Sponsored

How much weight added vs. MPG...2.0t specific

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
I realize this may be better suited for the exterior mod section but it pertains specifically to the 2.0...

I started looking at adding the LOD Destroyer sliders and the new MetalCloak skid system and it has me really wondering what cost this added weight will do to performance/mpg

As far as I can tell between these two mods alone that is an extra 280ish pounds...I also would like to add a wench in the future which would be roughly another 100-120lbs!

Will this extra 400lbs really diminish the MPG and and overall performance on the 2.0?

Who has fully armored up and what were the noticeable effects?

These mods may hit a back burner for me until there is a reliable tuning option to offset the negative daily driver effects of fully protecting for off roading. (its my daily and I'm still figuring out what kind of rig/protection I really need)
Sponsored

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I realize this may be better suited for the exterior mod section but it pertains specifically to the 2.0...

I started looking at adding the LOD Destroyer sliders and the new MetalCloak skid system and it has me really wondering what cost this added weight will do to performance/mpg

As far as I can tell between these two mods alone that is an extra 280ish pounds...I also would like to add a wench in the future which would be roughly another 100-120lbs!

Will this extra 400lbs really diminish the MPG and and overall performance on the 2.0?

Who has fully armored up and what were the noticeable effects?

These mods may hit a back burner for me until there is a reliable tuning option to offset the negative daily driver effects of fully protecting for off roading. (its my daily and I'm still figuring out what kind of rig/protection I really need)
We went from 24-25 MPG to 19-21 MPG ( according to the trip computer) on our 18 2.0 JLUR after installing the following:

Teraflex ST2 2.5" lift with Falcon 3.3
Teraflex Nexus 2.2 stabilizer
Fuel Vector wheels with 37x12.5x17 Toyo RTs (26 psi)
LOD Signature shorty
LOD Signature sliders
Smittybilt 10K X20 winch.

I estimate a net weight difference of close to 500 lbs.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of engine, it will affect it the same as if you had a V6.

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
...I would also like to add a wench in the future, which would be roughly another 100-120lbs!
Anything over 120 lbs wouldn’t be a very desirable wench.

Adding weight to any vehicle anywhere will degrade its performance, it increases the lb/hp ratio and the vehicle will accelerate more slowly and use more fuel to do it. The same reason toting an extra 500 lbs of people and gear slows you down especially in town or on mountain roads. Regardless, I doubt it would make much of a noticeable mpg difference to most owners.

OP
OP
Rub-ISH

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything over 120 lbs wouldn’t be a very desirable wench.

Adding weight to any vehicle anywhere will degrade its performance, it increases the lb/hp ratio and the vehicle will accelerate more slowly and use more fuel to do it. The same reason toting an extra 500 lbs of people and gear slows you down especially in town or on mountain roads. Regardless, I doubt it would make much of a noticeable mpg difference to most owners.

Thanks, yeah I was more concerned with mileage effects I guess...but the comeup wench I was looking at seemed to be clocking in at 70.5 lbs without the mounting plate so I don’t think I’m that far off on the 100lbs mark... I went with the 2.0 for flash tune ability and better MPG then my old V8 explorer...Ideally living in the 22mpg range is acceptable!

Out here in Vegas this time of year I am already seeing diminished MPG just due to the inevitable heat soak of 110 degree days! Currently averaging 18.5 but I have also been playing with manual shifting to keep the turbo close meat of the power band.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Depending on how often you carry people or gear, remember that weight will factor into your GVWR.

Adding 400-500 lbs of armor will significantly reduce your payload capacity.

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
Thanks, yeah I was more concerned with mileage effects I guess...but the comeup wench I was looking at seemed to be clocking in at 70.5 lbs without the mounting plate so I don’t think I’m that far off on the 100lbs mark...
I’m sorry, that was meant to be a joke based on your typo of winch. Wench is a young woman, so....

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
On a straight highway run, fuel mileage difference would be negligible with the extra weight. I took my 2.0 Sport 2-door to the beach over the weekend with my wife and two teenage kids (extra 400 lbs of people). I didn't notice a difference with the added weight, and the computer avg. mileage went up to over 26 on the ride down and back. I know that's not the most accurate means of figuring mileage, but it is an indicator nonetheless.

It really is as @DesertFox mentioned, once you start climbing hills or are in a lot of stop-go traffic would you see the weight penalty. Now of course, if you're going to load it down with the armor and such, then add passengers as well, you'll definitely see a decrease in fuel economy.

OP
OP
Rub-ISH

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sorry, that was meant to be a joke based on your typo of winch. Wench is a young woman, so....

Well in that case my wife is happly under the 120 mark so...I guess we are set on the winch/wench clarification...lol

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Winch and mount added 140# and affected handling but not any notable mileage loss, lift was notable then the tire change to 35" was also notable but the difference wasn't more than a couple of MPG (calculated and corrected for tire size difference)

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
After adding weight , winch, sliders, bigger tires and wheels, rack and lots of stuff in the back, i have started to go the other way, full underbelly skids made of aluminum only add about 30lbs, will be changing my factory steel bumper for an aluminum one saving maybe 80lbs or more, wheel size effects and the rack effects mpg more than most things

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I installed the following on my 2.0 '19 JLUR :
  • Currie 4" Lift (I have about ~8 3/4 inches of clearance between tire and fender). No rubbing at full articulation.
    • Front Trac Bar
    • Lower Control Arms
    • Spring Perches
    • 4" Dual Rate Springs
    • Fox Shocks
    • Fox Steering Stabilizer
    • Bump Stop Extensions
    • Sway Bar Links
  • Nitto Mud Grappler 37x12.50R17's (Weight: 85 lb -- vs 52 lb of stock KO2)
  • AEV Borah JL Beadlock wheels (with beadlock ring) -- ~35 lbs vs the 22 lbs stock wheels).
  • Tazer JL (to re-program the tire size and adjust TPMS sensitivity).
  • Warn Zeon 10S winch.
  • Running tires at 28 psi COLD. Have not done chalk test yet.
  • Pedal commander (just testing it)
  • Aligned it last week... running 4.8 caster. Any more and I think I would get some driveshaft issues. Noticeable improvement though in ride (it was at 4.2 before). Also removed some toe.
- Daily usage is a 25 mile commute each way (4 times a week) and net's me 14-15 mpg. Previously got 19-20. Rolling hills.
- To Flagstaff and back @ 70-80 net's me 10-11 mpg. Previously would get 16-18 at the same speed.
- Trip to Flagstaff, Vegas, Back to Phoenix netted me 14.5 mpg. I haven't done that trip stock, so not sure. But it was mostly at 60 mph.
- Very short trips around town with lots of stop and go I am around 12-13 mpg. Previously I was around 18-19.
- Longer city trips with less stop and go (more normal for me) I am around 16... previously I was upwards of 22-23.

Overall, the Jeep tends to search for 8th gear a lot and never really settles on it like it would before. 4.88's would fix that but also cost $2500 to save a few mpg and reduce the strength of the R&P, which isn't ideal when I am running a heavy wheel and tire setup.

I am installing 3 1/2" EVO Plush Ride springs next week since the ride is quite poor above 65 mph. I *think* this will lower it a 1/2" or so and let everything sit level as reported by others (small rake in front presently with the Currie springs) and resolve my ride quality issues. Not sure if it will change mpg.

MPG is worse than expected, but I think it's mostly due to how heavy of a wheel and tire setup I chose. There's some people reporting getting 17-18 with 37's with a lift and winch on the 2.0 (with stock gears)... I just don't see how that's possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rub-ISH

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah after all this I understand that it may be best to go with the lightest options for my build as I'm not all in on extreme climbing but would like better protection for moderate trails.

As of now only adding the Artec Aluminum skids and the LOD Destroyers...Running fifteen52 wheels that are significantly lighter than stock so I am hopeful that I can add a bit more armor while staying close to stock weight!

Just wish the Artec stuff wasnt so expensive...but light weight and good protection obviously wouldnt be cheap

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Yeah after all this I understand that it may be best to go with the lightest options for my build as I'm not all in on extreme climbing but would like better protection for moderate trails.

As of now only adding the Artec Aluminum skids and the LOD Destroyers...Running fifteen52 wheels that are significantly lighter than stock so I am hopeful that I can add a bit more armor while staying close to stock weight!

Just wish the Artec stuff wasnt so expensive...but light weight and good protection obviously wouldnt be cheap
I am probably in the minority but I have never had an issue just running stock skids. I will probably add the EVO bomber rockers though on the JL to give a bit extra side protection to keep boulders away from the body. But I ran Moab and other moderate trails (rated 6-7) and used the crap out of the stock skids, rock rails, and bumpers and never had an issue. I did buy the stock steel bumper group though.

I'm just shocked how much of a dip the wheel and tire setup made. I mean, I did expect it to drop, but not by nearly 40% in some cases. I am sure you guys have sharp rocks out there in Vegas too -- it's the primary reason I chose a heavier tire. I was too afraid of getting multiple flats. Patagonia's (@ 71 lbs as opposed to the 85 lb Nittos) were my second choice, but they seem to shred pretty easily (granted, they're probably closer to a hybrid tire but still). Perhaps I am wrong and they are just as strong as the Nittos, not sure. Lots of good reviews on the Patagonia's lately.

Honestly, I just need to throw the stock wheels and tires back on and see much the winch and lift killed me in the mpg department, as that should show the overall tire delta then.

I will be ordering the EcoDiesel anyway at some point (in army green most likely), but for now the difference between 19 mpg and 13 mpg is $95/month @ 15k a year. Really not a huge deal. Just a bit mentally depressing when I was getting such good mpg stock! Such a tease.

Last edited:

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
37” Ridge Grapplers on KMC RG Beadlocks
Rockslide step sliders with skids
Artec Aluminum Skids
Steel front bumper with a Warn Platinum 10S
Rear Motobilt Bumper
2.5” Teraflex lift with Alpine arms
Heavy duty driveshafts
RCV Axles with a FAD delete
And a few other items...
4.88’s and 8th is now back...

If I draft on the freeway, I can get into the 20’s even fully loaded (add another 600lbs of gear, food water etc).

Around town and normal driving, 15-18 in LA traffic. Depending how heavy my foot is.

Wind is the enemy, not weight. None of these people who comment normalize for wind. If I get a headwind, I lose 5+ mpg and the opposite for a tailwind or (safely) drafting a larger vehicle.
Sponsored