Sponsored

How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies...

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If you can leave early, do a couple full brake stops in the slippery stuff if there aren’t hazards around and nobody is behind you. Just hold it down and let the ABS do its thing. A parking lot would be great. This will help “calibrate” you to understand space you might need. It should be slightly alarming if you’ve never done it before and take a long time to stop. Might be easier than trying to remember everything.
Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
1. Your Jeep in 4-wheel drive will have more ability to 'go' in slippery conditions, but no more advantage in stopping than a Camry - go slowly if the driving conditions are poor.
2. Have a shovel, other recovery gear and safety items including water, food, a blanket and candles with you to help yourself (if required) and others if you feel so inclined.
3. Have plenty of fuel and windshield washer antifreeze. You may also need a snow brush/ice scraper if you can find one.
4. Tire chains if you can find them.
5. CB radio to listen to the truckers.
6. Keep your eye in the rear view mirror for idiots coming up too quickly behind you, who won't be able to stop, so that you can take evasive action if required.
Since my TJ is virtually impossible to get stuck in, I keep in in 2 wheel drive, find a vacant lot somewhere that has not been plowed and do snow-nuts...so much fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a Louisiana boy living in the Denver area. My advice will always be STAY HOME.

Even if you are the most careful driver out there, you are driving in an area full of inexperienced to outright incompetent drivers when it comes to these conditions. Heck, most folks can't drive competently on a warm clear day. Those people are your biggest concern.

Stay the heck at home.
Born and raised in Terrebonne Parish

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Know how to operate the vehicle’s transfer case, when and how to engage/disengage and know the limitations of your vehicle. The owner’s manual is a great place to start.

I’ll also add not to be afraid to stop, collaborate and listen. Because Ice is back with a brand new invention. Something that’ll grab a hold of you tightly, make you flow like a harpoon, daily and nightly. Especially nightly. Will it ever stop? Yo, I don’t know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Know how to operate the vehicle’s transfer case, when and how to engage/disengage and know the limitations of your vehicle. The owner’s manual is a great place to start.

I’ll also add not to be afraid to stop, collaborate and listen. Because Ice is back with a brand new invention. Something that’ll grab a hold of you tightly, make you flow like a harpoon, daily and nightly. Especially nightly. Will it ever stop? Yo, I don’t know.
What’s a transfer case?

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Don't solely rely on the brakes to stop you. If you have a manual transmission, downshift into a lower gear to help the engine brake you. If you have an auto, you can do the same using the manual gate to shift and help slow you down.
Not really in icey conditions it will cause your rearend to slide out from under you.... Never downshift in icy snowy conditions you always slow your roll gently..

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
best thing to do is find yourself a nice stretch where you can disengage the traction control... do a few donuts and a few slides around a corner like they do in those movies... get a good feel for it..... ha ha then load up with that Coors and get back to GA.... gotta understand how that thing handles with what your setup is....
Jeep Wrangler JL How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies... coors-beer-you-say

I prefer home made brew....

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
A shovel, water proof gloves and snow boots or a change of socks, and water are worth their weight in gold if its your first time in snow/snow storm. Jeep or no Jeep.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
I grew up in the Detroit area, and now live in Colorado. Have seen the good, bad, and ugly in regards to icy driving.

There's no substitute for experience. Definitely important to get to feel what it's like to slip on ice and recover so you don't panic when it actually happens and overreact. Find an empty parking lot, and make yourself slip while cornering, turn in to it a bit, and see the difference in how things handle when you brake vs when you ease off the gas. One of the worst things you can do is just mash the brakes (especially when sliding sideways), tires need to be moving to get a grip. Far better to slowly decelerate (negative acceleration for you physics buffs).

Also, good to get a feel for what it actually feels like when those ABS brakes kick in if you've never actually experienced it... I've seen folks panic when the pedal pumps back at their foot.

Best of luck!

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
1. Your Jeep in 4-wheel drive will have more ability to 'go' in slippery conditions, but no more advantage in stopping than a Camry - go slowly if the driving conditions are poor.
2. Have a shovel, other recovery gear and safety items including water, food, a blanket and candles with you to help yourself (if required) and others if you feel so inclined.
3. Have plenty of fuel and windshield washer antifreeze. You may also need a snow brush/ice scraper if you can find one.
4. Tire chains if you can find them.
5. CB radio to listen to the truckers.
6. Keep your eye in the rear view mirror for idiots coming up too quickly behind you, who won't be able to stop, so that you can take evasive action if required.
Everybody saying 4wd won't help you stop has never red-necked it in a manual transmission. Once you slam on the brakes and all 4 tires are locked-up, simply push the clutch in, put it in reverse, then pop the clutch back out. If the 4wd in reverse doesn't help, the dragging driveshaft will.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
I will be leaving tomorrow for a trip to North Alabama for a day or two, then into the great frozen tundra that is East Texas. As a Southerner, i don't have a lot of experience driving in snow and ice...although i have watched three seasons of Ice Road Truckers. Is there any advice from the Yankee contingent of the forum as to the Do's and Don'ts of driving in these conditions? And I can't stay home, it's a work trip and I'm OGAF.

Here's a picture of me for reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to drive in snow and ice, for dummies... coors-beer-you-say
What kind of job is worth that type of risk! I'd wait until conditions are better, especially if you're asking how to drive in these type of conditions. You will have little control over what you do and no control over the other drivers on bad road conditions. Common sense is alway available if you let it into your life.

Be safe!

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have no idea if OP will make it this far, but most techniques have been covered. One thing I haven't seen addressed are tired.... most off-road tires are horrible for snow and ice, and I mean HORRIBLE. The rubber gets too hard near zero, and it doesnt have enough and proper sipes. Something like the duratracs are good int he snow and ice, but something like the milestar patagonias are not. before trying to tackle snow and ice as a rookie, check your tires. Hell, do yourself a favor, go to a parking lot with a little snow and ice, and test it out.

Tires not designed for ice and snow range from iffy - life threatening in a hurry.
Sponsored