Sponsored

How much or what level of off-roading does it make sense to go Rubi over Sahara?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
There is alot of personal opinions in this thread, I purchased a Rubicon because thats what I wanted if it never sees mud, sand, Rocks im ok with that BECAUSE ITS MINE. Im not into rocks or mud or even major mods I just like the vehicle but I know what it can do when I need it. And I do a monthly check of all systems.

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Here's my two pennies for what they're worth!

I have an Overland (The UK's version of a Sahara with extras)
It's been having some work done on it and I was given a Rubicon for a few days as a loaner.

I couldn't wait to give it back and get mine again. Honestly didn't drive anywhere near as nicely as the Overland on the road which is where my Jeep will be mainly residing.

I'd buy the same again next time....

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Sahara is very capable my first wrangler was one, I did plenty of easy and intermediate trails totally stock and never had an issue.. I have a rubicon now lifted and with 35” tires, and a few other mods.. the new Jeep is a mi after it goes on hard trails with ease.. the new JL is so luxurious you really don’t give up much luxury in the rubicon.. if you plan to off-road and go on trails with other jeepsers get a rubicon.. it a few times a year and ou want to hit a basic trail and go on a hike with the wife go sahara.. either way you are buying the best vehicle ever made :)

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This guy actually does pretty well, even with what appears to be A-trac and the rear locker.

His spotter and line were the problem....and he made it up the technical part before semi-flopping it. He could probably have driven out of it rather than winching had the spotter told him how to.
With an IFS, your vehicle has no real choice but to lean with the front axle. That same thing is going to happen with every Bronco that tries to run with Wranglers. (I'm still planning to get one, but it is what it is)

OP
OP

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow this thread really blew up. I want to thank everyone for the input they have given, as it has given me a better view and ideas of what each model has to offer. I still haven't decided on which I will pick but will be looking and test driving the Jeeps this Monday to get a much better feel of them.

To add some of the things that came up and were asked, I don't have a budget limit for the vehicle, I can go with either one comfortably. With that being said, I don't see myself doing much in terms of modifications to it. That's just simply a path I don't think I should take, because I can see myself dumping an endless amount of cash if I start doing that :facepalm:.

As I mentioned before, I do a lot of camping and do hit snow sometimes in the mountains, but it has never been anything I couldn't handle with a 4WD vehicle and some chains. And this is on roads that have been paved and plowed in national parks. The one thing (though I am sure there are several) that keeps me thinking on the Rubi is the lockers, even though I do know I could add them to the front of the Sahara as someone mentioned.

But in either case though, whether I get a Sahara or Rubicon, I do plan to get a winch added, which from what I am reading also means replacing the front bumper, which I am okay with. To me that just seems like a very good addition to the vehicle for if it or another vehicle gets stuck. Plus it gives it that very rugged look :like:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
With that being said, I don't see myself doing much in terms of modifications to it. That's just simply a path I don't think I should take, because I can see myself dumping an endless amount of cash if I start doing that :facepalm:.

I do plan to get a winch added, which from what I am reading also means replacing the front bumper, which I am okay with. To me that just seems like a very good addition to the vehicle for if it or another vehicle gets stuck. Plus it gives it that very rugged look :like:
ROTFLMAO... did you read what you just wrote? Dude, you're done for, you're in, Just Empty Every Pocket. :)
Get the Rubi if money is no object, plus if you get the steel bumper package you don't need to get a new bumper for adding a winch, just simply the winch plate.
After the winch you'll realize that you want to sit a little higher so you'll get a lift. Once you taste some rock crawling you'll realize bigger tires will be needed and you might as well get beadlocks and... and... and... ;)

OP
OP

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
ROTFLMAO... did you read what you just wrote? Dude, you're done for, you're in, Just Empty Every Pocket. :)
Get the Rubi if money is no object, plus if you get the steel bumper package you don't need to get a new bumper for adding a winch, just simply the winch plate.
This is why I love this community. I didnt even know that was an option on the Rubicon. It definitely makes me more towards it now. Plus being able to add 35"s without having to lift was very appealing. Yea I'm definitely going to be sinking way deep in this :CWL: Might need a step ladder for the Miss though, she's only 5 feet tall and has short legs :LOL:

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I love this community. I didnt even know that was an option on the Rubicon. It definitely makes me more towards it now. Plus being able to add 35"s without having to lift was very appealing. Yea I'm definitely going to be sinking way deep in this :CWL: Might need a step ladder for the Miss though, she's only 5 feet tall and has short legs :LOL:
LOL, glad I could help. There is a guy on here running 37s on a stock Rubi right now. I'm sure he's rubbing at full articulation but it's crazy that he can even do it. I know a guy running 35s with no lift and he off roads aggressively with no problems.
As far as shorty goes for a mere $1700 you can add rock rails that shoot a step out when the door is open. :)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This is why I love this community. I did'nt even know that was an option on the Rubicon. It definitely makes me more towards it now. Plus being able to add 35"s without having to lift was very appealing. Yea I'm definitely going to be sinking way deep in this :CWL: Might need a step ladder for the Miss though, she's only 5 feet tall and has short legs :LOL:

What gets lost in these chest pumping what is better discussions is no one actually discusses the other 99.9% of the driving you will likely do, meaning the everyday street use, the daily ride may or may not be important, but keep in mind the Rubicon is a stiff ride, another reason we chose the Sahara whereas stock it has the best ride of the bunch but when we added the Rancho lift we installed their shocks that were adjustable so we were able to maintain the great street ride of the Sahara after the lift and 35's.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
No, you keep discussing it...enough for everyone, lol. ;) Which is totally fine, btw...not that you needed my permission. :like:
Dude, I am one of the few actually addressing the OP question unlike you and the others that and only talking in extremes. I was not aware you were the queen of the forum, I guess some cannot understand that the Rubicon has limitations. Like the OP mentioned only plowed snow covered roads where lockers would be unsafe to use making the Rubicon no better then a Sport on snow. Way to many here jump to extremes for such a simple domestic question like the OP asked.

I do agree if money is no issue and the OP does not care about best daily driving comfort or snow covered roads, then by all means Rubicon is a good choice, it also give you bragging rights which seems to be important to many. This is not a dig on Rubicon just a statement of fact based difference.

Paul uk

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Quick question? I have a Sahara with a 2” spacer kit on 35s. In the next week I plan on adding Rubicon springs and shocks to raise the Jeep a little. People on here say the Sahara rides better - is it cos of the springs and shocks - I don’t want to ruin the ride quality?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Quick question? I have a Sahara with a 2” spacer kit on 35s. In the next week I plan on adding Rubicon springs and shocks to raise the Jeep a little. People on here say the Sahara rides better - is it cos of the springs and shocks - I don’t want to ruin the ride quality?
Everything I've done to my Jeep has consistently made it 'ride better' -- in areas that mattered to me, obviously this is just subjective opinion, but 'better' in itself is subjective and people have different priorities. So in terms of subjective opinion, I don't think the stock Sahara or Rubicon for that matter rides that great to begin with. But this is not to say that it's also very easy to make it worse if you don't know what you are doing or haven't done enough research. So it's great that you are asking this question.

Of course, people wouldn't know what constitutes as "better" if they never experienced it. If the only ride you know is the stock ride, of course that is the only benchmark you can base it off of.

As for your question, I don't think adding Rubicon springs and shocks will affect the ride that much, I felt that the Rubicon suspension is just slightly stiffer and more responsive than Sahara, this is actually a good thing if you do any sort of trails.
Sponsored

Last edited: