Sponsored

How Simple is it to back out of custom order?

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I ordered my Unlimited Sahara back in November, I got a call Dec 28 saying my Jeep would be here the first week of January (it had arrived in Vancouver, Canada which is about 4 hours from where I live). We got some snow and they blamed it on the semis not being able to get over the highways for a couple weeks, and then it was buried in the back of the lot out there and that is still the same excuse they are rolling with. My wife went ahead and booked a trip down south for us assuming we would have the Jeep for beginning of March. Its been our dream that once we had a convertible we would go drive the Oregon coast and make a road trip out of it. Im sure we wouldn't be able to pull the top off a whole lot in early March but hey this is a big reason why we are going...Im sure it will be off even if its cloudy(got the sky top). I texted my sales guy this morning and didn't hear all day, got a call from the manager right now saying its buried, same old story and that theyll call me Monday and are hopeful its here early next week. The last thing I want to do is cancel the order but they have the exact same Jeep at a dealership 45 min away...the one 45 min away has the upgraded wheels which id rather not have, and has the v6 instead of the 2.0 I ordered. I would be just as happy with the v6. They were willing to give me almost the same deal before I ordered mine, at that point I wasn't in a rush and went with the slightly better deal and the hometown dealership.

So my question is whats the process to cancel the order if I did want to? Would be it crazy to cancel? and how much longer do I wait to cancel if its not in by next week. We are going on this trip...the wife is set on it and Im not doing it without the Jeep:LOL:
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Jim, hang in there! Besides, you’ve already waited this long for the Jeep that is perfect for you... so what’s a little longer?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you didn't put a deposit on the Jeep then walk away and get the one that's ready & willing :)
If you have money on the line then go with what Notorious said above :)

Good luck regardless!

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you didn't put a deposit on the Jeep then walk away and get the one that's ready & willing :)
If you have money on the line then go with what Notorious said above :)

Good luck regardless!

I did put a deposit down, guessing the dealership would make it painful to get it back?

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
They might not be thrilled to give you your deposit back but I think you could just walk in there and say hey, I’ve had enough, we need to cancel my order so no games, just how do I cancel it? They might get the manager and even resist giving you money back but get loud; get stinky if you need to; raise a fuss so others can hear you. Whatever it takes, you will get satisfaction. That is your money and they think it’s ok to keep a $50,000 investment sitting outside in the harsh elements? Absolutely ridiculous and not acceptable. The snow, the parking, all that, is THEIR problem. I say don’t let them make it yours. They can sell that vehicle later when their shortsighted parking problem melts. They can take a loss on the rig if need be but to get full pop from you AND you miss your bucket list vacation? No way. Tell them you need a Jeep now or your money back. Maybe they’ll offer you a loaner for the vacation. Maybe they will lower the price enough you could rent a Jeep and the mrs would be happy. Maybe you get your money back and grab another Jeep elsewhere. Maybe do nothing and wait. Rant over.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I did put a deposit down, guessing the dealership would make it painful to get it back?
It complicates things, especially if they can say the Jeep you ordered is an unpopular combination that would make it tough to sell.
Might see if any paperwork involved stated the refund policy regarding your deposit. Some dealerships are good about returning your deposit if the delays have been excessive, but I doubt most are that forgiving.

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
Telling them you want the deposit back if you don’t get it soon is one way to exert pressure. Not sure legally who has what rights in BC, but if you signed an agreement it would control.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The beginning of March is two weeks away. Apply pressure and wait. Go to the dealership and light a fire. They can send someone to get it if properly motivated. Get what you want. You will hate yourself if you take another jeep that is not exactly what you want for years. Two weeks is nothing in the bigger story of life.

Now get down to that dealership and get under someones skin so that action is taken.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
All of the stuff you describe is immaterial - it all comes down to the deal you made. Did you give a deposit? Is your deal that the deposit is refundable? That's pretty much it - and why, when making any deal where the dealer wants a deposit, go for the minimum deposit required and make sure to get a signed statement that the deposit is refundable. Most dealers do this without any trouble.

All that said - sounds like the Jeep you really want is within reach - why not wait?

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the stuff you describe is immaterial - it all comes down to the deal you made. Did you give a deposit? Is your deal that the deposit is refundable? That's pretty much it - and why, when making any deal where the dealer wants a deposit, go for the minimum deposit required and make sure to get a signed statement that the deposit is refundable. Most dealers do this without any trouble.

All that said - sounds like the Jeep you really want is within reach - why not wait?
the only reason I wouldn’t wait is because the trip we pre planned assuming we would have the Jeep. The Jeep is the reason we are doing it and the kids are off from school then for spring break so it worked out with the timing. So we thought.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Try telling the dealer that has your deposit that you are cancelling your order because you found a better deal at another dealer, and can drive it home today. See if they do anything then.

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had them send me the order sheet and it says KZ for status. Does that mean its been shipped from the plant?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I suspect that it won't be a problem unless your configuration is so unusual that it would create a white elephant for them. I doubt that that is the case.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Try telling the dealer that has your deposit that you are cancelling your order because you found a better deal at another dealer, and can drive it home today. See if they do anything then.
I think that the truth is a better bet for getting the deposit back. The "I got a better deal" makes the OP look like he's reneged (so why should they keep him whole), when in fact he has waited patiently to his breaking point.

Having said that, I'd wait it out. An unwanted option (how much does it cost?) + the wrong engine will have you regretting your decision just as soon as the new Jeep euphoria wears off.

OP
OP

JimD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also It was reported sold to me on Jan 17th to Chrysler...does that mean the warranty has started ticking on it??
Sponsored