Sponsored

How much or what level of off-roading does it make sense to go Rubi over Sahara?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t seen anybody add a very small (but feature I like) about the Sahara... the gap behind the back of the rear seat is covered by a nice pad when you lay the seats down. I’ve slept in my JLUS a few times not and that’s a standard feature that comes with the Sahara and not the others that nobody ever talks about. That’s not more important than lockers of the Rubi, obviously, but point being there are some comfort touches the Sahara comes with that the Rubi doesn’t. If it’s a daily driver and you aren’t doing rock crawling, Sahara all day.
Do you mean the flaps that cover the gap/crevice between the rear seats and the cargo area when you lay the seats down? Rubicons with Leather have that

20200119_212029.jpg

You can see the flaps folded up with the seats in this pic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Do you mean the flaps that cover the gap/crevice between the rear seats and the cargo area when you lay the seats down? Rubicons with Leather have that
Yep agree 100%. Our Rubi has that seat-back flap as well.

Here is a Jeep without lockers.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Do you have a photo of what you’re talking about? I can’t recall any difference in the cargo area between the two from our many tests.
maybe it depends on options, but I’ve seen a lot of Rubicons with this gap and all the Saharas I’ve seen are clean with no gap.

2FE18E78-784A-4616-8042-A0895F1C88D1.jpeg

396D132A-7A39-48DB-9BC8-BE0900D36B36.jpeg

Last edited:

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Only Sahara’s or Rubi’s with leather have the back flap, cloth Sahara’s also have the gap.

You’ll also notice that only those with leather seats come with cup holders in the middle armrest, cloth wranglers have the rear cup holders on the floor attached to center console.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Basically thread title. Never own a wrangler before and debating between these models. I'm assuming the Sahara can still do some kind of off-roading but at what point/level does the Rubi make more sense to get over the Sahara?
Does one ask himself, "what level of drag racing do I need to do to justify buying a fast car"?!

No! You buy it because you enjoy that type of vehicle and you want to.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We'll have to disagree that 4:1 is "pointless". Once upon a time, I lived in Oklahoma and wheeling there isn't generally considered "rock crawling"...double tcases and 4+:1 gears in the tcase(s) were nice for the control they offered as well as helped climbing particularly large ledges without stressing the drivetrain.....

Having had 6 or so vehicles with 4:1 or better tcases, I can't imagine owning a 4wd vehicle without it. IMO, it's the best money spent after a rear locker.
Gotta agree 100% with this. 4:1 is probs one of the most key benefits of 4L overlooked by non-Rubi owners. Allows a massive crawl ratio that allows the Rubi to literally walk up most any snow covered roadway or trail with complete ease and comfort. As an example - this vid shows clearly what 4L + FR lockers + sway disconnect is all about in a stock Rubi with stock KO2s. Easy peasy. Really what you see is exactly what any stock Rubi can do in snow. Ours does the exact same. Crazy proficient.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Gotta agree 100% with this. 4:1 is probs one of the most key benefits of 4L overlooked by non-Rubi owners. Allows a massive crawl ratio that allows the Rubi to literally walk up most any snow covered roadway or trail with complete ease and comfort. As an example - this vid shows clearly what 4L + FR lockers + sway disconnect is all about in a stock Rubi with stock KO2s. Easy peasy. Really what you see is exactly what any stock Rubi can do in snow. Ours does the exact same. Crazy proficient.

As a Wrangler owner this video infuriated me. The scale should be 0-Wrangler. They even said "90+ and you can take on the Rubicon trail". That is why its called a Rubicon....which they only gave an 86.6...

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a Wrangler owner this video infuriated me. The scale should be 0-Wrangler. They even said "90+ and you can take on the Rubicon trail". That is why its called a Rubicon....which they only gave an 86.6...
Actually was ok with their rating. Stock UL Rubis need more clearance for a better break-over angle and bigger tires to air down. Without they scrape skid plates like crazy on that trail. So yeah the name can be a bit misleading - but personally can take it or leave it.

More importantly in “normal” on and off-road use like just heading up to the mtn which we do an awful lot off - the Rubi is a complete beast and major overkill. Which we will take any day over any other 4x4. 4H is plenty and no need for 4L let alone lockers. So rating whatever. Am perfectly ok to let that go. Really for us the best convenience option so far is the remote start. We use that every day and with full defrost and heated wheel and heated seats - it is by far the most used and appreciated.

Just like today - cleared off the snow - took off our boots - hopped in - and took off. No scraping - no waiting to defog - no nothing. Which equals a near perfect Jeep. NB. Did have to previously properly plug up the BS center vents tho. Which took all of 15mins. Haha! Major fun 4x4 for the snow and mtns. This was 2H and traction was fine. No slippage with the stock KO2s.

87923A23-0AF3-43C4-A8DB-6CF6D2972E0B.png

Last edited:

KinderMojo

First Name
Adel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl Sport S. GMC Sierra, Mercedes G63
Occupation
Engineer
This is my first wrangler and didnt know much about the differences or how much i would like it.. So i went with the sport S since i would be changing alot.. If i knew how much i would love it, i wouldve gone with the rubicon..

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my first wrangler and didnt know much about the differences or how much i would like it.. So i went with the sport S since i would be changing alot.. If i knew how much i would love it, i wouldve gone with the rubicon..
You should be fine. In most cases on-road any JL with proper tires can pretty much go easily in snow or wherever. Only in more extreme situations do you need what the Rubicon comes with. But appreciate your honesty. A few others have also made that statement.

We looked at a Sport S manual on CL just before we found our Rubicon. And with its lift and bigger KO2s it was a decent unit. We concluded after that for our uses the 8-speed and off-road capability was a better fit is all. Anyways have fun with your Jeep.

Interestingly the guy selling it admitted he was planning to trade it in to his dealer friend the next week - for a Rubicon.
Sponsored

Last edited: