Sponsored

How much or what level of off-roading does it make sense to go Rubi over Sahara?

OP
OP

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What gets lost in these chest pumping what is better discussions is no one actually discusses the other 99.9% of the driving you will likely do, meaning the everyday street use, the daily ride may or may not be important, but keep in mind the Rubicon is a stiff ride, another reason we chose the Sahara whereas stock it has the best ride of the bunch but when we added the Rancho lift we installed their shocks that were adjustable so we were able to maintain the great street ride of the Sahara after the lift and 35's.
Oh don't worry, I am well aware of the other aspect of all this in the "not getting stuck or going through uncharted lands" opposite side of things and I do appreciate the information in that regard. One of the top reasons I am even considering Sahara is what you stated, it's a smoother ride on the streets and daily use.

The Jeep will be my DD. I am also considering the person I am with and because of that, I am getting the 8 speed automatic over the manual, due to they don't know how to drive one. And in all honestly that switch is fine by me, because the 8 speed in itself is also very good, it just costs more money.

On that same note, my daily driving is very minimal as I work from home. Basically most of it is either down the street to get some groceries or dropping the kiddo off at school.

With that being said, having a smooth ride when driving 4+ hour to a camping site is a huge consideration in all this too, not just the rough aspect near the end. Once I test drive both models over this weekend, I'll have a much better idea if the Sahara street driving trumps the Rubicon by a very large margin, or if I am comfortable enough in the Rubicon that I go with it.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Wow this thread really blew up. I want to thank everyone for the input they have given, as it has given me a better view and ideas of what each model has to offer. I still haven't decided on which I will pick but will be looking and test driving the Jeeps this Monday to get a much better feel of them.

To add some of the things that came up and were asked, I don't have a budget limit for the vehicle, I can go with either one comfortably. With that being said, I don't see myself doing much in terms of modifications to it. That's just simply a path I don't think I should take, because I can see myself dumping an endless amount of cash if I start doing that :facepalm:.

As I mentioned before, I do a lot of camping and do hit snow sometimes in the mountains, but it has never been anything I couldn't handle with a 4WD vehicle and some chains. And this is on roads that have been paved and plowed in national parks. The one thing (though I am sure there are several) that keeps me thinking on the Rubi is the lockers, even though I do know I could add them to the front of the Sahara as someone mentioned.

But in either case though, whether I get a Sahara or Rubicon, I do plan to get a winch added, which from what I am reading also means replacing the front bumper, which I am okay with. To me that just seems like a very good addition to the vehicle for if it or another vehicle gets stuck. Plus it gives it that very rugged look :like:
After reading this there’s no reason not to get a Rubicon. If you don’t, you’ll be looking at every Rubi that you pass.... If you can afford it, get everything you want. Order every option that’s available. Enjoy it.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
But really OP any JL is fantastic. Just take one and go have some fun on and off road. That is what really counts for us with our Jeep. Methinks you will agree provided you get a good perfectly working copy.

5076E624-303F-44E5-B036-D23F658B2220.png
If you zoom in on the tread pattern in the snow - you will notice that the KO2s have a fairly aggressive AT design. So would suspect that tire to ride a little louder and rougher but provide more off-road ability. The Sahara tread is much more street friendly - so you may find a smoother ride in that one. Do make sure both vehicles are running the same recommended air pressures to be consistent.

Either way make sure you get a JL that does not wander or have any steering slop. As well does not have any hint of DW or any other problems. Test drive them thoroughly and make sure you are perfectly happy before handing over your $$$.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
if you want to run trails a Sahara is great out of the box. if you want to do some rock crawling the rubicon is a better bet out of the box. you can mod the heck out of a sport and have a more capable vehicle the both the others. its all in what you want to do, in what time frame and how much you want to spend doing it. for most even a base stock sport would still be the most off road capable vehicle they have ever owned.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
This seems pretty intense. What exactly do you do, and how long does it take?
Test 4x4 Hi & Low Lockers and Swaybar disconnect. Again its just me Retired Navy

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I believe get what you want if you can afford it asking what is better its up to you your wants yoour needs.
I have found that we all love Jeeps but after that its all a matter of want and not always a NEED.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's all subjective in terms of the ride. I couldn't tell much of a difference.
I agree. I added rubicon suspension to my sport. It drives a little different but i wouldn’t say worse.

tires make a much bigger difference.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think when people say 97% of the time you don’t need a Rubicon that is true.

but the thing to keep in mind is it’s not like there are whole trails that you flip the lockers on and others where you don’t need them at all. There are just specific spots on trails where you need them.

I take my Sport on trails where there may be 1-2 spots where i would rather have lockers. Or I’ve gotten winched out a couple of spots i could have gotten through with lockers.
In those spots, the Rubi is objectively better.

it’s not just hardcore trails.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
If you have to ask get the Sahara or Sport S honestly. I guarantee 95% of the Rubicons on the Road are for show. If you aren't crawling the 4:1 T-Case is pointless. The sway bar system sucks ass as well if you get into water much it'll eventually fry and there goes about 7-900 dollars. The only good thing is the Front Dana 44 and Lockers. Which honestly can be added later for cheaper than going to a Rubi and that will give you a badass setup.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I went out maybe 10 times w/ family all of whom had Rubicons and let me tell you it was a night and day difference. My X w/ 3.07 required me to feather the clutch so frequently over obstacles at low speed. I had a few instances where I slipped and it lunged forward at our spotter. For me offloading especially at lower speed and over rocks was challenging in the manual and way more work than it needed to be. There were also several times I could of used lockers to get free but needed to be winched out. When I drove their Rubicons I was shocked, in 4 low they crawled right over obstacles without all the feathering of the clutch I needed to prevent a stall. 15 years later, I bought a Rubicon and couldn't be happier.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
After reading this there’s no reason not to get a Rubicon. If you don’t, you’ll be looking at every Rubi that you pass.... If you can afford it, get everything you want. Order every option that’s available. Enjoy it.
that kind of thinking is why FCA is jacking up the prices of Rubicons. Too many Jeep owners buy what they’ll never use. Lol.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
I think when people say 97% of the time you don’t need a Rubicon that is true.

but the thing to keep in mind is it’s not like there are whole trails that you flip the lockers on and others where you don’t need them at all. There are just specific spots on trails where you need them.

I take my Sport on trails where there may be 1-2 spots where i would rather have lockers. Or I’ve gotten winched out a couple of spots i could have gotten through with lockers.
In those spots, the Rubi is objectively better.

it’s not just hardcore trails.
But in that case just buy lockers for about 1-2 grand instead of paying 15+ grand extra for a Rubi.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
that kind of thinking is why FCA is jacking up the prices of Rubicons. Too many Jeep owners buy what they’ll never use. Lol.
This may come as a shock to you but there are actually people out there who can comfortably afford one and want the best looking and most capable trim. Whether they "need" one is up to them, and they certainly don't have to justify it to people barely squeezing into a Sport. Life's not fair is it?
Sponsored