Sponsored

How much or what level of off-roading does it make sense to go Rubi over Sahara?

Sine Language

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Basically thread title. Never own a wrangler before and debating between these models. I'm assuming the Sahara can still do some kind of off-roading but at what point/level does the Rubi make more sense to get over the Sahara?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Basically thread title. Never own a wrangler before and debating between these models. I'm assuming the Sahara can still do some kind of off-roading but at what point/level does the Rubi make more sense to get over the Sahara?
Firstly make sure you know what you are getting into with a JL. Lots of things about them are different from other vehicles that you may or may not have issues with.

With that said all the JL's are very capable and any of them can and do well off road. The Rubi comes with more standard equipment for off road work like lockers, taller tires, and better gear ratios for crawling and such.

The Sahara is probably the best equipped to feel like another nicely appointed SUV.

You can't go wrong with any of them as long as my first point you pay attention to and know what you are getting into.

Old Jedi

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired, USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I recently ordered mine, and it is on the rails--expecting by 25th! Debated the same choices you are for weeks. I went with the Sahara for one main reason: I wanted the Selec-Trac, which is full-time 4H Auto. Eliminates the need to anticipate when tires will slip and engage 4H manually. You can drive full time in 4H Auto, which is 2H mostly, but it will engage the 4H when slipping is sensed. Also got the LSD in the rear. Comes with an AT tire upgrade. Selet-Trac may or may not be better in snow, oily pavement, and/or heavy rains--but that was my thinking for my purchase.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I look at it a little different. If you’re wanting to lift it and wheel it, the rubicon is the best choice. If you’re happy with stock height or maybe going up a tire size and like all the creature comforts of a nice suv, the sahara is excellent for that.

We’ve had customers that want their sahara lifted and only went sahara because they didn’t want the red dash. That works too. The rubicon is just a better platform to start with for folks that have some pretty serious wheeling in mind.

Brett

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I recently ordered mine, and it is on the rails--expecting by 25th! Debated the same choices you are for weeks. I went with the Sahara for one main reason: I wanted the Selec-Trac, which is full-time 4H Auto. Eliminates the need to anticipate when tires will slip and engage 4H manually. You can drive full time in 4H Auto, which is 2H mostly, but it will engage the 4H when slipping is sensed. Also got the LSD in the rear. Comes with an AT tire upgrade. Selet-Trac may or may not be better in snow, oily pavement, and/or heavy rains--but that was my thinking for my purchase.
You are in Tuscon, and OP in California. The only place I would really say you really want Select-Trac is in the permanent snow belt.

S/T is great in those areas with a lot of snow.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I look at it a little different. If you’re wanting to lift it and wheel it, the rubicon is the best choice. If you’re happy with stock height or maybe going up a tire size and like all the creature comforts of a nice suv, the sahara is excellent for that.

We’ve had customers that want their sahara lifted and only went sahara because they didn’t want the red dash. That works too. The rubicon is just a better platform to start with for folks that have some pretty serious wheeling in mind.

Brett
Or swap the dash panels in the Rubi.... ;)

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I'm assuming the Sahara can still do some kind of off-roading but at what point/level does the Rubi make more sense to get over the Sahara?
We wanted the most stock off-road capable Jeep and the Rubi was it. As well we go up to the mountains all throughout the winter - so max snow traction was paramount. If these are not important criteria for you plus you never will rock crawl - then get a Sahara. Also note that Rubis come standard with rock rails and not running boards. Our Rubi always gets covered in mud off-road.

Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
You may not like this response, but one of my top 5 driving experiences ever was in a base Sport rental last year, in the North Carolina high country.

It was like driving a cross between a motorcycle and a sports car with the 4 cylinder turbo motor and no doors or hardtop.

But, later that month, after that pure week of joy, I ordered a 6 cylinder 2020 Rubicon from Criswell because the 4 cylinder Sport just didn't feel like a "Jeep".

Our Rubicon gets less than 1,000 miles a month drive-time, at 16 mpg and 4:10 gears, but it looks so cool, opposed to an everyday driver-Sport.

As for the Sahara, it's a "City" Jeep that does something like 90% what a Rubicon can do off road, which may be more than most of us will ever encounter?

So, how and where will you be driving it?

If I needed an everyday driver, I would definitely get the turbo Sport and I would save the $20,000 for something else.

Maybe it comes down to:

Do you want to own a $30,000+ Jeep, or will the $60,000 Jeep own you?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
If your off roading is going to result in a tire hanging in air, get rubi.
Lots of highway snow driving . Get Sahara.
This.

I wanted a Rubicon. I _WANTED_ a Rubicon. I still want a Rubicon. But I ended up with a Sahara, and I am very, very happy with it. I'm unhappy that it's not a Rubicon (LOL), but I still love the Jeep, so, SO much.

When I did the research (and BOOOYYYY did I research) I learned that the majority of people who own Rubicons don't use the lockers and/or sway bar disconnects on a regular basis (or at all), and where I live (winter for almost half the year) and the fact that this vehicle would be my daily driver, the Sahara's Selec-Trac just made sense.

If your off-roading never involves serious rock crawling or the need for "big flex" (ie. one wheel high off the ground), a Rubicon is more than what you need in a Jeep. The Sahara can do ALMOST everything a Rubicon can do... There's a good bit it can't do, but again that's only if you're into serious off-roading and rock crawling. The Sahara, for the average person, is enough.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
This.

I wanted a Rubicon. I _WANTED_ a Rubicon. I still want a Rubicon. But I ended up with a Sahara, and I am very, very happy with it. I'm unhappy that it's not a Rubicon (LOL), but I still love the Jeep, so, SO much.

When I did the research (and BOOOYYYY did I research) I learned that the majority of people who own Rubicons don't use the lockers and/or sway bar disconnects on a regular basis (or at all), and where I live (winter for almost half the year) and the fact that this vehicle would be my daily driver, the Sahara's Selec-Trac just made sense.

If your off-roading never involves serious rock crawling or the need for "big flex" (ie. one wheel high off the ground), a Rubicon is more than what you need in a Jeep. The Sahara can do ALMOST everything a Rubicon can do... There's a good bit it can't do, but again that's only if you're into serious off-roading and rock crawling. The Sahara, for the average person, is enough.
they both have their place for sure, for me mud is part of job. Lockers are a must.

20191227_104807.jpg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
97% of people who purchase a Wrangler won’t even get close to driving to the limits of a stock Sport, let alone a Rubicon. Save your money unless you plan on being in that 3%. Or if you’ve got the means and want it, buy exactly what you want. Rubicon, Sahara, or Sport.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
they both have their place for sure, for me mud is part of job. Lockers are a must.

20191227_104807.jpg
First of all that picture scares me. Second of all I wouldn’t want a Rubicon in that stuff. Too much gear in low to clean those tires out. Lol
Sponsored