Sponsored

How to add a CarPlay USB A port + 1 x QC 3.0 USB-A 18w + 2 x 20w PD USB-C ports on upper dash

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Wow I want to do this, but seems so complicated.

Is there another way?

Could I get a really long usb cable, plug into the center console media usb, route it under the shifter panel and up into the dash and drill a hole in upper dash and pull usb through?

I want to add a bulletproof mount, and need to plug my phone in and don't want the cord dangling in front of the screen.

OP
OP
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL High Altitude 2023
Hey @JINO
It’s not that complicated. Took me 90 minutes to complete.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
More than half of the items are unavailable.
I'm not the brightest guy, seems complicated to me.
I was going to go this route, but really didn't want to spend $50+ on all of the items. I am just doing a 90 degree USB-C adapter and drilling a hole under the USB's of the media console and running a cable up and out the dash. I'll post photos here in a bit.

Also, I posted a photo of almost all the parts on page 1 of this thread. These should all still be available since it was about a week ago that I cross referenced them.

Sponsored

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
I was going to go this route, but really didn't want to spend $50+ on all of the items. I am just doing a 90 degree USB-C adapter and drilling a hole under the USB's of the media console and running a cable up and out the dash. I'll post photos here in a bit.

Also, I posted a photo of almost all the parts on page 1 of this thread. These should all still be available since it was about a week ago that I cross referenced them.
Please show your results, I'm interested in this method.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Please show your results, I'm interested in this method.
Not as clean as the OP's, but works perfectly fine for me. My biggest concern was the hanging wire and the media port cover sticking out so far. Now it has a much cleaner look.

I removed the center portions of the dash; the radio, temp control panel, and window controls. Then drilled a 3/8" hole under the USB ports on the Media Center and plugged in a 90 degree USB-C Male-Female and then plugged in a black USB-C to Lighting cord. Routed it up to the top and drilled a 3/8" hole on the dash cubby and ran cord through there. Zip tied it to the phone mount arm and done.

The little indentation under the ports has nothing behind it so drilling through was easy. I did have a grommet to put in, but that section is thicker than anticipated so it didn't fit. Looks like crap and I should have used a step bit, but too late now and you can't see it really.

IMG_7866.jpeg

IMG_7865.jpeg

IMG_7862.jpeg

IMG_7864.jpeg

FAUJI

First Name
Guljit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JLURD 21REBELdiesel 14FJUE6spd 08TUNDRA SCproltd
Occupation
Farmer
Hello all,

Just wanted to share my interior mods. I added a CarPlay USB A port + 1 x QC 3.0 USB-A 18w + 2 x 20w PD USB-C ports on upper dash. Also a Mount kit for my phone and iPad.

CarPlay and charging still work on OEM USB ports.

Parts: (Not affiliated links)
  1. AXXESS MECAXUSBMINIB, USB to Mini B Adapter Cable
  2. USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable
  3. Basesailor USB Female to Female Adapter (3 Pack), USB 3.0 Female to Type A Female 3.0 Coupler for Connecting Two USB Male Ends
  4. StarTech.com 1 ft. (0.3 m) USB to Mini USB Cable - USB 2.0 A to Mini B - Gray - Mini USB Cable (USB2HABM1)
  5. GINTOOYUN USB 3.0 Splitter Cable,USB Type A 3.0 Male to 3.0 Female and 2.0 Female Y Extension Splitter Cable
  6. 12V USB Outlet USB C Car Charger Socket – Newest 58W Lengthened RV USB Outlet 12V Socket Dual 20W PD3.0 USB-C and 18W QC3.0 Car USB Port with Button Power Switch
Mount parts: (Not affiliated links)
  1. GAMBER JOHNSON TABCRUZER MINI: UNIVERSAL TABLET CRADLE 7160-0774
  2. RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Mobile Phone Cradle with 1 inch B-Ball with Tether
  3. RAM Mount Plastic 3'' Standard Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket
  4. RAM Mount Plastic 1 inch Ball Track Base with T-Bolt Attachment
  5. RAM Mount 12 inch Tough-Track for Jeep JL and Gladiator
  6. RAM Mount Plastic 1.5 inch Ball Track Base with T-Bolt Attachment
  7. RAM Mount Aluminum 7.88 inch Long Length Dual 1.5 inch Socket Arm
Tools: (Not affiliated links)
  1. Drill
  2. Drill step bit
  3. Right Angle Attachment, Flex Shaft, Drill Attachment
  4. Two side tape or velcro
  5. Zip ties
Wiring information to connect to 3 USB port adapter is available here.

Accessories.png

To find the steps how to disassemble your dash, see this thread :
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-car-play-project.54033/

IMG_8807 2.JPG

IMG_8812.JPG

Schema:

Schema-JLU-Carplay.png

Cable Management:

IMG_8814.JPG

Upper Dash USB Ports:

IMG_8810.JPG

Mounts:

IMG_8821.JPG

Result:

IMG_0058.png

IMG_0061.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris
2023 JL High Altitude
Sky One Touch
Winter Group
Security Group
Advance Security Group
HD Hitch Group
Hello all,

Just wanted to share my interior mods. I added a CarPlay USB A port + 1 x QC 3.0 USB-A 18w + 2 x 20w PD USB-C ports on upper dash. Also a Mount kit for my phone and iPad.

