Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

Deleted member 59098

I’ll have to say the two door JL is sketchy AF when it’s only a couple inches deep on a highway in 2WD. Breaking the ass end lose is so easy. I’m able to control it thanks to having a ‘79 Toyota Hilux for many years in snow, but for people not used to snow, I suggest taking it slow.
Sponsored

D-rail

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon v6 2dr A8
Ooh! I love these threads! I have driven on ice for almost 40 years now. Here is how I rescue people / get to the store / drive like no problems when everyone else is in the ditch.

1. I use AT tires like General Grabber. No chains, no special snow tires.
2. I do not deflate my tires.
3. I use 4H. You can NOT do this in 2WD.
4. My secret is the clutch. As you start to slide down a hill, clutch in and let your tires roll on the ice.
5. Steer gently around obstacles and look for slush. Get one tire in the slush and engage into a high gear.

Using this method, driving slowly, and planning waaaay ahead where to steer to go around things has gotten me anywhere I need to go.

Whenever people say "4 WhEeL DrIvE DoEsNt HeLp oN iCe!" I Just laugh. Don't tell Picasso he can't paint!

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
Ill add in my 2 cents whether worth it or not!
BEWARE OF BLACK ICE😱! And both hands on the steering wheel please especially on the curves and puddles!
Enjoy with caution!
Ramesh

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I've lived in northern Utah for most of my life and the one piece of advice I would give you is that four wheel drive helps you go but doesn't help you stop. Keep safe distances from the cars in front of you.
Ha Ha Ha I grew up in Provo, first thing you learn is that you definitely do not stop as fast as you can go forward. People are complete idiots. If the tire spins its not getting traction and in fact you are making the situation worse because you are creating an ice slick under your spinning tires. Drive off slowly, Dont slam on the brakes, you will actually pick up speed. The trick is to not have your tires spin coming or going.... Some people think they can stomp on the gas to get moving and the jeep will stop on a dime. No No No

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
Denver has weird weather where the snow melts due to it being sunny the day after it snows. The air temp is still below freezing, but the areas with sun- the snow melts. The melt hits the shadows and refreezes. Was on a road that had shadows due to large buildings and the road icy. I noticed the cars in front of me shimmy, so I was off the gas and probably lightly on the brakes. I was in 2H since 90% of the roads were dry. Sahara with the Dueler ATs.

I was surprised that I fish tailed a bit. Back end shimmied 12-18 inches or so. I would have thought that the ABS and ESC would have handled it better. I'm thinking that the road may have been a pure sheet of ice and there was basically no traction. Watching the cars ahead, I had some warning. Luckily I didn't have anyone next to me.

Sponsored

PaulN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
1613478768922.png
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
1613478768922.png
My advice is the same my old man gave me when teaching me to drive: Think Ahead.
Remember that the 4wd will give you acceleration in the snow but it won't help braking. Driving with outside temps within a few degrees of freezing means be aware of frozen roads - ice, black ice, slush, etc. "Bridges Freeze Before Roads" may not be a road sign you see much down south, but its a staple up north. You can be riding merrily along on a highway that's clean and dry but hit black ice on a bridge and lose it. If you hit ice unexpectedly, don't overreact with braking or steering. No change or a gentle one is best. Jamming on the brakes and sharp turns will put you on someones Epic Fail YouTube video. When in icy or snowy conditions, watch out for others. My pet peeve is drivers that can't handle snow and think that going really slowly up hill is a winning strategy. It's not.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Like others said, plant of room to stop and watch others...Keep in mind everyone in the ditch will expect you to be their two truck....
Sponsored