How to evaluate axle centeredness?

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
Where is a good place to measure my axles to determine how centered they are? Things like the pumpkin and the frame, even mounts on the frame, aren't always symmetrical. I guess the U joints must be even in the front, and the hubs in the rear? Then measure relative to what?

Sometimes there's a theory behind things like this, and once I hear it I'm like oh!

I'm interested in both front and rear. Doesn't the axle move sideways a little under compression because the axle end of the track bar moves through an arc? Does that have to be compensated for? An axle that's dead center might not be in a loaded jeep, right?
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Just measure from a common point on the frame to a common point on the wheel or tire.
Just set a measuring tape on your tire. Make sure it touches the same spot on both sides. Take the measurement to the outside of the tire.

OP
OP

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hm, seems like straightforward ideas really. I guess I was kinda overthinking thinkng this.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Hm, seems like straightforward ideas really. I guess I was kinda overthinking thinkng this.
I just went through this when installing a lift. It was a bit intimidating at first but really not difficult to measure and fix (assuming you have adjustable track bars). Easier to adjust if you have two people but doable even by yourself. I used a ratchet strap attached to the frame on one side and the axle on the other side and got the track bar and axle mount hole lined up and inserted the bolt. Easy peasy.

OP
OP

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 door Rubicon is dead stock.
I measure the front axle to be exaclly centered, within about 1/16", wheter I use the fender or the spring perch. I measure the rear as shifted 3/8" to the left towards the driver.

My guess is that 3/8" is OK, but I'm a geek, so do you think it would make any difference to try and center it?
Sponsored