Sponsored

How to check if LSD is working properly?

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
The only way both tires COULD turn forward together is with the transmission in neutral.

In park, the driveshaft will be locked solid. If you jacked it up snd turned the passenger side wheel forward the spider gears in the differential would spin the drivers side wheel the opposite DIFFERENTIAL direction.

As I said before, some LS diffs have spring pressure holding the clutch plates together. These are “tight” versions that are always on but allow slip for turning.

The dana LS is a “loose” LS that allows the spider gears and clutches to slip until a certain amount of slippage “activates” the friction surface on the clutches and locks the diff which gives you equal wheel speed left to right.
Bikemobile,

Do these "loose" LSD's last longer than traditional LSD's? Perhaps due to less wear and tear on the clutch plates?
Sponsored

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

Taggerz

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
You need to lift both tires and make sure your tranny is in neutral. Let us know what yours does.
Found this thread via the knock in the rear diff thread....the only way I have been able to get the tires to spin the same direction is with the jeep on stands running and in neutral. The wheels spin forwards on their own.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Found this thread via the knock in the rear diff thread....the only way I have been able to get the tires to spin the same direction is with the jeep on stands running and in neutral. The wheels spin forwards on their own.

I had the same results a few months back, different circumstances. I was hi-centered in the snow while out messing around in the middle of no where. Both rear tires would spin at the same time, while my front tires would alternate between left and right after a few seconds, due to the Break Lock Differential.

It was actually kind of cool to watch, wish I could go back in time and I would have filmed it. I was more concerned with getting un-stuck at the time. Hindsight is 2020. LOL.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
How many miles on it? Trac-lok has never been known for longevity, it’s possible the clutch packs can wear out in as little as 30k.

If your still under warranty it’s covered to rebuild it.
Have you heard of examples of the JL LSD clutch packs wearing out after 30,000 miles? I only ask because this claim has been circulating for years based on prior models and has become repeated as fact even though I could only ever find one documented case online where it actually occurred. I am wondering if there is more data specific to the JL.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Have you heard of examples of the JL LSD clutch packs wearing out after 30,000 miles? I only ask because this claim has been circulating for years based on prior models and has become repeated as fact even though I could only ever find one documented case online where it actually occurred. I am wondering if there is more data specific to the JL.
Quick search shows 1 thread on here shot at 14k, but he opened up his pumpkin for lockers.

I think it’s 2 things.

1) JL is still too new, time will catch up to it
2) ESC/BLD/TC is more effective for traction and people are giving LSD more credit than its due. The ESC/BLD/TC is essentially covering up the worn out LSD without people knowing it.

Last edited:

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)

As much as I hate to admit it I wouldn't be surprised if some are. The reason: I changed out my rear diff oil at around only 4,000 miles and it looked like black tar. I posted a pic on one of these threads.

I think if people DONT change out the fluid early on, they will have issues. I can't imagine those clutch packs lasting very long under those conditions. I'm going to change mine again at 10,000 miles and see how it looks. Hopefully it was only a result of the break in process.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Quick search shows 1 thread on here shot at 14k, but he opened up his pumpkin for lockers.

I think it’s 2 things.

2) ESC/BLD is more effective for traction and people are giving LSD more credit than its due. The ESC/BLD is essentially covering up the worn out LSD without people knowing it.
I think those are reports from owners with the knocking, which I don't believe is caused by normal wear. I am going to have my mechanic take a look at it. I have 36,000 miles so enough time for something to develop if this is normal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)

I think it’s 2 things.

2) ESC/BLD is more effective for traction and people are giving LSD more credit than its due. The ESC/BLD is essentially covering up the worn out LSD without people knowing it.

I have to (partially) disagree with you regarding number 2.

Yes, BLD is really neat and I'm glad Jeep (and most other manufacturers) have incorporated it.

However.......BLD is great for crawling over rocks, obstacles and etc, in 4-Low, but it is worthless for those of us who play in snow and mud. For these conditions you need 4-high and lots of speed. This is where having both tires locked up (LSD, or better yet; lockers) really shine.

I do most of my off-roading on very remote roads out in the middle of nowhere. Trust me, when you hit that large mud hole on some remote river bottom, or mountain canyon, BLD is not going to help you.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
So have we come to a conclusion between this thread and the knock in rear with Dana 44 axle that a LSD from factory on a JL is not a good idea?

Was considering having one thrown on to my sahara build as it snows heavily like 5, if not 6 months out of the year here... but reading these threads is an eye opener.
Sponsored