Sponsored

How to buy a used Wrangler?

James77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hi,

I am new here. I am also new to driving a Wrangler. I have driven other popular off rides of GMC and Toyota. I'm planning to buy a used Wrangler. Can't afford a brand new one at the moment.

I have eyed a blue 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara which I found in the classifieds. I would like to buy it only after thorough inspection. I decided to follow this checklist to help me out. https://www.aspirefcu.org/vehicle-checklist/ Being a 4x4 drive, I don't know whether I need to check anything more.

Please, share your suggestions and help me.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome aboard!

Drive it on a rough dirt road, windows open, and listen for rattles, as well as any loose steering problems, and be sure to shift it into 4H & 4L too. Look at all 4 shock absorbers and steering damper for fluid &/or dirt indicating leaks. Look at the front steering linkage and both differential pumpkins for dents, scratches or dings of any sort. If it's a hard top (recommended) run water over the top and check for leaks. Look underneath the dash, under the hood, and under the chassis. If there's a SINGLE wire exposed, frayed, spliced, or taped, WALK AWAY. Lastly, in my opinion, buy one that has NOT been modified. No lift, no mudders, no lighting, no nuthin'. You want the show room condition garage queen who's been pampered and respected, with low miles and 47 coats of wax. Think of it as a blank canvas, and add the accessories YOU want.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
1) Save up the money it would cost to purchase a new Wrangler
2) You will need it for repairs on the used Wrangler

I hate to be so pessimistic, but as much as I love these vehicles there always seems to be something that needs to be repaired. :(