oil, and changed it every 5k miles. Now, the fun part. All the used oil, I filtered it, and poured it into the gas tank. This went on, for approx 120,000 miles, until I traded it in, for a 2006 . No side effects, other than the oil filter looking really black.
No, I dont still do that. Mainly because the CP3 pump is better engineered, and I use Synthetic Oils.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I had a 2000 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. It had the crappy VP44 injecor pump. I used Dino oil, and changed it every 5k miles. Now, the fun part. All the used oil, I filtered it, and poured it into the gas tank. This went on, for approx 120,000 miles, until I traded it in, for a 2006 . No side effects, other than the oil filter looking really black.
No, I dont still do that. Mainly because the CP3 pump is better engineered, and I use Synthetic Oils.
Those days are gone with these new injection systems. Dumping in engine oil on a VP44? I thought that was more of a 12valve thing, but you'll hear no trash talking from me. Fuel is fuel if it'll run it why not?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those days are gone with these new injection systems. Dumping in engine oil on a VP44? I thought that was more of a 12valve thing, but you'll hear no trash talking from me. Fuel is fuel if it'll run it why not?
A little extra lube for the VP44 never hurts.
If you did this,with the modern systems, I'm sure the DPF would get clogged up fast. No telling what the EGR cooler would look like.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Yep I remember those days well. A diesel engine would run on almost anything and you wouldn't have to turn a wrench on it for at least a quarter-million miles.

Unfortunately the EPA forced that to go away. With these new injection systems making 30,000 PSI at the fuel rail, you've got to be VERY strict with what you put in the fuel tank. Hearing stories of these $10,000 repair jobs terrifies me.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember dumping in old vegetable oil, a lot of peanut oil, and some other oils. I remember the exhaust smelled like French Fries, when some oils were used.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0

Geico MBI is the answer. If FCA wants to play this game for 36,000 miles, I’ll let geico pay the price later.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Geico MBI is the answer. If FCA wants to play this game for 36,000 miles, I’ll let geico pay the price later.
That’s actually not a bad plan at all.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I looked into that, but there were lots of stipulations and limitations to the coverage. After I read all the fine print, it didn't seem to be the silver bullet some guys said it was.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I looked into that, but there were lots of stipulations and limitations to the coverage. After I read all the fine print, it didn't seem to be the silver bullet some guys said it was.
I’ve read the fine print of that policy and not come across anything concerning regarding coverage of the typical failure parts on modern diesels. I have also seen primarily reports of smooth sailing with the claims process re non-3.0 wranglers so it’s worth it to me given the relative risk of parts failures in my use-case.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i may have put over 100K miles on my old Mercedes running BioDiesel, but i tried to treat my J**p with good conventional major-brand name fuel (sometimes with 5-20% fuel made from BioMass). sadly, i only got to do it about 10 times before the CP4 imploded at a mere 4,100 miles.

it's been waiting for parts now approaching 2 months. glad i wasn't way out in the weeds when it happened!

i'm very interested in finding anything to help avoid this in the future, so if anyone has found anything that is designed for the J**p EcoDiesel, please let us know!

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
After a long research i did, i came to the conclusion that i need to run fuel additives (because the CP4 pump was designed for European diesel which has more sulfur to lubricate) our diesel in the US does not have that (notice it always says ultra low sulfur at the pumps) and so we have to add additives. I got (hotshotsecret lx4-lubricity-extreme) and thats what i will be running to protect my CP4 pump and engine

Jeep Wrangler JL How to extend the life of your 3.0D 1628562697840

Its cheap and apparently pretty tested and works well! 1 Ounce per 10 gallons so about 1.6-1.8 ounces per fill up
Sponsored