OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
The 3.8 feels like a Pentastar with two plug wires missing. It is arguably the weakest Jeep engine of the modern era. I owned two of them.

Let's put it this way: The performance jump from the 3.8 to the 3.6 is as large as the jump will be from the 3.6 to the 392. [not quite, but it feels like it]
That's crazy! How did I not know that?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.8 felt especially weak with that 4-speed automatic. The engine performed a LOT better with the 6-speed manual. I owned a couple JKs with the 3.8 and 6-speed: they were actually quite fun to drive.

A nice feature of the 3.8 is that it delivered all 202 HP and 240 lbs of torque at much lower RPMs than the 3.6, which made a difference if you were manually shifting gears on the trail.

The 3.6 not only produced more power, more smoothly, but it benefitted greatly from the switch to the 5-speed automatic. But that 5-speed, as sturdy as it was, was slow, clunky and on its way out.

The new 8-speed automatic completely changes the character of the 3.6 all over again: the V6 feels a lot stronger and more refined on JL than it ever did on JK.

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
The 3.8 felt especially weak with that 4-speed automatic. The engine performed a LOT better with the 6-speed manual. I owned a couple JKs with the 3.8 and 6-speed: they were actually quite fun to drive.

A nice feature of the 3.8 is that it delivered all 202 HP and 240 lbs of torque at much lower RPMs than the 3.6, which made a difference if you were manually shifting gears on the trail.

The 3.6 not only produced more power, more smoothly, but it benefitted greatly from the switch to the 5-speed automatic. But that 5-speed, as sturdy as it was, was slow, clunky and on its way out.

The new 8-speed automatic completely changes the character of the 3.6 all over again: the V6 feels a lot stronger and more refined on JL than it ever did on JK.
I wish I'd known that before I bought it. Oh well, too late now. Thanks for the info.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

The 3.8 peaked lower in the rpm range, as the torque was already falling off by 4k rpms. It was weaker across the board and ran out of steam by 5k. At that point the 3.6 only had about 40 hp on it. Above that the 3.8 rolled over and the 3.6 kept climbing by another ~50hp. The 2.8 1st gear in the early jk autos made it even more of a dog, but even the manuals didn't pull for crap if you put on larger tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL How much to ask for my Jeep Screenshot_20210227-055543_Samsung Internet

OP
OP

iqrdzz

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara Unlimited
The 3.8 peaked lower in the rpm range, as the torque was already falling off by 4k rpms. It was weaker across the board and ran out of steam by 5k. At that point the 3.6 only had about 40 hp on it. Above that the 3.8 rolled over and the 3.6 kept climbing by another ~50hp. The 2.8 1st gear in the early jk autos made it even more of a dog, but even the manuals didn't pull for crap if you put on larger tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL How much to ask for my Jeep Screenshot_20210227-055543_Samsung Internet
Well, I hope the 392 doesn't disappoint. Thx!

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I had an early 2007 JK, 2door, with 4:10, LSD. Base model. That gearing made it fun to drive. Hard to believe that I think of early JKs as " simple" to work on...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I hope the 392 doesn't disappoint. Thx!
You won’t be disappointed with the 392.

I owned several cars with the 392; it is an awesome engine. It pulls like mad and sings like an opera singer.

At most, you will get a mild heart attack every time you pull into a gas station... :LOL:

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Thanks! It is nice to hear some encouraging news. All of my mod work was done at a place called Fortec 4x4 in Roswell, GA. It's an excellent shop, and I have all of the work documents (I keep everything - every oil change receipt, etc.). I don't have the time or knowledge to put crap parts on my Jeep. I have a bad habit of paying too much to get stuff done right, but I feel like that's better than getting a "deal" and having it done wrong. I really have not taken my Jeep off road. I think it makes sense to price upper 20's, list it appropriately and see what happens. Even taking the emotion out of it (and I find it hard to get emotional about an inanimate object) I would hope being in the greater Atlanta area would provide enough bodies to find an interested party. I'm not looking to get top dollar - I just don't want to give it away. We'll see what happens. Thanks! Barry
Having had a lot of work done at Fortec, have you considered asking them if you could place a notice of your vehicle with them? perhaps even park it in their lot with a for sale sign on if for a couple days..if people in the area know the shop's quality, they'll be more apt to pay more for the mods done by them

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'll let you know what happens (if you're interested).
Please do. I'm keeping close tabs on the 392. I have my 2019 JLUR I've modded. I love it and I want to keep it forever... but I'd be lying if i said I wasn't curious about how the 392 will do in real world use. I think I'll be ok, but should I ever have to part with my 6 speed Manual Trans JLUR (due to knee/ ankle issues), I'd also be lying if I said I wouldn't be at least entertaining a 392.

coljl

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Anniversary Edition
Just sold my 2008 2dr with 114,000 well cared for miles on it - have a 80th Anniversary ed on order - for $2,500 over what dealer offered. Sale price was at the high range of KBB price for third party sale.
Sponsored