• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

California How much weight can I tow?

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I have 2019 MOAB on 37” tires, lifted 2.5”.
I see it says it can tow a maximum 3,500lbs. Does my lift and large tires have any effect on the towing capacity?

I’ve also never towed. Any supplies I’ll need other than the trailer and hitch?
Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yes if your Jeep's axles are stock the transmission and the brakes will be working harder with the increased tire size.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I tow a 3300 when loaded down trailer on 35s and it tows fine. Never felt brake fade that’s going up and down mountains. You’ll be fine

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Yes, adding weight to your vehicle affects what you tow as your Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) has increased.

Determining what you can tow means you have to do a bit of what I call "Trailer Math".

Here's the key parts of the "Trailer Math" equation:

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight: How much your Jeep weighs loaded (vehicle, passengers, gear, fuel, accessories, hitch weight etc...)

GCVW = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (weight of fully loaded vehicle + weight of trailer)

GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (maximum combined vehicle weight published by Jeep)

Notes - You'll need to know:

1. Base vehicle weight
2. Cargo, passenger, gear, etc... weight
(For 1 & 2 if you load up the rig, weigh it on a certified scale & add estimated hitch weight then that's the real world data you need)
3. Loaded trailer weight. Folks usually use the trailer manufacturer's specified Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
4. Hitch weight (usually 10% of your trailer's GVWR - Max 350 pounds per OEM hitch spec)

So add the following:

Jeep GVW + hitch weight + trailer GVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight

Then subtract these two values:

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating - Gross Combined Vehicle Weight

If the GCVWR is a smaller number than the GCVW then you have a bit of a problem as you will have exceeded the vehicle's weight rating.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
There are a few threads you might want to read.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/anyone-towing-with-their-diesel.54142/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/towing-with-3-0-diesel.70886/

Yes, your mods will affect your towing experience. However, know that there are no laws saying that you can "only" tow what your vehicle is specified to tow.

Also, the JLU can tow a LOT more than the US tow rating. The tow ratings in Australia and Europe are 5500lbs for all Wrangler Unlimiteds.

I regularly tow a 5000lb boat in 90* summer heat, launching and pulling it out of the water, on interstates and back roads. And the diesel Jeep handles it very well.
Sponsored