Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
1613478768922.png
Be smooth and no abrupt steering, brake, or throttle inputs.

If you feel the Jeep drifting in a turn do not over correct or slam on brakes - just gentle corrections.

Watch the highway for signs of ice (frozen rain, etc). This is the nastiest stuff as you don't see it easily. If it looks like the cement/asphalt but a bit "glossy" be cautious. I ran into some on the weekend and almost looped the Jeep on the highway. It is more prevalent on bridge decks (cold from below so freezes faster) as well as coming out from an underpass.

Have a plan on your emergency response when in closer traffic - eg: I have a big enough shoulder, etc, etc.

If you are somewhere they put gravel down it typically gets thrown away from where most people place their tires - the "ruts". Shifting your placement to get tires on gravel is a good tactic. If no gravel it can be helpful to put the tires on snow or chunky ice versus the ruts. The ruts will be polished ice especially coming to stop lights, etc.

If you can't find tire chains you can buy a couple bags of sand to use in an emergency if you find yourself stuck on ice. Take a shovel.

Also a couple candles and a couple coffee cans make good heaters if you find yourself stranded and risk of freezing. Put candle in coffee can and it will radiate heat to keep you from freezing. Have window open a crack for oxygen - but jeeps don't seal that well in the first place.

Couple blankets, good boots if you need to dig out, good gloves, etc, etc.

Also make sure your fluids are topped up. Washer fluid should be rated to -'ve temps as putting the summer kind on your window in freezing conditions is not good.

Lastly have some people know your route you plan and some check-in times so we know when to come looking for you.
Sponsored

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Don't solely rely on the brakes to stop you. If you have a manual transmission, downshift into a lower gear to help the engine brake you. If you have an auto, you can do the same using the manual gate to shift and help slow you down.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

1613478768922.png
1. Feather foot the gas pedal when starting out from a stop. Spinning your wheels will just make it worse.

2. Stopping is the biggest problem in snow/ice. Give yourself LOTS of space to brake gradually. Stomping on the brake results in a skid that turns your vehicle into a sled that'll keep going forever, or until you hit something that'll bring you to an immediate halt.

3. Most important; SLOW THE HECK DOWN no matter what/where you're driving. 4WD will help get you going, but it doesn't do a thing to help you stop.

4. If you go into a skid. steer in the direction your rear end is going to recover.

I'm in Texas now, but lived in the frigid midwest for decades.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
If you can't find tire chains you can buy a couple bags of sand to use in an emergency if you find yourself stuck on ice. Take a shovel.
Never used chains or even seen a car with chains in my (many) years driving in Michigan. Is this a mountain region thing? Seems it would be hard and rough to drive on the highway with literal chains on your tires.

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Never used chains or even seen a car with chains in my (many) years driving in Michigan. Is this a mountain region thing? Seems it would be hard and rough to drive on the highway with literal chains on your tires.
Yeah I drive on snow and ice 8 months out of the year here in Canada and I’ve never used chains, nor have I seen anyone use chains.
I think they might even be illegal.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I think the only thing I didn't see mentioned is just to make sure your tires are in good shape. If the thread depth is getting a little low or you've changed them out to some tire that is performs poorly in the snow leave yourself even more room (or replace your tires if they are in the dangerous category). I can't count how many people I see in obviously summer tires on their cars that have zero control even on flat roads in an inch of snow.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
A couple years ago coming back to CT from Montreal got stuck in a snow/sleet storm from the moment we left Montreal til we got into northern CT. Yes, it sucked, but roads were mainly straight so slow and steady won the race.

Easy on the gas, easy on the steering and if you feel yourself drifting don't panic and slam on the brakes or turn the steering wheel hard or you'll just make it worse. Stay off the gas/brake and slight steering to help the Jeep find itself again.

Whether you are in a Wrangler or a Geo Prizm, stopping and turning will take the same caution.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yes, it's a mountain thing. I've never used them either, though depending on conditions they're benificial. Some areas (like Colorado) require chains at certain times/locations. Other areas prohibit chains, such as Ohio between April 16 and October 31 (although why you'd want them then I don't know).
.... Don't give in to peer pressure. If someone behind you wants to go 65 on a snow/ice covered road, that's their business. Don't let them push you to drive any faster than what you are comfortable with.....
This is great advice. NEVER drive beyond your ability and/or comfort. That applies to any conditions. You'll get this a lot in snow. They "tough guy" with a 4wd that thinks he's invincible, who gets on your bumper because you're not going fast enough for him. Don't speed up for him, just let him pass. He's not paying for your damages if you crash, so don't let him dictate your speed.

My tips:
1. DRIVE SLOW. That's the biggest thing you can do to help yourself, which should be obvious by the repeated comments of it.
2. Be easy on the inputs. No abrupt movements. Easy turns, easy brake, easy throttle. Drive like you got Granny in the back seat holding a bowl of hot chili, while wearing her nice white Sunday best.
3. If you start to slide, ease off the gas/brake (whichever you were pushing) and steer into the slide. So if your back end is sliding right, steer right. Basically you're turning in front of the rear end so it can't pass the front.
4. Look where you want to go. Don't stare at the object you're about to slide into. Look at the path away from it where you want to go. Not sure why this works but does.
5. Watch traffic ahead of you. If you see brake lights a mile up the road, be ready to slow or stop. They're hitting their brakes for a reason. If you approach that area slower, you may avoid whatever hazard they are reacting to.

Last is more of a note than a tip. When you're sliding an the ABS is working you'll hear it and feel it. It's fine, don't panic. This isn't an issue with your brakes, and nothing is damaged. It's a vibration you'll feel through the pedal, and it makes a very fast pulsing noise similar to gears grinding together. That speed/beat but it sounds more like clicking than grinding.

Good luck, and take warm gear even if you don't wear it while you drive. Have it in case you need it. Now go get 'em Bandit.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a Louisiana boy living in the Denver area. My advice will always be STAY HOME.

Even if you are the most careful driver out there, you are driving in an area full of inexperienced to outright incompetent drivers when it comes to these conditions. Heck, most folks can't drive competently on a warm clear day. Those people are your biggest concern.

Stay the heck at home.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

1613478768922.png
1. Use 4LO only when stuck in deep snow and gentle feathering of the accelerator can get you out. Otherwise use 4Hi.

2. If you are able to go higher than 35MPH (55 KMPH), you do not need 4Hi. Feel free to switch back to 2WD beyond 35MPH .

3. Go at a speed you are comfortable with. There is a reason why I have that one in bold text. Here in NY, we see plenty of idiots that want to go faster than you and then they spin out or end up in a ditch. If you are comfortable doing 25MPH, do it. Let the asshole doing 30 cut you off. I once got cut off by an Audi (driver ended up in a ditch later on) and then got almost cut off by an AWD Sienna two weeks ago (a Minivan). The Sienna guy had second ideas when he noticed my JLUR and two pickup trucks ahead of me taking it very slow. You will have plenty of drivers on the road that can be recipients of the Darwin award. Almost all of them tend to be AWD/FWD Sedan or Minivan/Crossover drivers. Jeepers, Pick Up Trucks and Tractor Trailer drivers tend to be safer as they know that 4WD means better grip but not better stopping capability. Wish the AWD drivers knew that too.

4. If you can, avoid driving when it is dark out and snow is falling very heavily. Your headlamps may not show an ice spot. If you must drive in heavy snow, highly encourage driving during daylight.
Sponsored