Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies... 1613478768922
Sponsored

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Be hyper aware of others around you, especially looking out for people driving irresponsibly. And as previous poster said, leave as much space around you as possible for braking and maneuvering.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've lived in northern Utah for most of my life and the one piece of advice I would give you is that four wheel drive helps you go but doesn't help you stop. Keep safe distances from the cars in front of you.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
dear southern friend,

I would highly recommend that you stay away from Junior and do not under any circumstances pick up any hitchhiking brides.

now that that is out of the way.

Itā€™s important to realize that your difficulty in traveling in snow will most definitely be impacted by other folk that decide that they need to venture out as well. Slick roads + people that are not used to driving in those conditions = _________

Basically anyone can fill in that blank.

Good luck!!!!!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
1613478768922.png
My advice......Reschedule your work thing........šŸ™‚

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
1. Your Jeep in 4-wheel drive will have more ability to 'go' in slippery conditions, but no more advantage in stopping than a Camry - go slowly if the driving conditions are poor.
2. Have a shovel, other recovery gear and safety items including water, food, a blanket and candles with you to help yourself (if required) and others if you feel so inclined.
3. Have plenty of fuel and windshield washer antifreeze. You may also need a snow brush/ice scraper if you can find one.
4. Tire chains if you can find them.
5. CB radio to listen to the truckers.
6. Keep your eye in the rear view mirror for idiots coming up too quickly behind you, who won't be able to stop, so that you can take evasive action if required.

Last edited:

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLUR
I am sure you are aware but if not there is a secondary system that will be impacting the same areas starting tonight and into tomorrow. Snow, sleet, ice are expected.

Also assume that it is slick. Bridges and overpasses will freeze first. Take your time. Leave plenty of space and always assume the person driving next to you is a Southerner and has no clue what they are doing;)

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Here's a few I've learned in my 30 years of driving in snowy NJ winters. I've owned everything from RWD muscle cars to FWD and AWD commuters, and a few 4WD vehicles including my JL, my old XJ, and our KJ.

• 4WD helps you go, it doesn't help you stop.
  • SLOW DOWN! Most accidents are caused by people going way to fast for the road conditions.
  • Leave plenty of distance for people to do stupid s**t in front of you and still have space to stop.
  • Always assume the other driver will do something stupid - drive defensively.
  • Have a full tank of gas in case you are stuck in traffic for a while.
Hope that helps!

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Go find a snow or ice covered empty parking lot to get a feel for the Jeep. Learn what it feels like when your tires are spinning, when you are sliding sideways, when the ABS kicks in, and when your front tires are pushing (instead of turning).

Drive like a granny when accelerating, cruising, stopping, turning etc. Ignore the people who think "they got this" because they will be the ones in the ditch or crashing into others.

Let off the gas gently over bridges. Bridges of any kind (even the small ones over a 2 lane road) are the first thing to freeze quickly since there is no ground underneath. Be aware it is likely that even though the road has no snow or ice, the bridges may not be. Happens all the time here in Michigan especially near the high 20s, low 30s temp.

Make sure you know how to turn your 4wd on and off and at what speeds it is ok in your Jeep. 4wd does nothing to help you when turning or stopping FYI.

Do not use axle lockers if you have them. That will make it worse on slippery roads.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Go slow and take your time let the road conditions determine your speed not the speed limit signs

4wd will help you start moving but does nothing for stopping, give yourself plenty of time to stop. Sometimes stopping it helps to plus the breaks if the abs locks up the tires.

Get deicing windshield wipers fluid if you can

Talk a turn slowly, it's like drifting a car but at 2 mph

Watch out for others give the lots of space you can't control them

If you see an icey/snowy spot coming up just coast through it with minimal gas if any let your momentum carry you

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
What everyone else has said, but I'll add something that I have told my daughters as they started driving. Don't give in to peer pressure. If someone behind you wants to go 65 on a snow/ice covered road, that's their business. Don't let them push you to drive any faster than what you are comfortable with. I'll even slow down some to make it easier for them to pass when it happens to me. There have been several times when I eventually pass them back, when they've gotten themselves stuck.
Sponsored