Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I have an area above my garage door where I want to mount the hoist etc for my hard top to store it during the summer, and I have enough height (about 38") for my plan, but there is a beam that makes the length the potentially limiting factor... I have just under 76" of clearance between the drywall of the support beam and the wall, would that be enough that I can tuck the hard top (JLU) in there? (Also have to consider the extra length for anything like the wiper etc that sticks out.)
Jeep Wrangler JL How much length does the hardtop need? Hard Top Storage Area

In case it matters, I have a bunch of 1.5" 8020 extrusion that I am going to make a bracket to work with the topsy kit I ordered, and use pulleys to hoist it with a hand-crank hoist on the wall.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I have an area above my garage door where I want to mount the hoist etc for my hard top to store it during the summer, and I have enough height (about 38") for my plan, but there is a beam that makes the length the potentially limiting factor... I have just under 76" of clearance between the drywall of the support beam and the wall, would that be enough that I can tuck the hard top (JLU) in there? (Also have to consider the extra length for anything like the wiper etc that sticks out.)
Jeep Wrangler JL How much length does the hardtop need? Hard Top Storage Area

In case it matters, I have a bunch of 1.5" 8020 extrusion that I am going to make a bracket to work with the topsy kit I ordered, and use pulleys to hoist it with a hand-crank hoist on the wall.
Make sure you take into account that you will need to be pulled in and have the door closed, so you also have to clear the spare tire.

If you have to, you can let the top swing back towards the door once it's lifted. I can measure when I get home, but you can just take a tape measure to it.

OP
OP
driventoadventure

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Make sure you take into account that you will need to be pulled in and have the door closed, so you also have to clear the spare tire.

If you have to, you can let the top swing back towards the door once it's lifted. I can measure when I get home, but you can just take a tape measure to it.
Thanks for the help, That is the exact plan that I will just move it back on the cable suspension once it is off (and again once it is above the spring).

I tired measuring it, but find it difficult to get a good answer, maybe I just suck at measuring, but I get between 76 (might fit might not) and 80", depending on how much extra I assume for the rear wiper etc... (Yes, measuring with the 'freedom' panels off to get the mounting tabs on the front.)

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Sounds like it is going to be a tight fit. You stated you had under 76" and measured between 76-80". Up to you if you wanna try it. May consider having it at 2 diff heights on the ceiling and on the support beam? If that allows enough room to pull in all the way at least still.

OP
OP
driventoadventure

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Sounds like it is going to be a tight fit. You stated you had under 76" and measured between 76-80". Up to you if you wanna try it. May consider having it at 2 diff heights on the ceiling and on the support beam? If that allows enough room to pull in all the way at least still.
Yeah, That's part of why I asked to see if others who have done it can give me a better measurement, if it really is that tight, I just might do it the other side of that beam - I just would prefer to do something else on that side since it is my tandem bay.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Damn, hard to do better than that with my hard top on right now.
I had a similiar issue from not planning ahead. The rack is 4x4, there is 17” to the angle supporting the opener. Topsy brackets.

DD030817-0C17-4F43-90E3-E8AC069EB4C3.jpeg

Hohnan

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW

Not positive if this is what you are looking for in measurements but I found this in here somewhere -
Jeep Wrangler JL How much length does the hardtop need? 95D19C82-7E71-4D24-8998-4021EAA8C021
Sponsored