Sponsored

How to check if LSD is working properly?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyone with working LSD can check if rear tires will spin in the same or opposite direction when jacked up?
Mine comes with LSD but appears to be spinning in the opposite direction. (Suggesting open diff or due to lack of load?)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Generally LSDs don’t just “stop working properly.” Particularly on a new vehicle. They tend to be pretty robust. They will wear with time, but nothing that should happen this soon.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Generally LSDs don’t just “stop working properly.” Particularly on a new vehicle. They tend to be pretty robust. They will wear with time, but nothing that should happen this soon.
If you read through 40 something pages of the “Knock in rear with D44” thread, we can deduce that the LSD in the JLs are generally faulty from the factory:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-2

I posted this thread to see if others are getting the same results.

Do you have LSD?

Sponsored

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
I was under the impression that the "anti-spin" differential from the factory was a torsen type. Meaning that if there were no load (IE, wheels in the air) it would not split torque, and would operate as an open diff would.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I was under the impression that the "anti-spin" differential from the factory was a torsen type. Meaning that if there were no load (IE, wheels in the air) it would not split torque, and would operate as an open diff would.
Interesting, this is news to me, but I somewhat suspected this when I saw a few of them were doing the same thing.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I was told also when I asked about it when I had my Sahara. It had a Dana 44 with lsd.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you read through 40 something pages of the “Knock in rear with D44” thread, we can deduce that the LSD in the JLs are generally faulty from the factory:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-2

I posted this thread to see if others are getting the same results.

Do you have LSD?
Yes, mine has LSD.

“Trac-Lok” is the official product name of the LSD Jeep uses on Wranglers. It is a clutch-based LSD developed by Dana Corporation.

Feel free to Google the Trac-Lok product name; you will get thousands of results, including explanations of how Trac-Lok works, how it differs from traditional LSDs, its strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Good luck.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Anyone with working LSD can check if rear tires will spin in the same or opposite direction when jacked up?
Mine comes with LSD but appears to be spinning in the opposite direction. (Suggesting open diff or due to lack of load?)
How many miles on it? Trac-lok has never been known for longevity, it’s possible the clutch packs can wear out in as little as 30k.

If your still under warranty it’s covered to rebuild it.

Last edited:

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Mine spins the same as yours when ive checked it before while rotating tires, etc. I have been curious about it also because I had read both should spin in same direction. I definitely have the D44 and have "checked" it before by spinning in dirt and seeing 2 tracks so im not sure whats up

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
My how times change. 50 years ago you could easily find someone who could tell you if LSD worked or not. Timothy Leary comes to mind. Now you ask a question like this and Jeeps pop into the conversation.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I have the LSD with 12k miles and no knocking sound while coasting. yet.

when I lift the rear and rotate one wheel, there is significant resistance (vehicle in park) + a repetitive knocking sound + other wheel spins in opposite direction.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles on it? Trac-lok has never been known for longevity, it’s possible the clutch packs can wear out in as little as 30k.

If your still under warranty it’s covered to rebuild it.
My plan is when the Trac-Lok wears out, to replace it with a Detroit TrueTrac. Those things last forever.
Sponsored