Sponsored

How much money have you wasted so far?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Biggest waste (and the only JL one I regret) was my aftermarket LED headlights. The cutoff isn't defined at all, if I were to shine against a garage door it would look like a cloud against the door :(

Hoping to get a projector type next time around that actually has good cutoff and a nice wide output. My current lights aren't suitable for safe night driving and even the DRLs are dim :(

100_4034.JPG
Sponsored

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, but I did waste a little waiting for a proper lift. I installed a 1.5" lift and replaced it with a 3.5" 6mo later 2 door support is so far behind
I have the same problem with my 2 door, im doing alot of wrenching and oopsies to get mine where i want it.

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Wasted?? You mean like buying things for the Jeep that you ended up not putting on the Jeep or using? I'd say maybe $50. Anything I have purchased for the Jeep that is on it is not wasted money at all!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like im compelled to respond to this thread. Does 5 lift kits count?
Wow, 5 for the same Jeep?

The JLUR is my first Jeep and the first vehicle I've ever lifted. It has also spawned a newfound interest in exploring harder terrain than the typical 4x4 pickup could handle. Plus it's my daily, so trying to keep that happy balance.

My original thought was to not go beyond 35's, so I chose the Dynatrac true 2" lift to avoid netting 3ish and having more wheel well gap than needed. I also liked that they use Fox shocks tuned to their springs. Being a starter kit, I supplemented it with the full Yeti front end with relocated Fox stabilizer, Yeti front track bar, Yeti front sway links, Synergy front track bar bracket, all 8 Synergy control arms, and Synergy rear track bar. Its performed great both on and off road and feels overall tighter and more planted than it did stock, but now I'm wanting more to be able to do more.

I've been sitting on a set of front fender brackets with LEDs, fender liners, and reinforcement hardware from AAL and am about to pull the trigger on a set of 38" Pat's and a set of rear liners so the chop can happen on all 4 corners. That combo should help with clearance, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the next move will be more lift. I'm narrowed down to metalcloak, but still undecided on if 2.5" will be enough or just go to 3.5" and rocksport or 6-pack. I wouldn't need their full kit because I feel that I already went with quality arms and linkages that can be adjusted for increased height. A simple shock, spring, and sway link switch should do the trick.

I'll sell the 315 ko2's w/ about 10k miles, factory led fender lights, and the Dynatrac lift at about 50 cents on the dollar, so it'll at least put a decent dent in the new parts while also helping the next person. I'll have to wait until I decide on height and shocks and what the lightly used parts bring in before tallying up the cost of being new to Jeeps and off roading. It definitely been a fun ride, so "no ragrets". Lol

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

The JLUR is my first Jeep and the first vehicle I've ever lifted. It has also spawned a newfound interest in exploring harder terrain than the typical 4x4 pickup could handle. Plus it's my daily, so trying to keep that happy balance.

My original thought was to not go beyond 35's, so I chose the Dynatrac true 2" lift to avoid netting 3ish and having more wheel well gap than needed. I also liked that they use Fox shocks tuned to their springs. Being a starter kit, I supplemented it with the full Yeti front end with relocated Fox stabilizer, Yeti front track bar, Yeti front sway links, Synergy front track bar bracket, all 8 Synergy control arms, and Synergy rear track bar. Its performed great both on and off road and feels overall tighter and more planted than it did stock, but now I'm wanting more to be able to do more.

I've been sitting on a set of front fender brackets with LEDs, fender liners, and reinforcement hardware from AAL and am about to pull the trigger on a set of 38" Pat's and a set of rear liners so the chop can happen on all 4 corners. That combo should help with clearance, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the next move will be more lift. I'm narrowed down to metalcloak, but still undecided on if 2.5" will be enough or just go to 3.5" and rocksport or 6-pack. I wouldn't need their full kit because I feel that I already went with quality arms and linkages that can be adjusted for increased height. A simple shock, spring, and sway link switch should do the trick.

I'll sell the 315 ko2's w/ about 10k miles, factory led fender lights, and the Dynatrac lift at about 50 cents on the dollar, so it'll at least put a decent dent in the new parts while also helping the next person. I'll have to wait until I decide on height and shocks and what the lightly used parts bring in before tallying up the cost of being new to Jeeps and off roading. It definitely been a fun ride, so "no ragrets". Lol
Haha yeah thats what happens, the jeep black hole sucks you in! Honestly I love the synergy arms. I have metalcloak arms my cousin has synergy. Granted mine flex better, but his are so damn easy to adjust. Youll be fine sticking with those.
As for me ive gone from spacers, to rk 2.5, to mc 2.5 to accutune tuned lift, and now coilovers haha at first I was in the same boat and had the same plan as you. Its turned into much much more lol, and still not done! Lots of fun though

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I wasted my. Money by getting an S instead of a Rubicon. Lesson learned
This.
Other than that I haven't "wasted" a dime since it's all been a learning experience.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar trailer harness quit working the 3rd time i used it Curt aftermarket is cheaper and easier to install to boot
AEV procal snap worked intermittently now not at all now using Jscan also cheaper and more useful
1 extra set of front coils to dial in the height I wanted

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
To add to this list, for me the Proclips phone mount, every time I hit a bump my iphone would slip right out of the bottom of the holder and onto the floor. I replaced it with a 67 Deigns mount which has been awesome. I know others have been happy with the Proclips, maybe they have better roads.
I have one of the proclips that has a place for a charging cable. The fact that my phone is plugged in (and sideways) has prevented me from having any issues. I did have to modify it when I switched phones (to make the new charging cable fit), but that was with just a screwdriver and a file.

They sell ones that come with charging cables:
USB-C: https://www.proclipusa.com/category/adjustable-charging-holders-with-usb-c
Micro-USB: https://www.proclipusa.com/category/adjustable-charging-holders-with-micro-usb

They are adjustable so figure out what your phone + case width is and get the one that fits it.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Somehow didn't see that you now have the 67 Designs mount. Glad you like it! I did consider that one but two of my brothers have proclips so I went that direction.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
35s were a waste of money. I put a 2 inch lift that was more like 4+ inches and the 35s looked puny. I went 37s and the 35s will go up for sale.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon

I'm interested in buying your Dynatrac lift, when you're ready to sell it.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a winch without realizing that it wouldn't lift the top enough with an 8 foot garage ceiling. Then got it right with the Top Lift Pro.
Bought 2 different door storage units without realizing my doors wouldn't fit in the garage at the same time as the Jeep which would mean having to reinstall the doors every night. Got it right with a narrow cart and can store the doors behind the Jeep and just make it closing the garage door. Probably a good 500 bucks wasted

Carlwell

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Cannot say I have really wasted money! Apart from some tires I never used and ended up selling the rest of the accessories are always in use for my Wrangler! I'm pretty sure though that's most of us in here would love to see our Wranglers upgraded and much shinier and fancier than know! Unfortunately it costs a lot of money and honestly most of the time you think about how much of it is worth it really. Despite this fact though I still like to make it look better and better that's why I decided to take on side hustles thanks to these guys' advice I started my own blog describing my experience is it with my Wrangler out in the woods and any other place we go!
Sponsored

Last edited: