Sponsored

How real are DPF issues on a diesel motor?

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I came across this article from Geno's Garage, which is an online retailer with lots of experience with Cummins and Eco-diesel engines (I own a RAM Cummins and buy my filters and stuff from Geno's). He notes that the Ecodiesel has a higher instance of repair reports on their DEF systems than does Cummins, but even the rates he mentioned are low:

I also looked at the same parts for the 3.0 EcoDiesel trucks and Jeeps, and the parts replacement rates far exceed the HD truck parts replacements. The numbers are 3.4% replacement rate for injectors, and 1.6% for pump modules. This is more than likely because of the high number of defective SCR’s in light duty trucks that got misdiagnosed first as bad DEF. Almost all, if not all, of the SCR’s are under warranty, so there is less incentive to properly diagnose the root cause since there is little chance FCA will deny the warranty claim.
My friend who owns a RAM 1500 with the last gen Eco-Diesel has nothing but compliments. His only issue was after his ECU was reflashed as part of the diesel settlement issue, when his reported mileage dropped significantly. That concern was ameliorated by the settlement check he's getting from FCA.
Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Those expecting 30MPG out of a JL Ecodiesel are not in tune with reality. My Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel gets about 26-28mpg at best, so a boxier Jeep won't get better, that's for certain.

As for DEF, I fill it once about every 10,000 miles (the Wrangler's DEF tank may be smaller? not sure). However, go to a truck stop and fill it up with the bulk dispenser. (link) There's no need to get it from the store.

JP18
My 2015 Grand would get 33 on the interstate if I drove a reasonable speed 65 and under. I lifted my GC and 33s. With no speedo fix for the GC I don’t know what my fuel economy is now. I’m surprised that you didn’t get better than 28.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll tell you the only way I would ever have a diesel pickup is if it was a IH 7.3 emissions equipment is just horrible so I will stick with a gas 6.4 Hemi:rock:

Reactions: VNT

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Good luck to all who buy a diesel.
dpf = filter = replacement at some point. ~4500 hours on heavy equipment.
DEF ,non toxic but highly corrosive so don’t spill it on any metal(other than stainless). Freezes at 11f.
cleanliness is stupid important, so do buy the jugs. We see so many problems from bulk tank usage. Never put anything but def in that tank.
again good luck. Definitely buy the warranty
Sponsored