Sponsored

How much better are the non-LED headlamps on the JL vs the JK?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the stock headlights on my Sport are fine. Glad I don't have LED's as they won't produce heat to melt the snow.
I might have to aim them down a little as I get high beam flashed often and the jeep is a few inches higher than stock.
Sponsored

Jas0n

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My headlights in my 07 jku sucked, but now I have a 2 door JL sport with the base headlights and they are bound and leaps better. I get high beamed constantly though which is starting to get on my nerves. No lift at the moment stock tires.
Might need to aim your lights a little lower. I have a 2 door sport and haven’t been flashed at all yet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I picked up my 18 JLUR from a dealer in Gilroy CA on Monday. It was dark when we left and headed south on hwy 101 to Paso Robles. I drove it and tested the high and low beams along the way to get used to it. They were 'adequate'. Not great, not bad. I've had better reflector halogens in my 08 silverado and worse, much worse, halogen projectors in my 14 Sierra. I finally installed some factory 16-17 LED headlight housings in the Sierra. Fixed.

I will likely upgrade the JLUR halogens, but not with some makeshift aftermarket stuff. I've learned to hate dealing with aftermarket headlight wiring.

Sulo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I have not read all four pages of the thread, but after reviewing the first couple p[ages on this topic I will chime in.

My JLU Sport has been great as far as the small things. The Halogen headlamps seem perfect enough for me at this time as they are quite bright and can always replace the bulb if unhappy. My first take on them versus the JK base headlamps was that it felt like they were slightly better than the prior model. I know it isn't a true indication, but standard driving at night causes a lot of drivers to flash their lights at me assuming my brights are on. I can easily hit a bumpy trail at midnight going 30-40mph in the hills without any peripheral visual issues.
The main talking point I hear more than anything in the base appearance of the LEDs during day time at my local shop. A lot seem to like the "look". Functionality is completely satisfactory for me.
Any comments welcome...

HAPPY TRAILS!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
After two JKUs I would say the JLU stock halogen lights are a slight improvement. Obviously the housings are larger, so you're getting a little bit more output but they seem to do a slightly better job. However, they are still terrible and one of the first upgrades I always do is to the headlights so I can have at least some field of view on my rural roads at night.

Keep in mind that most of the JLs I've seen are coming from the factory with the headlights aimed higher than spec. Not sure why they are doing this, but it's the reason guys are getting flashed all the time.
Sponsored