Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
When I drove RWD vehicles I always carried 2 (maybe 3) 25lb. bags of kitty litter in the trunk. That extra weight was great for traction right over the rear axle, and I could always crack one open if necessary and pour it under the tires to get me moving if I got really stuck.
Growing up in Minnesota was were that knowledge came from. Got my license in a 72 Buick Electra 225.
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Growing up in Minnesota was were that knowledge came from. Got my license in a 72 Buick Electra 225.
Nice - lots of snowy winters up that way! I took my road test in my mom's '87 XJ, but my first car was a '76 Chevy Monte Carlo. After that I had a few '80s Monte Carlo SS's, an '86 Olds Cutlass Salon, and a '96 Impala SS all as daily drivers over the years. My most recent RWD car was a '16 Charger R/T (leased right before my JL). The Charger was the only one I actually put snow tires on; the rest I ran (gasp!) all-seasons because those other cars did not make a ton of HP.

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
give room for everything. longer to stop, longer to slow down, longer to react (if you brake suddenly, you could lose control), longer for others to act and react. Drive slower, brake gently, on icy hills, use momentum to carry you up, slow going down. do not accelerate hard or fast.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Grew up in MN, 100's of 1000's on snow and ice. My #1 piece of advice is to TEST and never assume what your traction is. When it's safe to do so, slow down to a speed you know you can recover from a spin at, move to the middle of the road a bit so you stay out of the ditch - and incrementally slam on the brakes. Now you know. Backroads or interstate - same thing. Sometimes 20 mph is recklessly fast, sometimes you can go faster, but you'll never know until you test. Next - test often. Just because 20 other cars around you are going 2x as fast means nothing. If you really want to learn to drive on ice, get out on a frozen parking lot or lake and do some figure 8's, see how fast and tight you can get them.

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
All great advice. What about the "Traction Control" button. Should traction control be turned on or off in snow?
Absolutely it should be left "on" during normal snow/ice driving! Now if you are stuck and stationary, you probably want it turned off in most circumstances.

OP
OP
Storminā€™ Moorman

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nice - lots of snowy winters up that way! I took my road test in my mom's '87 XJ, but my first car was a '76 Chevy Monte Carlo. After that I had a few '80s Monte Carlo SS's, an '86 Olds Cutlass Salon, and a '96 Impala SS all as daily drivers over the years. My most recent RWD car was a '16 Charger R/T (leased right before my JL). The Charger was the only one I actually put snow tires on; the rest I ran (gasp!) all-seasons because those other cars did not make a ton of HP.
Learned to drive and passed my test in a 78 Monte Carlo. If you could parallel park that, you could parallel park anything.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Iā€™m in Canton TX weā€™ve got ten plus inches here. The Jeep has been our daily driver this week! Had to pull 3 people up hills this morning during my short trip to town. We go to SW Colorado several times a year so I have decent experience driving in winter conditions, however most people here have never seen this much snow let alone drove in. Definitely take it slow and watch out for the other people on the road.
AF19FBB0-B375-45A7-8C06-D4CCF532C623.jpeg
45956149-E1A6-4FA7-878C-0C61BCA49D14.jpeg
Great pics. Are those Ridge Grapplers? How do you like them in the snow?

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
All great advice. What about the "Traction Control" button. Should traction control be turned on or off in snow?
Leave Traction Control on in snow or ice on the road.

Turn it off if you are doing doughnuts on the ice in the church parking lot.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
No braking or hitting the gas hard on bridges. When it gets icy here my 6 mile drive to work there are sometimes 10 vehicles in the ditch right after bridges. A lot of them are 4x4 trucks.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I think it's all figured out looking at his latest post......
Sponsored