Sponsored

How to ‘reset’ navigation location? It thinks I’m in the ocean!

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Does anyone know how to reset or re-center the navigation - if it thinks I am somewhere else on the map?

It’s currently at the dealer, and they have tried resetting it, and they are having trouble, and want to keep it over the weekend, and start troubleshooting again on Monday.

Here’s the backstory:
I did a ton of mods to my 2021 JLUR 4xe for overlanding. This involved installation of roof rack, and roof top tent, which tend to block signals for antennas on the sound bar. Since I was installing a separate XM radio antenna, and had the sound bar all apart, I decided to relocate the LTE/GPS antenna to the front dash.

However, the antenna extension I needed was delayed, so I drove on a 6,000 mile trip with the GPS antenna unplugged. When I finally got the antenna extension, and plugged in the GPS antenna, it seemed to get a signal, and when I turn the jeep to the right, it shows me turning to the right. Left turns = left turns on the map. All seems great - except the map thinks I’m in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Any suggestions on how I tell it to “phone home” and get its bearings again?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Any thoughts on this? Dealer has had the vehicle since last Thursday, and they are stumped!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
First, have you checked to make sure you're not exactly where it thinks you are?

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had a similar issue in our Pacifica, which has uconnect 5. It was under warranty and they wound up replacing the entire head unit.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
All seems great - except the map thinks I’m in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
First, have you checked to make sure you're not exactly where it thinks you are?
Well, I have been told that I’m all wet! So, you might be on to something there. 🤔

What I can say is, on Sad-dee, we headed south to Wistah, banged a left on the pike, stopped at a Dunkins in Newton Centah, then headed down to Reveeah Beach. That’s when I knew the GPS was screwed up, cuz it’s tellin me I’m in Noth Quinzy! The traffic was wicked bad, so I shifted the 4xe to 4H auto and stomped on the gas pedal. Last cah we saw was when we passed Mahtha’s Vinyid doin about a buck eighty!

Last edited:

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
When I relocated my xm antenna I assumed the gps would relocate as well but it did not. I had to get a "Y" line splitter and add a GPS receiver.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
When I relocated my xm antenna I assumed the gps would relocate as well but it did not. I had to get a "Y" line splitter and add a GPS receiver.
Wait, what?! I read that the GPS antenna was combined with the LTE/Cellular antenna, and the XM antenna was on its own. But it sounds like you’re saying the GPS is combined with the XM antenna, and the LTE/Cellular antenna is on its own.

Note to self: Don’t believe everything you read on the internet!

I will try the “Y” splitter ASAP. Any links you can share for what parts you ended up using?

And I assume I could just use the OEM GPS antenna (relocated), rather than purchasing a new one?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i used the Y line and GPS receiver from this Kit
Jeep Wrangler JL How to ‘reset’ navigation location? It thinks I’m in the ocean! IMG_71002

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...atellite-radio-antenna?variant=11937743077412

and this as my XM antenna
Jeep Wrangler JL How to ‘reset’ navigation location? It thinks I’m in the ocean! 61Eb0gDZmoL._AC_SL1500_

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B94N05I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL How to ‘reset’ navigation location? It thinks I’m in the ocean! oZXHeqD

left the old antenna intact and just disconnected it at the back of the radio.
i had the same problem you did on my first attempt to relocate the XM antenna, this fix it. i mounted the gps module on the dash and it works as it should.

i MAY have needed extra cabling..
i picked these up with the antenna but may not have needed them
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07252FDFD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721PPB63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@dpike thank you SO MUCH for that response. I have the exact same XM antenna as you (same RTT as well I see!). My Tram XM antenna is mounted on the driver side awning bracket at the rear of my roof rack. The antenna on the passenger side in the pic below is a Weboost Cellular signal booster:

Jeep Wrangler JL How to ‘reset’ navigation location? It thinks I’m in the ocean! 0BF04A96-A2FD-43C5-A8E2-CAE663580637

I guess the only remaining question is, since I pulled both OEM antennas off the sound bar, do you think I might be able to just relocate that other OEM antenna to the front dash by tying it in with a “Y” cable?

The cheapskate in me is wondering if I could get out of this for the cost of a $12 “Y” cable, and maybe an extension, rather than shelling out $100 for that kit. But then again, it’s only money 💰 🤪

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
it's worth a shot since you already pulled your antennas out. mine weren't out and the $100 seemed fair to not have to yank down the sound bar and wiring.

i will say tho, the infotainment gps module is less than the size of a half dollar and the wire is thin enough it fits from the radio, under the padded trim and mounts on the dash panel by the defroster with no issues. i'll clip a picture when i get home tonight if youre interested.

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i forgot to get one in the daylight, but clipped a picture this morning on my way out the door.

crappy pic, but it kinda shows the size..
A1EOEr7.jpg

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
this is a know issue. happened in my 2019 pacifica with 8.4nav this past summer. took it in and when they checked the software code was blank (something like that) fix was replacing the whole head unit.
Sponsored