Sponsored

How much should I be able to negotiate on a used 2018 JL Sahara?

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Hey All,

First post here.

I like many of you have caught the itch to get a Wrangler. This is mainly since I live by the beach and ski about 20 days a year and my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Betsy) is ready to be put out to pasture. So I have decided to buy a JL Sahara, and I am looking at used to save some money. (Priced out new with 8% off, and it is about $5K more then used).

Basically I found a 2018 Sahara with 14,600 miles for $38,300. This specific model has leather, the cold weather group, hard top headliner, same color hardtop and the premium wheels. The sticker for it was $47,200 when new. It is not at a Jeep dealership but rather at a Chevy dealership as it was traded in, so I won't get the precert on it for 100,000 miles warranty.

With that in mind, I reached out to them and they have a $500 coupon for internet purchases, they are willing to give me $1,000 for my Jeep (which is probably closer to $500) and he said he would waive the $600 in document fees. But that's as far as he is going on it. So basically, it's like $1,600 off.

Having said all of this, is this what I should be expecting when negotiating a used jeep? I was hoping to get that to $35,000, but I am not sure it's realistically for me to think that way on getting a wrangler.

Thanks all for the help.
Sponsored

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wranglers hold their value extremely well (why I think a lot of people, especially on this forum, buy new). If you had custom ordered that Wrangler from one of the competitive dealers listed on the forum, it probably would have been in the ~$41k area new (~12-15% off MSRP). In fact, you can order a 2020 from one of these dealers, with the options you want, for that discount.

Question is -- is two model years older and ~15k miles worth saving ~4k to you?

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Was it $41K after taxes? Everything I saw was $44K after tax, ~$41K before.

Now in terms of worth it, kind of. Never really needed a new car. 15,000 miles is not driven to death for me. Just slightly used.

Also, maybe I am wrong on this, but what I am noticing with Wranglers, is that people buy it as a dream car, and realize, maybe they don't like what a Jeep drive is. Then they trade it in. What I could be completely delusional on, is that my hope is, with these used cars, you at least have the showroom lemon out of the way. But yet, again, I could be delusional on it.

QQ for you. With the factory tires, how long do they normally last? I am thinking, I may need to get new Brakes and New Tires at the worst. But then could always make the excuse that since I will need those, I can just get it lifted. I am sure the wife will fall for it.

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Was it $41K after taxes? Everything I saw was $44K after tax, ~$41K before.

Now in terms of worth it, kind of. Never really needed a new car. 15,000 miles is not driven to death for me. Just slightly used.

Also, maybe I am wrong on this, but what I am noticing with Wranglers, is that people buy it as a dream car, and realize, maybe they don't like what a Jeep drive is. Then they trade it in. What I could be completely delusional on, is that my hope is, with these used cars, you at least have the showroom lemon out of the way. But yet, again, I could be delusional on it.

QQ for you. With the factory tires, how long do they normally last? I am thinking, I may need to get new Brakes and New Tires at the worst. But then could always make the excuse that since I will need those, I can just get it lifted. I am sure the wife will fall for it.
Brakes should be good with that mileage and have lots of life left. Tires can last 60k+ depending on how you take care of them. Rotate them every 5k and make sure they are properly inflated and you can get a lot more life out of them.

That is $41k + TTL. If the Sahara is $38k out the door that is a good price and will save around $5-6k vs. new. Otherwise you will be saving $3-4k compared to new. That is how I ended up with a 2020 JLUR.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Yup, trying to get to that $38K after TTL on the Sahara. Me and the dealer are off by like $1,200.

That's why I am trying to see if it's reasonable for me to try to get the $1,200 off, or if I am dreaming.

Sponsored

blb078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Used cars do not have as much of a markup as new but that initial 1600 off they offered is a joke. You're 35k price is a good one to stick with. They over 3300 in profit in that vehicle. I would stick with the 35k you want and tell them take it or you're ordering a new one. One thing you can do is put the specs/vin in carvana and see what they offer it as, which in my experience is usually a bit higher than what dealers offer on trade that will at least give you some idea of where you can go with pricing on it.

renegadecaderyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yup, trying to get to that $38K after TTL on the Sahara. Me and the dealer are off by like $1,200.

That's why I am trying to see if it's reasonable for me to try to get the $1,200 off, or if I am dreaming.
I would stick with $38k out the door. At $39k I would rather pay the $4-5k more and order a 2020. IMO that isn't much of a premium to go from used to new.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I think your being reasonable at $38k out the door. Go to the dealer (as long as it’s not a far drive) and test drive the wrangler. If you like it tell them right then and there you’ll take it for $38k including all fees and taxes.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Used cars do not have as much of a markup as new but that initial 1600 off they offered is a joke. You're 35k price is a good one to stick with. They over 3300 in profit in that vehicle. I would stick with the 35k you want and tell them take it or you're ordering a new one. One thing you can do is put the specs/vin in carvana and see what they offer it as, which in my experience is usually a bit higher than what dealers offer on trade that will at least give you some idea of where you can go with pricing on it.
Awesome reco on the Carvana. Funny thing is, it is saying $35,065. So, I think I am at the magic spot. It's just these NY/NJ dealers that think they are sitting on gold or something.

I would stick with $38k out the door. At $39k I would rather pay the $4-5k more and order a 2020. IMO that isn't much of a premium to go from used to new.
Yup, I was working with the manager, and the sales assistant called. I basically told him exactly this. Granted, I still want to save that $5K. I already have a laundry list of add ons I want to get:
- Soft top
- Winch for the garage so I can take the top off by myself
- Hangers for the doors
- Mirrors that mount to the frame so that I have side mirrors when the doors are off.
- Mopar Lift kit, with new Rims and Tires to have a 2 inch lift on 35s.

And that's just the starter list. :CWL:

I think your being reasonable at $38k out the door. Go to the dealer (as long as it’s not a far drive) and test drive the wrangler. If you like it tell them right then and there you’ll take it for $38k including all fees and taxes.
I am very tempted to do that. Only issue is that it's an hour and a half up and back down. If he decides to play hardball after the fact, I am down 3 hours with nothing to show for it.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
As a complete aside, does anyone know how much it costs these guys to keep a car on the lot. Especially if it is a car is a Jeep sitting at a Chevy dealership?

It's not like I am going to Chevy looking to buy a used Jeep.

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
You know, you are in the tri-state area, so there are probably a lot of jeeps out there, not just this one. I know how you can get your heart stuck on one, but if he doesn't do the 35, just walk. There WILL be another one, just as nice or nicer waiting out there for you.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
You know, you are in the tri-state area, so there are probably a lot of jeeps out there, not just this one. I know how you can get your heart stuck on one, but if he doesn't do the 35, just walk. There WILL be another one, just as nice or nicer waiting out there for you.
Definitely want to remind myself of this. TBH, this is not even the jeep I REALLY want. What I want is a mopar 2 inch lifted Sahara with 35s and leather (wife wants the leather).

The thing that gets me, is they had the EXACT car I wanted for $37K in Maryland. I found it at 9:15PM and the dealership closed at 9:00PM. Had meetings till 1PM the next day. I call the dealership, and the car sold that morning at 10AM!

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Actually, car dealers make more profit on used cars than new. The markup on used cars is usually higher than on new unless there are hidden dealer incentives from the manufacturer on the new vehicle. What part of the country you live in is also a big factor when determining resale values of used vehicles and the selling price of new ones. The trade in value of the Sahara you're thinking about is around $35,300 per Kelly Blue Book, so they have about $3000 to work with.

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Actually, car dealers make more profit on used cars than new. The markup on used cars is usually higher than on new unless there are hidden dealer incentives from the manufacturer on the new vehicle. What part of the country you live in is also a big factor when determining resale values of used vehicles and the selling price of new ones. The trade in value of the Sahara you're thinking about is around $35,300 per Kelly Blue Book, so they have about $3000 to work with.
Ah, so here is the issue. I am looking to be $38K after TTL. Out the door price. Currently he is offering it to me $36,200. I want it for $35,000. After TTL, I will be at $38,000.

From what your saying, I am asking him for below KBB.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ah, so here is the issue. I am looking to be $38K after TTL. Out the door price. Currently he is offering it to me $36,200. I want it for $35,000. After TTL, I will be at $38,000.

From what your saying, I am asking him for below KBB.
That's correct, unless the previous owner didn't do his research and traded the Sahara in for quite a bit less than it's value. Is the current offer $36,200 for the Sahara minus $1,000 for your Grand Cherokee? If it is, I think it would be a great deal. That would leave a difference of $35,200 plus TTL. I wouldn't do it if I was the dealer, because I'd be basically giving you the Sahara for what I have in it and taking on an 18 year old headache that will probably end up at the local auction house.
Sponsored