Sponsored

How much to ask for my Jeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I live in Indiana. If we trade in a vehicle we only pay sales tax on the difference in price. If you trade in a $25,000 car on a $40,000 vehicle, you only pay tax on the $15,000 difference.

May be different in your state, but it’s worth checking.
Sponsored

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Shoot for the $30k, if you get no hits on it after a week, throw OBO after the $30k, walk the price down $500 a week until it sells. We of course all know about the 3.8 vs 3.6L, honestly, most everyone out there doesnt. I've sold Jeeps for going on 9 years for a dealer and I bring it up more often than the buyer does

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Pull your mods and resale or take the loss.
I had a built 2004 TJ Rubi w/ 120k mi on CL for $10k: lift, 33's, skids, bumpers, dual tops, 2 sets of doors, hard top storage system, etc. The entire thing, give me money and you can have it all. I was realistic and would have taken trade value (~$6-7k) if someone gave me cash in hand.

Nobody bit. AS soon as I started stripping parts and listing them on CL, they sold almost instantly. Between that and some saving, I ended up breaking even on the first year build on my JLUR. And buddy, you would not believe the rusted, clapped out, piece of shit TJ's people were rolling up with to pick up the parts they bought. Literally rusting out from under them in a few cases and worth less than $2k with 200k mi on it. They could have had my entire old Jeep turn key for less than they were planning on putting into their shitbox, and no, none of those Jeeps were hardcore builds or special in any way. I couldn't understand it. But hey- I don't tell people how to spend their money unless asked first... mostly.

That said: When I started the process of looking at new to me 4 door Jeeps a few used JKUR's caught my eye- I knew the parts installed were quality and high end, and had it worked out, I would have paid a little over Fair value KBB for them because I could sign the papers on Friday and go hit the hard trails on Saturday. That said: Dealers didn't want to deal. One sold before the dealer could email me back, and the other i had a dealer rep basically tell me to go fuck myself. lol

I tend to keep my vehicles and use them long enough so by the time I'm looking to sell/ trade- the perceived loss is small- because I've got my use out of the Jeep and the mods.

Either way, good luck. List it high and see who bites. As time gets closer to D-Day on your 392 (Congrats, btw that's a rad machine) drop the price and if nobody bites just trade it or sell via Carvana or something like that. Can't hurt to try,.

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I'm definitely getting that message, but I have to confess I don't understand why. I'm sure there are reasons since so many echo your thoughts on this. Personally, I'd like buying something that's already had everything done to it - saves me the trouble. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for responding!
The higher your mod your vehicle the narrower your market is. You end up speaking only to those who want to mod their future vehicle to similar how you have it. Those who want stock or most ot differently will buy stock.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Pull your mods and resale or take the loss.
I had a built 2004 TJ Rubi w/ 120k mi on CL for $10k: lift, 33's, skids, bumpers, dual tops, 2 sets of doors, hard top storage system, etc. The entire thing, give me money and you can have it all. I was realistic and would have taken trade value (~$6-7k) if someone gave me cash in hand.

Nobody bit. AS soon as I started stripping parts and listing them on CL, they sold almost instantly. Between that and some saving, I ended up breaking even on the first year build on my JLUR. And buddy, you would not believe the rusted, clapped out, piece of shit TJ's people were rolling up with to pick up the parts they bought. Literally rusting out from under them in a few cases and worth less than $2k with 200k mi on it. They could have had my entire old Jeep turn key for less than they were planning on putting into their shitbox, and no, none of those Jeeps were hardcore builds or special in any way. I couldn't understand it. But hey- I don't tell people how to spend their money unless asked first... mostly.

That said: When I started the process of looking at new to me 4 door Jeeps a few used JKUR's caught my eye- I knew the parts installed were quality and high end, and had it worked out, I would have paid a little over Fair value KBB for them because I could sign the papers on Friday and go hit the hard trails on Saturday. That said: Dealers didn't want to deal. One sold before the dealer could email me back, and the other i had a dealer rep basically tell me to go fuck myself. lol

I tend to keep my vehicles and use them long enough so by the time I'm looking to sell/ trade- the perceived loss is small- because I've got my use out of the Jeep and the mods.

