Sponsored

How much would you pay for an Autonomous option?

How much would you pay for an autonomous option?

• Total voters

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Waymo, Fiat Chysler just expanded their autonomous vehicle plans. Waymo, formerly known as the Google self driving car company, is working to roll out 62,000 autonomous Chysler Pacifica SUVs as driverless taxis.

In a few short years Waymo and Fiat will turn their attention to retail Jeep customers. How much would you pay for this option?
Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
An autonomous van: sure
An autonomous Jeep: No

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
That would be like paying for edible toilet paper.

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
The Jeep would not be autonomous 100% of the time...

This would be great for long & boring drives as well as help make longer work commutes (1hr +) MUCH more tolerable for some folks. I, for one, cannot wait for this to become mainstream.

Sponsored

mtnsurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Ford Expedition, 2018 JLUR Punk'n
If you could enable and disable it, that would be great. Would love it for work commute or long distance. Kind of like autonomous cruise control.

in all reality, I would probably get a different vehicle for autonomous driving.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I would pay over $5k x 3 (1 for each car) for my 3, 16 yr olds to have a safe autonomous option if the insurance would be offset. It's insane how much young drivers cost. Definitely not for a Jeep.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m guessing that the vast majority of the Jeep demographic wouldn’t opt for this, and in fact would vehemently oppose it. To the point of bitching that it’s on their vehicle even if they never use it. Know your audience.

I’d take it if it didn’t increase the already absurd $56K cost of a loaded JLUR. But I wouldn’t choose to pay for it as a stand alone option. I could only see it offered as a apart of a safety/convenience package. HUD, autonomous/adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, etc.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Self-driving car? Maybe. Not really my thing, but then again I don't have a long commute any more. I could see liking not having to deal with Manhattan stop and go traffic at rush hour (used to get shin splints).

Self-driving Wrangler? Defeats the purpose of the vehicle. We may use them for daily drivers, but these jeeps are first and foremost enthusiast vehicles. Nobody who's not an enthusiast (or total idiot, or both) would buy a vehicle with ladder frames and stick axles today.

If you want a comfortable commute, buy a car like my Explorer. Stick autonomous tech in that, no prob. But sticking autonomous tech in a Wrangler is like sticking autonomous tech in a Miata.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I would pay over $5k x 3 (1 for each car) for my 3, 16 yr olds to have a safe autonomous option if the insurance would be offset. It's insane how much young drivers cost. Definitely not for a Jeep.
16-year-olds only cost the price of bus passes. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
It is a 7-8 hour drive to the Rockies from Wichita on the I-70 highway. I would leave at night and sleep through the trip. It would effectively add two days of fun per vacation.
However, I think about all the times technology fails us today.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
I like to drive. I don’t want an autonomous car of any kind.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It is a 7-8 hour drive to the Rockies from Wichita on the I-70 highway. I would leave at night and sleep through the trip. It would effectively add two days of fun per vacation.
However, I think about all the times technology fails us today.
You know you still have to fully pay attention at all times and stay alert at the wheel even in an autonomous driving vehicle, right? Sheesh... :facepalm:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
You know you still have to fully pay attention at all times and stay alert at the wheel even in an autonomous driving vehicle, right? Sheesh... :facepalm:
Shhh, this is how we get rid of all those annoying Tesla fanbois who can't shut up about their "Autopilot".
Sponsored