Sponsored

How to connect JL RR BackBone to Pioneer Plaform?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I assembled the RR Back Bone RJLB1 and Pioneer Platform 42108BF, the package also included 6 RCL Legs.
I had assumed that the legs would fit three of the Back Bone cross bars. But the Back Bone cross bar spacings are different from the leg spacings! RR sent me a one page fitting chart, which does not make sense.
The chart says to drill 4 8.5mm holes on the outer rim. The crossbars do not extend out to the outer rim!

Has anyone actually assembled the Back Bone to the Platform?
If so, could you explain how to do that?
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I assembled the RR Back Bone RJLB1 and Pioneer Platform 42108BF, the package also included 6 RCL Legs.
I had assumed that the legs would fit three of the Back Bone cross bars. But the Back Bone cross bar spacings are different from the leg spacings! RR sent me a one page fitting chart, which does not make sense.
The chart says to drill 4 8.5mm holes on the outer rim. The crossbars do not extend out to the outer rim!

Has anyone actually assembled the Back Bone to the Platform?
If so, could you explain how to do that?
We had to drill out different holes on the cross bars to get the front and middle brackets to fit. Its not a one size does all. Gotta make your own holes unfortunately

1A3B26C5-1479-4ADE-9F79-7404B7AA8922.jpeg

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
sorry I don't know I had mine installed for me

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally figured out the problem...the installation illustration for drilling the holes is wrong! The image incorrectly shows holes to drill in the outer rim of the platform. The rear factory holes labelled in the illustration are the holes to use and to measure forward for the four other holes! Make sure that your drilled holes are within 1 (one) millimeter of the distances given.

I also discovered that the lock nuts factory-installed in the Freedom brackets need to be extra glued into place. When you insert the M6 bolts from the feet of the Platform into the brackets, the lock nuts in the brackets can easily drop down from their positions. It is then difficult to tighten the bolts if they freely spin. You then can spend a lot of time trying to get the bolts to grip and tighten onto the nuts. Or you can unbolt the Freedom brackets, re-glue the lock nuts into their correct position, rebolt the brackets, and then bolt the Platform to the brackets.
To save yourself hours or even days...check the brackets before you install them on the roof. Use a strong glue around the lock nuts to make sure that they won't drop out of place when you insert the bracket bolts!

Update!!!

The GPS antenna still works in the factory position!
I was warned that the Pioneer Platform is so long that it extends over the GPS/Sirus antenna blocking the signal. I installed the Platform and oriented my roof top tent so that the tent opens to the rear to overhang the rear tail gate, when open.
I found out that the GPS antenna still gets enough signal to work! Even through the Platform's slats. I won't need to install the $30 antenna reposition bracket.

Last edited:

Army68F20

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How high does the top side of the pioneer platform sit above the roof of the Jeep? I think you have the regular legs and not the quick release version that sit higher? Looks higher than stated 2-2.5” ... Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 'locking legs'. The legs are bolted to the Back Bone pads using M6 bolts. The bottom of the Platform rails sit about an inch above the Freedom Panels. I like this because the Platform sits as low as possible. I also mounted the Rhino Rack Air Dam which extends the full width of the Platform. Very low wind noise (35 mph head winds + 75 mph highway speed). The wind roar from the windshield completely masked any roof rack wind noise.

Update: I also installed a Rhino-Rack wind fairing. To me it was worth the expense. Just got back from Yellowstone, with
30-40 mph head wind gusts on Interstate...the usual "flying brick" front end wind noise more than masked any noise
coming from the Platform.

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Update!!!

The GPS antenna still works in the factory position!
I was warned that the Pioneer Platform is so long that it extends over the GPS/Sirus antenna blocking the signal.
Mine worked every now and then but it will CUT out if you turn a certain direction etc. Its best to just move it honestly where its not obstructed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine worked every now and thing but it will CUT out if you turn a certain direction etc. Its best to just move it honestly where its not obstructed.
The GPS antenna, in the factory position, worked flawlessly under the Platform. But the SirusXM radio would loose signal at certain compass directions. The GPS antenna gets signals from multiple satellites, so the reception remains even when one or more signals are blocked by the Platform. But the Sirus signal comes from just one satellite. The loss of radio signal only occurred over a very narrow direction. 99% of the time
the radio worked.

I had planned on lifting the Freedom Top and moving the antenna to the A-pillar roll bar. But, I decided to gamble that the signal loss was not going to be that important. The Platform will only used on infrequent camping trips so I probably won't move the antenna. Most important to me was that the GPS worked even with the rack on top. But if you put a full span metallic load on the front end of the rack...expect to loose both radio and GPS.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The GPS antenna, in the factory position, worked flawlessly under the Platform. But the SirusXM radio would loose signal at certain compass directions. The GPS antenna gets signals from multiple satellites, so the reception remains even when one or more signals are blocked by the Platform. But the Sirus signal comes from just one satellite. The loss of radio signal only occurred over a very narrow direction. 99% of the time
the radio worked.

I had planned on lifting the Freedom Top and moving the antenna to the A-pillar roll bar. But, I decided to gamble that the signal loss was not going to be that important. The Platform will only used on infrequent camping trips so I probably won't move the antenna. Most important to me was that the GPS worked even with the rack on top. But if you put a full span metallic load on the front end of the rack...expect to loose both radio and GPS.
Ahhh gotcha. I'm an idiot and didn't differentiate between XM Radio and GPS. You are correct. The GPS does work but Sat radio intermittent. I don't plan to renew my Sirius XM so I'm just removing the whole antenna or at least moving it back to the factory location when my subscription expires in 2 weeks.
Sponsored