How much is this gonna cost me?

erandrus

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So, I have had the winch on my Jeep for a few months, but I wanted to put a switch or an option to not have it get permanent power, so it hasn’t been wired. I was going to put in a cutoff switch, but never got around to it. I finally went to do it today and I foolishly wired both the positive and negative cables to it and my battery. Long story short, I turned it on and now my Jeep has no power. It had power for a while, but I played with it so long and gave the batteries enough juice to start it. When I did, the wipers turned on and all the relays started clicking in the fuse box and then it died. Now it has no power at all... Could I be lucky and it just needs new batteries or does it need new computers and more?
Sponsored

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Could be as simple as some blown fuses, bad battery. Could be as complicated as FUBAR.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Disconnect the winch cables and check battery voltage and go from there

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Good luck, hoping it's just fuses!!!.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
As Steve said above: 1.) disconnect the winch
2.) Make sure both batteries are fully charged and test good
3.) Reset modules by disconnecting batteries and then reconnect
3.) Check all fuses

I do not know what the cost of repair will be since I do not know what failed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

erandrus

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the replies. The winch is out of the system. I looked, but I cannot find any fuses that have blown. I have tested the batteries and got 5.2 for the aux and 10.5 for the main. Gonna go from there.
Thanks again!

OP
OP

erandrus

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I’ve checked my fusebar, but I can’t see any charring or obvious signs that a fuse is blown. How would I know for sure?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Do a google search for checking the high current fuse bar. The fuse bar may not show obvious signs of damage but still could be bad. I would also isolate the batteries and charge them up to full voltage then hook them back up before proceeding.

Sponsored

OP
OP

erandrus

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the help. It took a few days, but I finally got a new fusebar. I couldn’t figure out how to check resistance on it, but it did rattle and the plastic rivets were broken on spot 3. I also made sure the batteries were fully charged and then put it all together. It took a few minutes to clear all the codes, but it’s running great again.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That high voltage fuse bar did its job !
Great to hear your problem is fixed. Next issue is to find out what went wrong when hooking the winch into the system but DON'T hook it back up until you know the issue for sure

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Great to hear your problem is fixed. Next issue is to find out what went wrong when hooking the winch into the system but DON'T hook it back up until you know the issue for sure
the issue was he directly connected the positive and negative on a high amp wire.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and I both understand one big red wire Positive, one big black wire Negative, when both end up on Positive bad things happen
Sponsored