Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hi All, I recently finished putting together a new video project. In this video, I'm going to compare two different Jeep builds as they run the iconic Rubicon Trail. I'll show you the capabilities that are possible with two very different builds in the hopes that it will better inform those looking to modify and improve their Jeep(s) performance. We will also covers topics on trail gear, Jeep storage and armor needs.

This was a huge eye opener for me. Grab a beverage, it's in-depth. I hope you enjoy it✌🏻

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Sponsored

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
For those who didn't watch the video yet. It is a comparison between two big builds. 39s and 40s. Target audience is for those considering going up to 40s and budgeting.

I think the definition of "daily driving" can be vastly different for different people. You are comparing a Jeep on 39s vs a Jeep on 40s. He might be running stock axles and an affordable suspension, but those are pretty huge tires for most people and I doubt a majority of people would consider this "daily driver".

I like the point made about the axles. The bigger tires made the Jeep more capable, and with a careful driver the axles can handle it. I'd think this message also applies for sport owners who want to go to 35s. In this case this would almost equate to 37s. I know a few of those people. Your axles surviving have more to do with what kind of driver you are than anything else. I can relate to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
For those who didn't watch the video yet. It is a comparison between two large builds. 39s and 40s. Target audience is for those considering going up to 40s and budgeting.

I think the definition of "daily driving" can be vastly different for different people. You are comparing a Jeep on 39s vs a Jeep on 40s. He might be running stock axles and an affordable suspension, but those are pretty huge tires for most people and I doubt a majority of people would consider this "daily driver".

I like the point made about the axles. The bigger tires made the Jeep more capable, and with a careful driver the axles can handle it. I'd think this message also applies for sport owners who want to go to 35s. In this case this would almost equate to 37s. I know a few of those people. Your axles surviving have more to do with what kind of driver you are than anything else. I can relate to that.
Good point, as most all the Jeeps in this group were 'big' builds and owned by veery seasoned wheelers. As I mentioned, I was not there with my personal Jeep (my daily driver on 37's). I did run the entire trail in the 2019 JL/lead Jeep which drove from St. George to Georgetown to start the trail and then back to St. George.

The entire time I'm thinking to myself, wondering how my Jeep would have performed on 37's/3.5" lift. No one in this group was on 37's. Obviously, giving up that ~ 1" of ground clearance would have me hanging up more than the others but I suspect I could have done most of the trail well. The two toughest sections being 'Little Sluice' , very tricky picking a clean line through it and of course 'Soup Bowl'.

What really stood out and became the basis for this video was the capability of the stock Rubicon axles and E-Lockers.

-Steven

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Good point, as most all the Jeeps in this group were 'big' builds and owned by veery seasoned wheelers. As I mentioned, I was not there with my personal Jeep (my daily driver on 37's). I did run the entire trail in the 2019 JL/lead Jeep which drove from St. George to Georgetown to start the trail and then back to St. George.

The entire time I'm thinking to myself, wondering how my Jeep would have performed on 37's/3.5" lift. No one in this group was on 37's. Obviously, giving up that ~ 1" of ground clearance would have me hanging up more than the others but I suspect I could have done most of the trail well. The two toughest sections being 'Little Sluice' , very tricky picking a clean line through it and of course 'Soup Bowl'.

What really stood out and became the basis for this video was the capability of the stock Rubicon axles and E-Lockers.

-Steven
The 4.10 gears too. I assume he still has his sport transfer case.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Definitely impressed with the 39s on stock rubi axles, but did he indicate at all that he feels they might be ticking time bombs? I have an XR on order with the slightly stronger Dana 44s, and only plan on doing 38s. Any plans for him to continue upgrading?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Definitely impressed with the 39s on stock rubi axles, but did he indicate at all that he feels they might be ticking time bombs? I have an XR on order with the slightly stronger Dana 44s, and only plan on doing 38s. Any plans for him to continue upgrading?
Yeah fatigue could be the silent killer. Everything is good for the stock axles, but for how long?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hey Kevin! I did ask that direct question, what about fatigue. His reply, the new axles are stronger than you think. He also subscribes to "it's not broke, don't fix it" philosophy. That's an easier philosophy to live by when you work at one of the premier Jeep builders in the country right?

Now, we've probably all seen people bust axles, axle shafts, etc.. The year before last at EJS when Dixie still had their shop in Moab I even saw a rear axle tube that spun where it goes into the diff...did not even know that was possible. I think a great deal of the durability comes down to the driver. As I mentioned, Brad drives by feel, uses a lot o brake pedal etc, resulting in less outright hammering on the Jeep. I've seen him do some great driving and it has taught me a lot. The very first time I rode with him, Dixie had just put the new Rubi axles in his Jeep. However, it took some thinking figure out how to get the Sport to recognise the new E-Lockers. This was something that they figured out later. Brad drove Escalator on Hell's Revenge with no lockers. It wasn't until we go to the top that he turned to me and said, "well, now we know you don't really need lockers for that.

-Steven

Last edited:

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Great video Steve.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
For those who didn't watch the video yet. It is a comparison between two big builds. 39s and 40s. Target audience is for those considering going up to 40s and budgeting.

100%

Lots of skinny pedal = high risk of breakage, even if you have a 60. Even higher chance if you're running a heavy Jeep. Upgrading to a 60 will not stop you from breaking things if you're careless. It'll certainly help though.

I'm pretty confident in my driving and don't use the skinny pedal too hard... wouldn't hesitate to run a 39" KM3 on stock axles. Once we start moving into stickies and heavier options, I think I'd want a heavier duty setup, or at least upgraded the stock one pretty heavily.

I would never daily drive anything on 40's. Maybe 39" K02 on a diesel.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
100%

Lots of skinny pedal = high risk of breakage, even if you have a 60. Even higher chance if you're running a heavy Jeep. Upgrading to a 60 will not stop you from breaking things if you're careless. It'll certainly help though.

I'm pretty confident in my driving and don't use the skinny pedal too hard... wouldn't hesitate to run a 39" KM3 on stock axles. Once we start moving into stickies and heavier options, I think I'd want a heavier duty setup, or at least upgraded the stock one pretty heavily.

I would never daily drive anything on 40's. Maybe 39" K02 on a diesel.
Well said!

I think for most of us who use our Jeeps as daily drivers, we're looking for hitting the sweet spot of performance and capability. For me, that's staying the 37"-38" tire size with a regear to get the performance back.

If I remember correctly, all but 3 of the Jeeps in the video were trailered in. That's not where I'm at for sure. The point I was trying to demonstrate with the video was there is an 'ever mans/budget build' Jeep build that can provide amazing capabilities.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to switch to 38's when my 37's wear out. With 4.88's/37's the performance is near stock.

-Steven

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

40’s are sweet! Probably too big for me and my two door. Once you get into that territory I think it makes sense to trim the body and stretch the wheelbase a tad, but I don’t have any first hand experience in that area so maybe not.

Also, my brain tells me tires of that size are when you start to consider trailering to/from the trailhead. To me, that defeats my purpose of having a Jeep. I like being able to have one vehicle that’s as at home in the city as it is in the rocks. Is it perfect in either? No, but that’s part of the fun!

My end goal is 37’s as I feel this when things start to go out of balance between off-road and on-road drivability; however, I’ve never been known for leaving my vehicles alone more than a couple months, so maybe 40’s someday! 🤣
Sponsored