Sponsored

How sturdy are Body Armor and Metalcloak rear bumpers?

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
After destroying my plastic bumper I need to get a sturdy steel rear bumper. I'm looking for one that can take bashing on rocks without bending, warps around the rear corner to fully protect the tub and is compatible with backup sensors and the factory tow hich. After scouring this site and online, I think either the Metalcloak full width rear bumper or the Body Armor full width fits the bill. However, I'm not sure how sturdy they are. I like that the Metalcloak relocates the tow wiring receptacles and has a corner bracket for extra strength, but I'm not sure how sturdy the removable end caps are. Also, since Metalcloak has a great reputation it should be high quality. The Body Armor bumper has the features I want and is very inexpensive, but I don't hear too much about them and couldn't find any reviews that mentioned how they fared after landing on rocks. They are both 3/16 thick steel. If anyone has experience with these bumpers they would like to share or other suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have the Metalcloak full width rear bumper. I had the same thing happen to my rear plastic bumper so I was looking for a replacement with the same criteria as you.

Overall it’s a very stout bumper and I like that if I do bash the edge again I can remove, repair, or replace the end caps if needed without taking off the entire bumper. You can see some of my notes in the following thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ear-bumper-install-notes.113958/#post-2368879

As a side note, I used fishbone rear qtr panel guards in conjunction with the bumper. You can see them in the side shot. The bumper does extend enough to protect the tub from slamming down on a rock, but leaves it exposed to stones being thrown from the tire.

Jeep Wrangler JL How sturdy are Body Armor and Metalcloak rear bumpers? IMG_4601

Jeep Wrangler JL How sturdy are Body Armor and Metalcloak rear bumpers? IMG_4589

Jeep Wrangler JL How sturdy are Body Armor and Metalcloak rear bumpers? IMG_4647

Last edited:
OP
OP
JP52

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
@Bulletbill Thanks for the info on the bumper and the suggestion for the panel guard. Have you come down hard on any rocks with it yet?

Anyone have any experience with the Body Armor bumper? The fact that it is so cheap and yet it seems like there are very few people running it gives me pause without actually seeing one.
Sponsored