Sponsored

How soon to wax your wrangler & what’s your process?

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have a 2019 JLU and am wondering how soon people are waxing their wranglers? Is waxing a 1 year old wrangler too soon and what is your process?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Pressuregarage

First Name
Kaimana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Operating Engineer Local 3
I ceramic coated my wife’s Sahara right when I got home from the dealership.
It had a TON of paint correction to do, but I’ve coated it twice now in about 1.5 years and In my eyes is one of the BEST things I’ve done to the JLU as far as paint protection

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I have a 2019 JLU and am wondering how soon people are waxing their wranglers? Is waxing a 1 year old wrangler too soon and what is your process?

Thanks!
I’d say it depends greatly on where you live. In the Chicago area, I recommend waxing every month or 2 especially going into winter for protection. I would recommend a full detail once per year which includes clay bar. I think they typically say wait 6 months from time of paint before waxing, but I’m not sure if that still holds true
I ceramic coated my wife’s Sahara right when I got home from the dealership.
It had a TON of paint correction to do, but I’ve coated it twice now in about 1.5 years and In my eyes is one of the BEST things I’ve done to the JLU as far as paint protection
Which coating did you go with?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I live in Wisconsin. What’s the difference between waxing and ceramic coating?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So what wax process and products do people use?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression you're new to washing and detailing your vehicle. Keep it simple and do the following. These steps are easy, cheap and will keep your Jeep looking great for it's lifetime if followed.

1. Wash your Jeep with the two bucket method. 1 bucket for soap, 1 bucket with water to rinse your mitt with.

2. Before waxing wash it with a strong soap capable of degrading or removing protection. I highly recommend Purple Power Heavy Duty Vehicle and Pressure Wash Concentrate. It can be found at Walmart for $8 for a gallon. It's readily available, has great cleaning power and is cheap. I'll use it over the more expensive strip soaps I've purchased even when ignoring cost. When you're not applying protection afterwards use a pH neutral soap(there's many more good pH neutral soaps available than strip soaps. They all work just fine.)

3. Buy Turtle Wax Seal & Shine. Like Purple Power it's readily available and is very cheap. More importantly it lasts a long time and has strong resistance to chemicals. I would not try stripping this with soap until it's at the end of it's lifespan at 4-6 months. It's very easy to apply and can be used on fenders/glass. The value of S&S is tremendous. It'll take you 20 minutes to spray and buff the entire Jeep with it.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
I think the op was asking about how soon to wax after taking delivery of a new vehicle, not how frequent. It's a great question, as I've seen modern car finishes ruined when people wax them as soon as they get their new machine home. I've always been told to wait about 3 months after painting, but not sure if that's too much or too little. Still interested in what this group thinks, as I don't believe we fully answered the question.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I think the op was asking about how soon to wax after taking delivery of a new vehicle, not how frequent. It's a great question, as I've seen modern car finishes ruined when people wax them as soon as they get their new machine home. I've always been told to wait about 3 months after painting, but not sure if that's too much or too little. Still interested in what this group thinks, as I don't believe we fully answered the question.
Just curious, what was the timeframe of when you’ve seen new vehicles paint ruined from waxing too soon? The factory paint goes through a baking process and can be waxed/sealant or ceramic applied right away on modern cars.

if you need body work and something is repainted by joe blow, then you’d need to wait a good couple of weeks to wax that new paint.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, what was the timeframe of when you’ve seen new vehicles paint ruined from waxing too soon? The factory paint goes through a baking process and can be waxed/sealant or ceramic applied right away on modern cars.

if you need body work and something is repainted by joe blow, then you’d need to wait a good couple of weeks to wax that new paint.
Within a month, I think. Joe Blow paint shops bake as well, but 3 months is what several paint and detail professionals have told me over the years. I'm not a professional, though...just telling you what they told me. In the absence of any other scientific or technical info on the subject, I've always deferred to the more conservative approach, and never had an issue, even with non-factory paint jobs.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Within a month, I think. Joe Blow paint shops bake as well, but 3 months is what several paint and detail professionals have told me over the years. I'm not a professional, though...just telling you what they told me. In the absence of any other scientific or technical info on the subject, I've always deferred to the more conservative approach, and never had an issue, even with non-factory paint jobs.
Interesting, I plan to polish and apply sealant right away when I take delivery of my Jeep. Maybe there’s someone I could find through fca’s customer support to see what they recommend

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I'm curious as well, since I have a JL making it's way thru production now. Just be wary of the source of whatever info you receive. Most folks in sales, customer support, and even service don't know much about paint.
Sponsored