Sponsored

How much can we reasonably tow with a 392?

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I know that the tow limit is 3500 lbs., and I don't expect to go beyond that, but I'm wondering if that number is based on the GVWR of the 392 (plus the extra power and the better brakes), or is it based on the structural integrity of the tow hitch, or did Jeep just leave the tow rating the same as all the other Wranglers. I've got to imagine that the big and heavy 392 should be able to tow more than a base Sport.

Compared to the Class IV tow hitch on my Grand Cherokee, the tow hitch on the 392 doesn't seem as stout. But, it looks stout enough to handle more than just 3500 pounds.

I don't plan to do anything crazy, but I do have a utility trailer that I've loaded up with concrete bags in the past. The Grand Cherokee didn't even know it was there, and I'm wondering if it would be dangerous in the 392.
Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Reasonably or safely? Jeep pretty much has a Ram 2500 gas power plant in the Wrangler 392 but the chassis is no where near as robust as the trucks. You can always pull more than the factory ratings but handling and stopping loads is the real test for towing things. I'd err to the specs personally. YMMV.

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tend to agree. That said, this 392 has a higher GVWR than my WJ, the wheelbase is about the same, and I've got a drop hitch that brings the center of gravity of the trailer down to about the axle level. I don't want to experiment on it, but I am curious to hear what others have done and felt "safe" doing it. I've towed around 10,000 pounds with my WJ, and it felt fine - but I only did it for a short distance and I was driving like a granny.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Brake capability for safety, and engine cooling system capability, will also play a part in it. These were two of the main issues that the Factory had with the Gladiator higher towing capacity.

Jhint77

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Keep in mind that its about controlling of the towed trailer. Not the power of the engine in the pulling vehicle. The extra power is great at getting up to speed but if you cant stop or safely execute a lane change at speed its kind of pointless. I would keep to the factory rating personally.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As others have mentioned, I'd be wary of the brakes. My Jeep is about as heavy as yours, and the brakes need a lot of advance notice before stopping me.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would not exceed the rated max tow capacity.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
European JLU'S get a 4400lb tow rating and Australian models get a 5500lb rating. There are 0 differences in the chassis, drivetrain, or cooling system. Potential liability issues aside (which is still a stretch in my opinion), the JLU can clearly safely tow 5,500lbs as it doesn't know which continent it happens to be towing on.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
European JLU'S get a 4400lb tow rating and Australian models get a 5500lb rating. There are 0 differences in the chassis, drivetrain, or cooling system. Potential liability issues aside (which is still a stretch in my opinion), the JLU can clearly safely tow 5,500lbs as it doesn't know which continent it happens to be towing on.
The difference isn’t in the vehicle at all, it’s in how driver behavior differs. Ever seen that guy rolling down the interstate in a 4 door Honda Accord pulling another vehicle on a UHaul tow dolly at 75 mph? Because drivers here aren’t as knowledgeable and safe as in other places, they dumb down the towing capacity because Americans don’t know when to drive 45 or 50 with a towed load instead of 65 or 70. Or allow proper spacing for braking and unexpected evasive maneuvers. Drivers in a lot of the rest of the world do. Except most of Latin America.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
My boat weighs about 2600 lbs. Toss in the trailer and all the extras and I’m likely close to 4000 lbs. total. I tow it regularly with my 3.6l ‘18 JLUR with no complaints or concerns.

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Just so that it's been said, keep in mind that there is also the legal issue with exceeding tow rating. If something happens when you're overweight and there's property or bodily damage, most states can fine or jail you. Not to mention the civil liability. To each their own though, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what they can or can't tow.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Great video here. Doesn’t necessarily answer your question. But does demonstrate that tow vehicle weight and wheelbase matters. I have been towing very heavy lately with my 1 ton and found this vid to be awesome.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just so that it's been said, keep in mind that there is also the legal issue with exceeding tow rating. If something happens when you're overweight and there's property or bodily damage, most states can fine or jail you. Not to mention the civil liability. To each their own though, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what they can or can't tow.
Of course if you are in an accident large enough to be investigated, odds are your trailer contents are everywhere and/or your boat is in pieces. I seriously doubt they are collecting everything from the side of the freeway to go and weigh it to prove you were over the rated capacity by a few hundred pounds? Any good lawyer will claim that half the crap they weighed was from the debris already on the side of the freeway and didn't come from your trailer. Obviously towing 8-10k lbs with a wrangler is asking for trouble, but a few hundred lbs over our "rating" while a thousand lbs or more under the Australian rating for the same vehicle? Find me one case as I doubt it's ever happened.

OP
OP

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many good comments, thank you all. I've been reading through the specs on the tow package with the 392, and sometimes I come across "trailer sway control" or something to that effect. I can't find anything in the car that would activate a trailer sway control system, and I'm wondering if that's a misprint.

I also can't find anything about trailer brake controls. I have that on my WJ, and it definitely makes towing easier. I wonder if a class II hitch is limited in that respect. I guess I need to do some Googling when I have a chance.

In any event, 3500 - 4000 pounds is probably plenty for what I need. My utility trailer is about 1500 pounds, has electric brakes, and can easily haul 2500 pounds. That would put me right at the limit, but I rarely tow for long distances and never at speeds above 55 mph.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Of course if you are in an accident large enough to be investigated, odds are your trailer contents are everywhere and/or your boat is in pieces. I seriously doubt they are collecting everything from the side of the freeway to go and weigh it to prove you were over the rated capacity by a few hundred pounds? Any good lawyer will claim that half the crap they weighed was from the debris already on the side of the freeway and didn't come from your trailer. Obviously towing 8-10k lbs with a wrangler is asking for trouble, but a few hundred lbs over our "rating" while a thousand lbs or more under the Australian rating for the same vehicle? Find me one case as I doubt it's ever happened.
I'm saying it can happen, which is completely different from saying that it does happen regularly. As I said, i don't care what people do, no need to be hostile. Either way, it's something OP should be aware of. If he wasn't, now he is.
Sponsored