Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In a forum for the other vehicle I own a new member asked for help. He said he added wiper fliud and decided to check the oil dipstick. It was at the bottom of the stick so he changed the oil and added 5 quarts like it says in the owner's manual. He then started the car and white smoke billowed out and it ran rough. He turned off and waited a bit. Started up and did same thing. He called a tow truck and it ran about 2 minutes getting onto the truck, same condition. When pressed he said he didn't get underneath, pull the plug and drain the oil - he just added the 5 quarts in. Think he should of stopped at 4.5 quarts?:idea:
Sponsored

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I would venture to guess it probably said 5 quarts WITH a filter change. Filters can retain different amounts of fluid depending on their size.

OP
OP
nerubi

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Manual does say 5 quarts but the problem here is he didn't remove the existing oil, he just poured 5 quarts of new oil in on top of the existing oil.

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Got it!! They probably shouldn't dig too much into DIY projects then. :facepalm:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Manual does say 5 quarts but the problem here is he didn't remove the existing oil, he just poured 5 quarts of new oil in on top of the existing oil.
The manual does say the Jeep is intended for off-road use. But it doesn't say you can drive it off the road over a cliff. I hope this guy gets additional information before driving off-road.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I did this once. Forgot I hadn’t drained before adding new oil. I caught it when I checked the dipstick before starting or running my car. I didn’t start or run it like that. But it was a pain draining 10 quarts and having to pay for another 5.

Never do mechanical work on your vehicle if your mind is elsewhere.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I did this once. Forgot I hadn’t drained before adding new oil. I caught it when I checked the dipstick before starting or running my car. I didn’t start or run it like that. But it was a pain draining 10 quarts and having to pay for another 5.

Never do mechanical work on your vehicle if your mind is elsewhere.
I remember when my brother and I did our first oil change for my father's car in 1968. It was a 62 Buick Skylark 215 ci aluminum block. We drained the oil, then filled it, or so we thought. 5 quarts of fresh oil on the driveway... :LOL: I was 12 years old. I can say with complete honesty, I haven't made that mistake again.
Sponsored