Either way, good luck. List it high and see who bites. As time gets closer to D-Day on your 392 (Congrats, btw that's a rad machine) drop the price and if nobody bites just trade it or sell via Carvana or something like that. Can't hurt to try,.
Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful reply. I really like this forum (I'm new to it), and I appreciate so many people giving thoughtful replies. I've had a Jeep since the mid-1970's (my first was a CJ5 - wish I still had it). I do typically keep cars until they rot, but the 392 seemed like fun to get, and my wife insisted I get it (everybody needs my wife as their wife, but they can't have her!). A buddy of mine hooked me up with an elderly gentleman in my town who sells vehicles for you (he does it all - cleans it up, posts it, manages potential buyers, etc.) and he charges $400. I'm going to use him because I just don't have the time to deal with the headache of selling it myself. And you're right, fortunately, I have time to wait for somebody who is looking for what I have. Probably dumb I put all of the stuff on it I did and never took it off-road, but it's my personality. I want EVERYTHING there is on my car. However, I won't do any mods on the 392 (except maybe small stuff and a winch). I'd really like to keep the one I have and use it for off-roading, but my awesome wife doesn't want three cars anymore (she's the practical one of us, and she asks for so very little). I'll let you know what happens (if you're interested).

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
I live in Indiana. If we trade in a vehicle we only pay sales tax on the difference in price. If you trade in a $25,000 car on a $40,000 vehicle, you only pay tax on the $15,000 difference.

May be different in your state, but it’s worth checking.
Nice to know - I grew up in Indiana (1961 to 1999). I just can't stomach what they'd give me on trade-in.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
In my opinion the high end of bluebook is very reasonable, considering your mods, low mileage, and the fact they were professionally installed. No you won't get your mod price back, but quality, tasteful mods definitely don't hurt resale value. Lucky for you most people don't know that the 3.6 and accompanying transmissions are so much better than the 3.8. You'll likely find the right buyer in the $20-25k range rather quickly.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
in factory-new condition
If you plan on using this language in your ad, I'd change it to "excellent condition." Your vehicle is used, so absolutely nothing about it is factory-new. Don't use fluff language or unintentionally inaccurate terminology to describe the vehicle.

I know, it's a tiny thing, but dealerships do this kinda shit all the time, on purpose, and people pick up on it pretty quick.

People try to sell vehicles as if they've added value to them and as a result, they're more special or unique, but at the end of the day, your JK is still a JK. And while there's nothing wrong with that, just describe its condition, how you've taken care of it, and what mods you've done. Don't include pics of it on the trail, don't compare it to or say it's better than a Rubicon, and don't say it's one of a kind.

Keep it simple, honest, to the point, have some excellent pictures of it nice and clean, and you'll absolutely sell it.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Oh true, the old engine and interior will push it to the lower end.

some guys prefer the 3.8...
Nobody liked the 3.8. Hell, Jeep didn't even like it, but it was the best they could do at the time while Chrysler was slowly circling the drain.

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
If you plan on using this language in your ad, I'd change it to "excellent condition." Your vehicle is used, so absolutely nothing about it is factory-new. Don't use fluff language or unintentionally inaccurate terminology to describe the vehicle.

I know, it's a tiny thing, but dealerships do this kinda shit all the time, on purpose, and people pick up on it pretty quick.

People try to sell vehicles as if they've added value to them and as a result, they're more special or unique, but at the end of the day, your JK is still a JK. And while there's nothing wrong with that, just describe its condition, how you've taken care of it, and what mods you've done. Don't include pics of it on the trail, don't compare it to or say it's better than a Rubicon, and don't say it's one of a kind.

Keep it simple, honest, to the point, have some excellent pictures of it nice and clean, and you'll absolutely sell it.
Good advice - thanks!

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Other thought is to advertise in as many places as possible.

My son in law lives in northern Indiana and bought a Jeep from Alabama because it was what he wanted . I think he found it on Craig’s list

I’d do anything I could think of that’s free or real cheap. There are a bunch of Jeep forums. I’d hit them all that I could. Never know

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
What's wrong with the 3.8? I wasn't aware of the 3.6 vs. 3.8 issue.
The 3.8 feels like a Pentastar with two plug wires missing. It is arguably the weakest Jeep engine of the modern era. I owned two of them.

Let's put it this way: The performance jump from the 3.8 to the 3.6 is as large as the jump will be from the 3.6 to the 392. [not quite, but it feels like it]
Sponsored