Sponsored

How much additional equipment is needed for 37s vs 35s?

malogos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2018 BRZ tS
On my JKU, I was running 35s on a 3.5" lift (AEV SC kit). I also regeared and got a beefier rear bumper for the larger tire.

I have a 2-door JL on order, and I'm debating going to 37s... how crazy is that? It's mostly for offroading purposes (it's not really a DD, since I bike to work, have no kids, etc, but I do need to drive about an hour to the trails in the summer and skiing in the winter), so I assume I'll also get a 3.5" and regear. But what else will I need to do? Bigger brakes? New fenders? How much extra weight will I gain and performance will I lose?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
If you have a Rubicon on order, you won't need bigger brakes. I am going to truss and C Gusset mine, just to be safe, but it may not be necessary with the beefier axle and steering components.

OP
OP
malogos

malogos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2018 BRZ tS
Ya, it's a Rubicon. The brakes do feel a bit weaker with the JKUR on 35s, but the weight difference might be larger.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Ya, it's a Rubicon. The brakes do feel a bit weaker with the JKUR on 35s, but the weight difference might be larger.
The brakes on the JL are MUCH better than the JK brakes. Big brake kit comes standard on Rubicon.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You won’t need anything but a 2.5” lift. No gears needed. It’ll do 90 up a mountain pass on 37s. Handles great and rides great. Only thing you will need to do is reshape the rear plastic fender liner and go have fun. Literally needs nothing. This JL is a beast and rides like a dream.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You won’t need anything but a 2.5” lift. No gears needed. It’ll do 90 up a mountain pass on 37s. Handles great and rides great. Only thing you will need to do is reshape the rear plastic fender liner and go have fun. Literally needs nothing. This JL is a beast and rides like a dream.
This.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I am going to truss and C Gusset mine, just to be safe, but it may not be necessary with the beefier axle and steering components.
Curious how you're going to gusset the C's since they're aluminum and the axle housing is steel.

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I'm taking the same route with bumping up to 37s. Doesn't make sense to go 33 to 35 and just liked the look of 37s on a JK and thinking on the JL might just a prerequisite.

Not hijacking and thinking the same as the OP. Would the OP and myself even need a lift if going to flat fenders? The 35s already fit with the highline fenders on the Rubi and thinking aftermarket options might allow 37s. I'd rather stay as low as possible and not needing a lift is another cost that can be removed. South Florida offers few rock crawling options so off-road almost limited to trails and such for me.
Sponsored