Sponsored

How reliable is the new 3.6l? is it straight out of the gc?

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have gotten the impression the new 3.6l is right out of gc, so not new at all? this true, and if it is is there any bad issuessor reliablity probs with gc 3.6l?
I have a 2018 JLSU and had no problems, until the other day, 11,500 miles. Driving 70, 8th gr, the engine light started flashing and the motor shook with loss of power. No where to stop, I backed off and the light quit flashing but stayed on, along with the auto/stop light. I'm able to drive it but the power is way off and rough idle at times.
I called the dealer and was told a 2 week wait; really?
I checked everything I could, had the code read (P105C) and have to wait to get it into the shop. Discouraging.
Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve got a 2018 JLUR V6, 8 speed auto, with 2700 miles on it. Having problems with #2 cylinder misfire. No idea yet if it’s something serious or simple as I’ve got to wait 10days before the service dept can get me in. There has been similar problems that were related to the rocker arms or pcu.
Mine just started at 11,500 mi....two week wait on the dealer....

Update: I dropped off my JLRU on 06/21/2019 and today (26) I was told, it was a bad valve guide causing the intake valve to stick. Somehow, that doesn't makes sense. Now I wait. I thought those problems were over, but I guess not.
Discouraging at the least as I was hoping to keep it a long time. Not dependable as advertised. Maybe a call to Jeep Cares is in order, as information from the dealer is limited!

Diagnosed as a bad rocker arm etc., #4 cylinder (left bank); I thought they had that solved. I guess they should purchase better products.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
20k miles here without a hiccup. No knock, ping, or issue of any kind. I've done 4 used oil analyses and they've shown no issues. I run top tier gas, so there won't be any carbon buildup. I know a bunch of guys with the new 3.6 in their Jeeps and none of them have had any issues, either. Of course, when you make hundreds of thousands of them, there will be some with issues. They are still designed and partly assembled by human beings.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine just started at 11,500 mi....two week wait on the dealer....

Update: I dropped off my JLRU on 06/21/2019 and today (26) I was told, it was a bad valve guide causing the intake valve to stick. Somehow, that doesn't makes sense. Now I wait. I thought those problems were over, but I guess not.
Discouraging at the least as I was hoping to keep it a long time. Not dependable as advertised. Maybe a call to Jeep Cares is in order, as information from the dealer is limited!

Diagnosed as a bad rocker arm etc., #4 cylinder (left bank); I thought they had that solved. I guess they should purchase better products.
Since the repair, no issues and the power is very good, gas mileage seems a little better: issue from the start? Anyway, back on the road and that dang auto stop is on standby...don't have to shut if off each time...LOL.

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Since the repair, no issues and the power is very good, gas mileage seems a little better: issue from the start? Anyway, back on the road and that dang auto stop is on standby...don't have to shut if off each time...LOL.
Did yours make a ticking noise because of the rocker arm?

Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did yours make a ticking noise because of the rocker arm?
A ticking like bad fuel/octang knock on first start.... afterwards it was silent....poor performance....

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
20 miles on a brand new Factory Order Rubicon, 3 bad rocker arms, currently getting fixed at the dealership.

Reliability, lol?

Also, I signed up for this account before I even had the jeep so I'm not one of those people who created an account just to talk about my car issues.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 miles on a brand new Factory Order Rubicon, 3 bad rocker arms, currently getting fixed at the dealership.

Reliability, lol?

Also, I signed up for this account before I even had the jeep so I'm not one of those people who created an account just to talk about my car issues.
I a least went 11,500 miles...mine was the #4 cylinder...on a positive note, it now runs better, gas mileage improved and no auto/stop

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I a least went 11,500 miles...mine was the #4 cylinder...on a positive note, it now runs better, gas mileage improved and no auto/stop
Something for me to look forward to then I guess, lol.

Honestly, it isn't the biggest deal ever but it really makes it hard to ever want to drop 45grand on an American made car again.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something for me to look forward to then I guess, lol.

Honestly, it isn't the biggest deal ever but it really makes it hard to ever want to drop 45grand on an American made car again.
I agree...my bragging stopped and reliability thought as well, but, since it runs better now there must have been a problem to begin with. I just can't figure out why FCA doesn't use a better product.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I agree...my bragging stopped and reliability thought as well, but, since it runs better now there must have been a problem to begin with. I just can't figure out why FCA doesn't use a better product.
agreed...

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Motor is tits so far and feels smooth on my 18’. I clocked 105k on my 12’ JK with no issues other than the infamous left head misfire(warranty covered) but after that, it ran like a top. Guess I’m the minority in this discussion.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about problems, but folks they've made over 10,000,000 Pentastars and the overall data shows it to be reliable. Certainly, any engine can have problems, and hopefully they'll get those worked out, but statistically, in the automotive industry, it is regarded as among the most reliable high volume production engines out there, even grudgingly by engineers with FCA's competitors.

Of course, an internet forum is where you will find the ones that have trouble, which is good, because it helps to diagnose the issues and identify the proper repairs.

I know that if mine had a problem, it would be impossible to call it reliable. But understand that the reliability is determined by a large sample, and there has never been a production engine that didn't have problems in the sample. Even Toyota and Honda experiences this.

Last edited:

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
280177A0-EC26-4B0F-A088-A1C0435A7720.jpeg
8,200 miles on my 19 Rubi and that damn ticking sound just started coming from the driver side. Doesn’t do it right away but after a few minutes of warm up it’s pretty loud. Even my wife noticed and she never notices those noises. My Neighbor and I hooked it up to his scanner and no codes present at all. He said it sounds like a loud injector. Could be an issue but maybe not. Not sure what caused it but I did get shell vpower nitro the day before and the day after the loud tick started. Not sure fuel would cause it but I’ll try bp or Sunoco next to see if it goes away. Then it’s off to the dreaded dealer. Engine was running really smooth and breaking in nicely up until yesterday. Oh and checked the oil and it’s perfectly filled.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
280177A0-EC26-4B0F-A088-A1C0435A7720.jpeg
8,200 miles on my 19 Rubi and that damn ticking sound just started coming from the driver side. Doesn’t do it right away but after a few minutes of warm up it’s pretty loud. Even my wife noticed and she never notices those noises. My Neighbor and I hooked it up to his scanner and no codes present at all. He said it sounds like a loud injector. Could be an issue but maybe not. Not sure what caused it but I did get shell vpower nitro the day before and the day after the loud tick started. Not sure fuel would cause it but I’ll try bp or Sunoco next to see if it goes away. Then it’s off to the dreaded dealer. Engine was running really smooth and breaking in nicely up until yesterday. Oh and checked the oil and it’s perfectly filled.
I doubt the V-Power did anything to cause it. Have your dealer check it out. Replacing injectors shouldn't take too long, if that's what it turns out to be.
Sponsored