JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Starting to sound like the 2.0T is new enough that there's still a debat!?

So for me money is a factor. I'm trying to keep my build down as much as possible.

To do this my options are 3.6 manual or 2.0 Auto. Typically I use to love shifting gears. Loved doing it in my WRX hatch and my Challenger Scat Pack. But honestly I don't think I want to do it in my Jeep. So I'm leaning toward the 2.0 T Auto.

With that said the way things are going who knows if the 2.0 T automatic will even be an option for 2022 builds!?!?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Agree totally. One might say they are a similar series engine, as the v6 is similar series engine across Stellantis FCA. No?
One must also understand it is often required to re-design parts of a global product to meet the manufacturing plant capabilities and tooling available versus changing the plants and supply chains. This is compounded if the plants run different products so need to be flexible. Also the human factors come in - safety, unions, worker expectations, etc.

So while the same engine overall design numerous differences based on where they come from and the application they are intended for.

From pictures we did see the blocks are different, the Alfa is a closed deck where the Hurricane is an open deck. We also know the Alfa uses their Multi-Air setup where the Hurricane is a conventional twin cam setup.

Probably other differences as well - would be interesting to see a tear down of both side by side at some point.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Starting to sound like the 2.0T is new enough that there's still a debat!?

So for me money is a factor. I'm trying to keep my build down as much as possible.

To do this my options are 3.6 manual or 2.0 Auto. Typically I use to love shifting gears. Loved doing it in my WRX hatch and my Challenger Scat Pack. But honestly I don't think I want to do it in my Jeep. So I'm leaning toward the 2.0 T Auto.

With that said the way things are going who knows if the 2.0 T automatic will even be an option for 2022 builds!?!?
They just invested 75M in the factory in the US to build this engine locally so I don't expect it's going anywhere soon.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Nice! Which throttle controller did you get?
I went with the Hikeit, seemed like the best value.

I only replaced the WRX because the original clutch had just stated to slip. (only lasted 210,00 miles). Turbo was still going strong; not burning any oil. I always made sure I didn't turn it off HOT, went easy on it before turning the car off.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I went with the Hikeit, seemed like the best value.

I only replaced the WRX because the original clutch had just stated to slip. (only lasted 210,00 miles). Turbo was still going strong; not burning any oil. I always made sure I didn't turn it off HOT, went easy on it before turning the car off.
How do you not turn it off hot? Let it idle for a couple minutes before shutting off the ignition?

Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
How do you not turn it off hot? Let it idle for a couple minutes before shutting off the ignition?
Correct. Easy driving when I get close to my destination/parking and then sitting for only around 30 seconds to let the coolant flowing thru the turbo do its job. It probably helped that the WRX has a hood scoop and the turbo is under it allowing heat to escape upward when parked.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I already covered this. LS1, LS2, LS7ā€¦283, 327,350. Again, I do not think it is a from scratch design. Feel free to do the looking I did a few years ago when I purchased my Alfa 2.0. Andā€¦if weā€™re splitting hairs. The Alfa 2.0 and Jeep 2.0 are NOTā€¦.not the same. The cylinder head is different, confirmed by an Alfa insider on the Alfa Giulia forum thatā€™s there at the plant.
I still haven't been able to find anything that shows the GME was ever available in anything other than 2.0 liters, and that any major parts are compatible between the GME & GSE engines. It's like small block Chevy vs. big block... where no major components are interchangeable. The difference between the Jeep & Alfa 2.0 would be like double-hump heads vs. vortec heads.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@JeepViking13 a few notes
  1. Getting a Jeep that came WITH a hard top is better, as it will have the wiring/tubing for the rear window wiper already installed. Factory soft tops don't have this, and it's a pain to run later. You could always sell the hard top pretty easily to fund a soft top, and you'd have the wiring/tubing available if you changed your mind in the future.
  2. The 2.0L serves as the ICE component of the 4xe, and the 4xe lineup is pretty much the future of Jeep, so I'd say that tells us two things:
    1. Jeep feels pretty confident basing their future lineup on it
    2. It's going to be around for a while
I'm only ~3K miles into mine but I love it - came from a 4.8L V8 in my GMC Sierra and the difference is terrific. Incredibly peppy and I average 20-24 MPG between city/highway driving. No problems getting up to speed, passing, or putting around town.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@JeepViking13 a few notes
  1. Getting a Jeep that came WITH a hard top is better, as it will have the wiring/tubing for the rear window wiper already installed. Factory soft tops don't have this, and it's a pain to run later. You could always sell the hard top pretty easily to fund a soft top, and you'd have the wiring/tubing available if you changed your mind in the future.
  2. The 2.0L serves as the ICE component of the 4xe, and the 4xe lineup is pretty much the future of Jeep, so I'd say that tells us two things:
    1. Jeep feels pretty confident basing their future lineup on it
    2. It's going to be around for a while
I'm only ~3K miles into mine but I love it - came from a 4.8L V8 in my GMC Sierra and the difference is terrific. Incredibly peppy and I average 20-24 MPG between city/highway driving. No problems getting up to speed, passing, or putting around town.
I agree that in the grand scheme of things the hard top would be better from the start if you want those extra components. I just know after buying a $42k+ jeep I won't have the money for a $2k soft top for a long time.

I know I can sell the hard top but it's no guarantee that someone would actually buy it. It definitely would be a leap of faith.

The more I read about the 2.0 the more I like it. I think I would honestly be happy with both either the 3.6 or the 2.0T. It's really going to come down to whether I get the Manual transmission or the Automatic. Thats a whole different topic entirely on what transmission is better that I'm researching as well. Lol.

Last edited:

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I still haven't been able to find anything that shows the GME was ever available in anything other than 2.0 liters, and that any major parts are compatible between the GME & GSE engines. It's like small block Chevy vs. big block... where no major components are interchangeable. The difference between the Jeep & Alfa 2.0 would be like double-hump heads vs. vortec heads.
There is a world of info on the Alfa forum. Someone may recall more than I can.

Even if it isnā€™t interchangeable doesnā€™t mean a thing from my engine machinist experience. It really isnā€™t all that important regarding the question. Iā€™d look at what their reliability history is over last couple of powerplant developments introduced. But even then, one cannot make a conclusion on that one data point. I think that is what someone is trying to glean, whether the 2.0 is reliable. For a modern forced induction 4 cyl, seems like it is competitive in that regard.

Yes, there are components that are particular to it that may need replacing with high mileage but pick your poison. Thereā€™s pluses to be had in the interim over the 3.6, economy being one. I can only share my conclusion based on my first hand experience with two eTorque powerplants, both the 2.0 and 3.6. Over the life of the engine, perhaps it will make one feel better to know that the fuel saved will cover the cost to replace the turbo? Or that one got to enjoy the extra low rpm power of it? Gotta pay to play. No free rides. lol

Last edited:

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

nmonson

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I wonder if/when US made Hurricane engines will start showing up in MY2022 JL.
Sponsored