CarPlay and charging still work on OEM USB ports.

Parts: (Not affiliated links)
  1. AXXESS MECAXUSBMINIB, USB to Mini B Adapter Cable
  2. USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable
  3. Basesailor USB Female to Female Adapter (3 Pack), USB 3.0 Female to Type A Female 3.0 Coupler for Connecting Two USB Male Ends
  4. StarTech.com 1 ft. (0.3 m) USB to Mini USB Cable - USB 2.0 A to Mini B - Gray - Mini USB Cable (USB2HABM1)
  5. GINTOOYUN USB 3.0 Splitter Cable,USB Type A 3.0 Male to 3.0 Female and 2.0 Female Y Extension Splitter Cable
  6. 12V USB Outlet USB C Car Charger Socket – Newest 58W Lengthened RV USB Outlet 12V Socket Dual 20W PD3.0 USB-C and 18W QC3.0 Car USB Port with Button Power Switch
Mount parts: (Not affiliated links)
  1. GAMBER JOHNSON TABCRUZER MINI: UNIVERSAL TABLET CRADLE 7160-0774
  2. RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Mobile Phone Cradle with 1 inch B-Ball with Tether
  3. RAM Mount Plastic 3'' Standard Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket
  4. RAM Mount Plastic 1 inch Ball Track Base with T-Bolt Attachment
  5. RAM Mount 12 inch Tough-Track for Jeep JL and Gladiator
  6. RAM Mount Plastic 1.5 inch Ball Track Base with T-Bolt Attachment
  7. RAM Mount Aluminum 7.88 inch Long Length Dual 1.5 inch Socket Arm
Tools: (Not affiliated links)
  1. Drill
  2. Drill step bit
  3. Right Angle Attachment, Flex Shaft, Drill Attachment
  4. Two side tape or velcro
  5. Zip ties
Wiring information to connect to 3 USB port adapter is available here.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to add a CarPlay USB A port + 1 x QC 3.0 USB-A 18w + 2 x 20w PD USB-C ports on upper dash IMG_7864

To find the steps how to disassemble your dash, see this thread :
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-car-play-project.54033/

Jeep Wrangler JL How to add a CarPlay USB A port + 1 x QC 3.0 USB-A 18w + 2 x 20w PD USB-C ports on upper dash IMG_7864

Schema:

Cable Management:

Upper Dash USB Ports:

Mounts:

Result:

hi Chris,

Great write up and very well done. Would love to do something like it.
I would totally be in for a kit if you put one together and be more than happy to pay for your trouble and actual parts.

Cheers

FAUJI

First Name
Guljit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JLURD 21REBELdiesel 14FJUE6spd 08TUNDRA SCproltd
Occupation
Farmer
Hi Chris,

Great write up and very well done. Would love to do something like it.
I would totally be in for a kit if you put one together and be more than happy to pay for your trouble and actual parts.
Where in Canada r u?

Cheers

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Not as clean as the OP's, but works perfectly fine for me. My biggest concern was the hanging wire and the media port cover sticking out so far. Now it has a much cleaner look.

I removed the center portions of the dash; the radio, temp control panel, and window controls. Then drilled a 3/8" hole under the USB ports on the Media Center and plugged in a 90 degree USB-C Male-Female and then plugged in a black USB-C to Lighting cord. Routed it up to the top and drilled a 3/8" hole on the dash cubby and ran cord through there. Zip tied it to the phone mount arm and done.

The little indentation under the ports has nothing behind it so drilling through was easy. I did have a grommet to put in, but that section is thicker than anticipated so it didn't fit. Looks like crap and I should have used a step bit, but too late now and you can't see it really.

Dude, your RAM grip mount is triggering my OCD. Did you notice it's upside down?

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Dude, your RAM grip mount is triggering my OCD. Did you notice it's upside down?
Yep, it’s intentional. Right side up it is more in my line of sight while driving and flipped it isn’t. Normally it would bother me, but you can’t tell when it’s in use since the phone is there so it’s fine.

swavescatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I need to do this mod. Can't believe the console connection in a 23 is still completely useless...

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Yep, it’s intentional. Right side up it is more in my line of sight while driving and flipped it isn’t. Normally it would bother me, but you can’t tell when it’s in use since the phone is there so it’s fine.
Haha, fair enough.

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
One thing about this mod is you lose CarPlay/Android auto from the center console (if you ever used it). The USB splitter says it can't power Apple devices. Have you tried plugging in your phone in the center console (Not for CarPlay) for charging? Does it work? Can the center console charge the phone while wireless CarPlay is running? What happens when you are in wireless CarPlay and you plug your phone to the front USBs? Does it prompt you to switched to wired CarPlay?

TaZ_65

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great write up! Trying it this weekend. US equivalent parts were $60 for me via Prime and are readily available. Expensive way to hide a cable, but it annoys me enough, so it’s worth it! I tried wireless CarPlay but perceived a loss in audio and touch/visual quality, so I’m committed to wired.

I will likely tap into the ignition switched wire in the passenger footwell for the triple USB “hub”, no need to take up 1 of the 4 factory switches. My midland radio is hooked up to the battery wire in the footwell already.

Hopefully will report back with good news!
Sponsored