Sponsored

How much does it cost to special order?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
Went to the dealer to trade my 2020 Sport S for a 2021 Rubicon. I would like the 8.4” screen to use when off-roading and the alpine audio, but no Jeeps anywhere near me match that. The Jeep build website says I can get exactly what I want for $46,300. The dealer said that for custom orders, to add 10% to cover taxes, fees, registration, etc. I was wondering if that number was correct? Because I’m about to purchase a Rubicon with no extra packages for $50,000, whereas special ordering one at $46,000 would put it at $51,000 with packages I want. Seems like the number I was given was wrong, so I was wondering what people are actually paying for the Jeeps they build online compared to the price Jeep shows on the website.

Also, is it true that they aren’t even going to start producing them for a while and that they’ll take a really long time to ship? The one I’m purchasing is still 2 weeks away from the dealership, so I figure if I only have to wait 3-4 weeks to special order it may be worth it. But I’ve read that plants have shut down so production basically stopped and backed up.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

This thread has a good guide as to what to expect from the process: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/unread

The 10% quoted is probably accurate. Depending on where you live, you'll have sales tax, various registration fees, etc. You'd have those same fees on any model you purchase, whether it's off the lot or a special order.

There are definitely delays right now - all manufacturers are feeling them due to COVID and a number of supplier shortages. Also, keep in mind that orders for the 2022 MY will likely (not confirmed, but based on history) open in the next ~2 months, so they're likely going to start closing off 2021 MY right about now anyways.

The 2022 will likely get a small price bump, but otherwise, honestly, if you're rolling in a 2020, I'd hang tight until the 2022 order sheets go up, personally.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
Went to the dealer to trade my 2020 Sport S for a 2021 Rubicon. I would like the 8.4” screen to use when off-roading and the alpine audio, but no Jeeps anywhere near me match that. The Jeep build website says I can get exactly what I want for $46,300. The dealer said that for custom orders, to add 10% to cover taxes, fees, registration, etc. I was wondering if that number was correct? Because I’m about to purchase a Rubicon with no extra packages for $50,000, whereas special ordering one at $46,000 would put it at $51,000 with packages I want. Seems like the number I was given was wrong, so I was wondering what people are actually paying for the Jeeps they build online compared to the price Jeep shows on the website.

Also, is it true that they aren’t even going to start producing them for a while and that they’ll take a really long time to ship? The one I’m purchasing is still 2 weeks away from the dealership, so I figure if I only have to wait 3-4 weeks to special order it may be worth it. But I’ve read that plants have shut down so production basically stopped and backed up.
I just ordered one yesterday. No extra cost for a special order. Negotiate the price then normal taxes, fees and tags just like if you bought off of the lot. There is build/shipping thread, some are now delivered in less than 3 weeks others months, depends.

Sponsored

Jorginho 113

First Name
Jorginho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 6-Speed

I ordered mine from Rob Trachtman in Irvine, CA (tuttleclick) is a nice guy and definitely the real deal.

I got Invoice pricing minus 4% for my Rubicon. Give him a text - and see what he can do for you. Def best deal in CA from Rob

Rob Trachtman
(954) 864-5162
[email protected]

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Price depends on the dealer and delivery date on way too many variables you can’t track.

It sounds like your dealer is quoting MSRP and giving you an easy estimate of taxes, titling, and other fees. There are plenty of other dealers that will give you an order sheet for less than that. Invoice should be an easy match, and potentially below invoice if you’re willing to travel. However, COVID has shrunk supply so a good deal may be harder to find.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I see you are in San Diego; you may want to give Poway CJDR a try. I ordered my JL from them, and got it for well under MSRP. They are a smallish dealer, but my experiences there in both sales and service have been great so far.

Regardless of custom order or not, you will be paying the ancillary fees. When you custom order, you can specify no dealer add-ons (you know - things like security trackers and paint sealers) that can be a rude last-minute surprise.

Also, I suggest you rely on the Order Guides (available here on the Forum) rather than the Jeep website for specing out your order. You can take the order guide with you to the dealer with your desired items highlighted, and you are ready to negotiate and order.

Remember, if you custom order, you get what you want without compromise!

Snazzberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for '21 JLUR, 1974 Vette
I ordered mine from Rob Trachtman in Irvine, CA (tuttleclick) is a nice guy and definitely the real deal.

I got Invoice pricing minus 4% for my Rubicon. Give him a text - and see what he can do for you. Def best deal in CA from Rob

Rob Trachtman
(954) 864-5162
[email protected]
I also ordered from Rob Trachtman and second this recommendation. At 4% under invoice all the taxes (8.75% in my area), registration, fees, etc... added up to about 10% over the 4% below invoice price. Overall, I ended up paying out the door a little less than the MSRP listed on the website for my specific build. With Rob there are no upsells or surprises. He lays everything out for you so when your Jeep comes you know exactly what you're gonna pay.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Just to answer your question directly, it costs $0 to special order. It is also not a lot of work for the dealership.

Some dealers don't like special ordering because they'd rather sell you the car on the lot right in front of you today. On the flip side, an hour or two of reading on here will find you a dozen dealers who will special order you exactly what you want and charge you LESS for it than a Jeep on the lot.

Don't fall for the dealer mind games.

Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Find a better dealer. I special ordered my JLUR and only had to pay a $1k delivery fee.

I got it for 6% under invoice

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Jeep website said $35,200, I got for $33,800. There was a $1500 “DFRT: Manufacture Destination Charge” Included in that price. Then when I went to register my taxes were $3400. So alltogether about $37k. So end of the day, with all fees paid, $2k more than Jeep website.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if Hawkcdjr in Forest Park, IL is still doing great deals like I've read about here?
I emailed Jason yesterday since he is highly regarded in this forum. I assume he probably doesn't work on Sundays.
Thanks in advance.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I got 7% under sticker price for my JLR 3.6 manual.

I ordered it on 3/17.
I am currently done with initial build and awaiting inspection (have been for 13 days).
The next stage is install additional equipment, which could take up to 14 days.
Shipping could take up to 14 days.

Almost two months waiting, and it could still be another month.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I’m with @rcadden here. Hold off a little bit and order a ‘22 if you’re able to wait.
Sponsored