Sponsored

How much did your replacement windshield cost?

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just cracked my windshield. Quote is $1,186 because of the adaptive cruise/collision warning. JLs that don't have the Advanced Safety package are only $369. Does the $1,186 sound about right or do I need to keep shopping? If you have replaced yours with the Advanced Safety, how much did it cost you?

Windshield replacement for JLs without Advanced Safety package (adaptive cruise/collision warning):
Jeep Wrangler JL How much did your replacement windshield cost? 1660688674013

Windshield replacement for JLs with Advanced Safety package:
Jeep Wrangler JL How much did your replacement windshield cost? 1660662726908
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have wondered about this- with the jeep having a windshield that folds down would recalibration even matter? the jeep comes with a cover that goes over the sensor space when the windshield goes down so it just seems like someone is trying to make a little money since recalibration wouldnt seem to matter if the glass is not fixed in front of the sensor.

On my wife's mercedes we were not charged the recalibration fee when we had the windshield changed and were told that they did not believe it necessary and would not do it. Find yourself one of those places...

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have wondered about this- with the jeep having a windshield that folds down would recalibration even matter? the jeep comes with a cover that goes over the sensor space when the windshield goes down so it just seems like someone is trying to make a little money since recalibration wouldnt seem to matter if the glass is not fixed in front of the sensor.

On my wife's mercedes we were not charged the recalibration fee when we had the windshield changed and were told that they did not believe it necessary and would not do it. Find yourself one of those places...
Great points!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
So far, none in the JLR, but three in nine years in the JKR, with zero deductible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you want to drive to north county SD I can give you a place. You gotta go through the orange curtain to get to the best place on earth. ;)
Haha! Absolutely! Thank you.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I would hesitate to pay up for the recalibration. It seems to me that the recalibration would be unnecessary. But, I think you just pay for the replacement and if the calibration seems off get it fixed after the fact. With the windshield folding forward and most likely never coming back up to the exact position, it seems the glass doesn't have as much influence on the sensor ability anyways.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Contact multiple shops, and see if they all give you the same or similar prices. Don't tell them about any of the other quotes. I should not cost ANYWHERE near that much to replace the windshield...

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got off the phone with the original shop and explained to them that the windshield folds down and the sensors/camera are not even touching the glass. They admitted that the calibration probably isn't necessary but for liability reasons it is a required process whenever glass on an adaptive cruise/forward collision warning vehicle is replaced. If they didn't calibrate it and the vehicle was in an accident later, it could come back on them. I get that but dang, knowing that the camera isn't connected to the glass, calibration isn't impacted by simply replacing the glass and having to pay an extra $817 for nothing, really sucks. Especially knowing that a day later a rock could hit and break the new glass.

Last edited:

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
Uhhh... fold down the windshield, put the cover over it, turn off the collision warning and adaptive crap and tell them it's disabled. Then reverse that after it's replaced.... if you can....

I get their point, I really do, but I'd seriously want a break down in what that fee entails -- the labor time, etc. See if you can negotiate it based on actual man hours spent on that portion of the work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I just got off the phone with the original shop and explained to them that the windshield folds down and the sensors/camera are not even touching the glass. They admitted that the calibration probably isn't necessary but for liability reasons it is a required process whenever glass on an adaptive cruise/forward collision warning vehicle is replaced. If they didn't calibrate it and the vehicle was in an accident later, it could come back on them. I get that but dang, knowing that the camera isn't connected to the glass, calibration isn't impacted by simply replacing the glass and having to pay an extra $817 for nothing, really sucks. Especially knowing that a day later a rock could hit and break the new glass.
I understand their perspective. CYA. Find you a shop who wont require it.

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, RIP.

Same thing on my wife’s Highlander. Safelite would not replace the windshield without recalibrating. Spectrum said it shouldn’t be necessary and it wasn’t.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I just cracked my windshield. Quote is $1,186 because of the adaptive cruise/collision warning. My last JL didn't have the Advanced Safety package and a replacement was only $369. Does the $1,186 sound about right or do I need to keep shopping?

1660662726908.png
It might not recalibrate if you are lifted with bigger tires. Will be interested to see what happens…

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Doesn't your insurance cover windshield replacement. $100 no deductible across my vehicles. Cars with the adaptive cruise/lane monitoring, etc. has never needed calibration. I get why calibration would be needed, but new windshield has always been accurate after replacement.
Sponsored