Sponsored

How much steering play does your JL have?

How much steering play does your JL have?

• Total voters

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
I checked the steering box number and mine is 68250506AD, would the 68250506AE fix the issue?
Sponsored

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Well, I just dropped it off at the dealer, let us see what they come back with.

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
@JeepCares :
Well I just picked up the vehicle and nothing was done. When I dropped off the Jeep I explained exactly the issue and printed out the description as I stated above and gave it to them. The description they had on the invoice was that 'Customer concern on the noise over bumps or the play in the steering wheel'. Nowhere I said anything about noise over bumps. I stressed the issue of the Steering Box making a clunking noise when the steering wheel moved back and forth. Of course, they stated this is normal.They said that all steering components are withing spec. I asked if they drove it on the Highway to verify my description of the Jeep wandering to the next lane, they said no as components were within spec.

The loaner they gave me was a four door 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S. It drove much better than mine. I did the same test described (moving the steering wheel back and forth in my garage while parked and off) and there was no clunking noise, and the wheels moved with less movements in the steering wheel. I also noticed that the Steering Box on the loaner had the updated part number (68250506AE). I mentioned that to them, and of course mine is still 'within spec'.

@JeepCares: What should be my next steps? Appreciate the advise you can give.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
We f you really feel ts wrong or unsafe, try another dealer and explain your concerns. Document the crap out of each visit to the dealer. They said mine was normal too, and newer drove it on a freeway.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares :
Well I just picked up the vehicle and nothing was done. When I dropped off the Jeep I explained exactly the issue and printed out the description as I stated above and gave it to them. The description they had on the invoice was that 'Customer concern on the noise over bumps or the play in the steering wheel'. Nowhere I said anything about noise over bumps. I stressed the issue of the Steering Box making a clunking noise when the steering wheel moved back and forth. Of course, they stated this is normal.They said that all steering components are withing spec. I asked if they drove it on the Highway to verify my description of the Jeep wandering to the next lane, they said no as components were within spec.

The loaner they gave me was a four door 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S. It drove much better than mine. I did the same test described (moving the steering wheel back and forth in my garage while parked and off) and there was no clunking noise, and the wheels moved with less movements in the steering wheel. I also noticed that the Steering Box on the loaner had the updated part number (68250506AE). I mentioned that to them, and of course mine is still 'within spec'.

@JeepCares: What should be my next steps? Appreciate the advise you can give.
Hello, Michael. I have responded to your private message. Please continue to work there to avoid any missed communication.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

2018jlrubicon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl rubicon
Iā€™m having a very similar issue to whatā€™s describe above. The Jeep is a 2018 JLU rubicon with 5200 miles on it and I have a mopar 2ā€ lift on it that was installed at the dealer also Running 35ā€ tires. My vehicle wanders all over the place and unsafe and horrible to drive. I received the v41 recall but the dealership told this could not be done due to the after market lift and tires on this. So I put on a fox stabilizer and that help a bit but still not acceptable for the price you pay for these new jeeps. This is Very frustrating to me and I donā€™t think I can wait for Jeep to fix this.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Iā€™m having a very similar issue to whatā€™s describe above. The Jeep is a 2018 JLU rubicon with 5200 miles on it and I have a mopar 2ā€ lift on it that was installed at the dealer also Running 35ā€ tires. My vehicle wanders all over the place and unsafe and horrible to drive. I received the v41 recall but the dealership told this could not be done due to the after market lift and tires on this. So I put on a fox stabilizer and that help a bit but still not acceptable for the price you pay for these new jeeps. This is Very frustrating to me and I donā€™t think I can wait for Jeep to fix this.
Easy fix!!

Sell Jeep - buy Honda.

Last edited:

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
I raised the issue with Jeep, a case was assigned. Waiting for them to call me back.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37ā€™s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
The ā€œAEā€ box did not fix mine. There is an ā€œelectricalā€ bulletin that came out in Dec19 that says to perform after the ā€œAEā€ gearbox install. I am having it done at the dealership now. Letā€™s see what happens.

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Please update us on the results. Do you know the Service Bulletin number for the "electricalā€ bulletin? Mine is currently in the shop for this issue. They are claiming it is the Steering Damper being loose (the V41 recall was already done) and are replacing it. I tried to convince them that this does not make sense but to no avail. I will let it play out and steer them (pun intended) to the Steering Box (mine is AD) and inform them of this bulleting. I do have a case open with Chrysler, and so far they have been very helpful.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Please update us on the results. Do you know the Service Bulletin number for the "electricalā€ bulletin? Mine is currently in the shop for this issue. They are claiming it is the Steering Damper being loose (the V41 recall was already done) and are replacing it. I tried to convince them that this does not make sense but to no avail. I will let it play out and steer them (pun intended) to the Steering Box (mine is AD) and inform them of this bulleting. I do have a case open with Chrysler, and so far they have been very helpful.
Glad to hear you have a case started, Michael. Feel free to send us a private message if you need any updates on the case.

Kate
JeepCares

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got it back today. Not sure if it did anything because the wind in Dallas is blowing 25 mph. I will report later when I get a chance to drive it.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is an update. I had the ā€œAEā€ gearbox put on back in Nov 2019 and it did not seem to help. I had this update done while it was in the shop (again) and it made it 80% better. My opinion is the electronics upgrade in the bulletin fixes the steering sensitivity, not the gearbox. The bulletin only applies after an ā€œAEā€ box is installed. Just so everyone knows,
55413215-21F0-4C63-A4AC-4A124D6E674D.jpeg
71F58A30-5AD5-41EE-917D-7B869F150851.jpeg
my JLUR is on a 2ā€ RE spacer lift with stock Rubicon suspension. I am running 37ā€ Ridgies with Falcon stabilizer and Teraflex trackbar.

OP
OP

FFCars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I hadnā€™t driven my JLRU in weeks. Last night it scarred the crap out of me backing it out of the garage because the steering sucks so bad. Iā€™ve been driving my new 2020 Ram 1500 and LOVE IT! But my Jeep sucks - big time. It has less than 1,000 miles on it and I just canā€™t deal with the sloppy steering any longer. I canā€™t believe that Jeep hasnā€™t found a real fix or even admitted there is a MAJOR problem with some of our Jeeps. Iā€™m going to take it to one more dealer and if they canā€™t get the steering tightened up, it will be time to part ways with my Jeep. This is my 7th Jeep and itā€™s just not right. Period.

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
This is my 7th Jeep and itā€™s just not right. Period.
With so many people suggesting it's normal or a Jeep thing, it's good to see posts from people who have had a lot of Jeeps.
Sponsored