Sponsored

How to check if LSD is working properly?

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Interesting, thanks for weighing in. Appreciate the info.
Sponsored

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Subbed here so I can remember to check if my LSD is working when I get my new to me 18 Sahara with anti slip diff.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
1) choke the front tires
2) turn on jeep, release hand brake, set tranny to neutral.
3) make sure to close the door or the Jeep goes into auto park mode.
4) jack up the rear until tires are off the ground.

Your rear tires will spin forward together if your LSD is working.

Last edited:

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Incorrect... Read all 5 pages lol...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Incorrect... Read all 5 pages lol...
why wouldnt my method work? I thought I outsmarted this thing lol. That's how I been doing it. Mine spin on the same direction with tranny in neutral, engine on. I can post a video. I've been doing this for 2 years and calling it a day.

Being a torsen differential when under load they spin forward. If jeep engine is off, they spin opposite because there is no load, even if the tranny is in neutral. Engine has to be on for my method to work. The dana trac-lok doesn't have a preloaded spring and only works under load.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribing, great info.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Brandon WL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I thought clutch lsds only engage during acceleration (or sometimes deceleration) but act like normal open diffs when no force id applied?

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/spee...d-to-know-about-limited-slip-differentials/2/
Correct to my knowledge. I have had so many sports cars over the years with LSD. No load, acts as open diff. Load it and the LSD engages.

It's not rocket science. Turn off trac. Control, power brake that mother, or if your jeep will do it, just punch it and it should leave two black marks. If this isn't for you, get on a dirt road and punch it. My jeep will easily get sideways, throw two dusty rooster tails and leave two big tire marks in the dirt. If still not happy water down the street and watch it get sideways on wet road.

Or get that thing off road. My LSD has worked flawless since day one. Several times I had one or both front tires off the ground, gave it some gas and I could feel the LSD kick in perfectly and push me up and over the obstacle. Got out and looked, two tire marks coming out of the hole.

In truth the LSD in the wrangler works perfectly as it was intended. Also in my experience with LSDs they are pretty fricken robust. Do maintenance as required and it should last a lot of miles.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
In truth the LSD in the wrangler works perfectly as it was intended. Also in my experience with LSDs they are pretty fricken robust. Do maintenance as required and it should last a lot of miles.
The JL rear d44 LSD is junk. Mine lasted 25k miles of normal street driving. We will see how long the second one lasts.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
The JL rear d44 LSD is junk. Mine lasted 25k miles of normal street driving. We will see how long the second one lasts.
Sucks that happened. Unless you were extremely hard on it, I would think it was a fluke. I would not say they all are junk. Plenty of people with lots of miles on them. It's not the first LSD Mopar has made, and there past LSDs were pretty dam tough.

Hope you have better luck with the current one.

Brandon WL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
always remember to check the diff fluid levels right away. Many JLs come low from the factory. Mine was only at 50% when I checked at 10k.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
always remember to check the diff fluid levels right away. Many JLs come low from the factory. Mine was only at 50% when I checked at 10k.
Good tip. I bought this one with 19k miles on it and at 25k it was knocking.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sucks that happened. Unless you were extremely hard on it, I would think it was a fluke. I would not say they all are junk. Plenty of people with lots of miles on them. It's not the first LSD Mopar has made, and there past LSDs were pretty dam tough.

Hope you have better luck with the current one.
Thanks for the the positivity. I don't have much hope though- here is a 110 page thread of people with failed d44 rear LSDs.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-102

Next time it fails I will put a locker in it.
Sponsored